“Brunch at the Brownstone”
Review of Brownstone Bistro

Brownstone Bistro
Ranked #548 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$12 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Family owned Italian/Continental fusion restaurant. We have been a staple in the Yonge and Wellesley community for the past 13 years. Just recently we underwent a major renovation courtesy of the TV show Restaurant Takover on the Food Network. Ambiance is elegant and classy without being pretentious or stuck up. Our exceptionally-trained staff provide our guests with fast and efficient service while ensuring they feel relaxed and comfortable, never rushed. But most importantly, they make sure our guests feel welcome in our home.
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just returned home from a cold but great visit to Toronto. Great city with great restaurants but Brownstone was our favourite hands down. We visited on 2 occasions thru our stay,dinner was great but Sunday brunch was amazing. From our complimentry mini muffins,fresh fruit,great choices of egg dishes, we were impressed,also enjoyed the Sunday ceasar special,overall terrific including our service,it will be on our to do list on our next visit to Toronto.

Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review. We always love hearing from our guests visiting from out of town!

Great to hear you enjoyed both your brunch and dinner. We have worked extremely hard over the years to ensure both the brunch and the dinner provide our guests with premium dining experiences while offering reasonable prices. Terrific to see the hard work has paid off.

Thanks again for the review. Hope to see you again next time you are in Toronto. All the best!

There are newer reviews for Brownstone Bistro

Reviewed 5 January 2014

On a cold winter day, we were wandering up Yonge St to Yorkville when we decided it was too cold. We took refuge inside Brownstone. We had a wonderful window seat and extremely attentive service! Great to watch the others freeze on Yonge St as I enjoyed my Creemores. The best news it was $4 Creemore Day! (Tuesdays).

The sandwiches were delightful! I had Californian Chicken. It was served in crisply-grilled multigrain bread with chicken, cheese (mix of cheddar and mild white cheese), some guacamole highlighted with a tantalizing mango chunks in a salsa! My other half was equally pleased with the club wrap!

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. We always love hearing positive feedback from our guests!

That's terrific to hear you enjoyed the California Melt and Clubhouse Wrap. Those are the two most popular dishes on our lunch menu. We have made one slight change since your last visit though. Since we no longer carry Creemore, we now feature Mill St. Tankhouse Ale at $4 a pint every Tuesday.

Thanks again for the terrific review. Hope to see you again now that the cold weather is gone and the patio is open. All the best!

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Overall this restaurant was satisfactory, the food was ok, and the service was slow. I don't think I will go back.

1  Thank Hfxexp

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We always value our guests thoughts and opinions, whether they are positive or negative so thank you.

My apologies that the experience was only satisfactory. I know this was a few months ago but I would love to know a little bit more about your meal to find out why it was only satisfactory. If you have time, feel free to e-mail me at mark@brownstonebistro.ca and hopefully we can discuss this matter further and try to rectify the situation.

Thanks again for taking the time to write a review. I hope we can sort this out for you. All the best. Look forward to hearing from you :)

Reviewed 19 December 2013

On the plus side: decor and ambience are perfect for a bistro, and after a big initial hiccup, the service was excellent. My guest was very pleased with her order, so that was a plus.
In this part of the city, there aren't many bistro-style places like this, so it is a welcome sight along this section of Yonge Street.

The negative: they have to focus on execution. We ordered the seafood special (grilled salmon, shrimp, calamari trio), and it was simply not very good. The portion of salmon was small, and 1 piece was still raw in the middle. The calamari was rubbery and tasted like it was previously frozen. The menu advertised a 'spinach-potato quiche', which was just mashed potatoes. For $24, I expected a lot more.
My pasta order was decent, but definitely nothing to rave about. The fantastic sauce didn't mask very overcooked chicken and sausage, which was a shame.

The other issue was the wait for service. It appeared that our server was doubling as the bartender, which makes no sense for a restaurant of this size. We finally had to go order our food from her at the bar after waiting for 15 minutes after she delivered our drink order.

I wouldn't rule out another visit, but I would definitely order something else that (hopefully) delivered better value.

Hi,

Although I am happy to hear you enjoyed the decor and the service (eventually) our apologies that you found the food quality to be lacking. I assure you, this is not something typical of the Brownstone. I firmly believe we have improved since the time of your visit with numerous policies implemented in the kitchen to ensure the quality of food is top notch. We have also made some additions to the kitchen staff which have helped us grow and advance. Although we still do have servers who double up as bartenders, we have brought in more staff to alleviate the amount of work each server has to ensure the guest has an overall more enjoyable experience.

Thanks again for your honesty. Without you telling us the truth, we would not know where we would need to improve so thank you for that. Hope to see you again soon. All the best!

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Made a reservation on-line, stating it was a birthday for my girlfriend. Brownstone made our experience wonderful and memorable!

Will be visiting again!

Rovin

Mark Y, Owner at Brownstone Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Hi Rovin,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We know how busy a time of year this is for everyone so for you to take the time to write a review, it really means a lot to us so thank you.

Can't tell you how pleased I am to hear we were able to contribute to a memorable birthday. Special occasions are something we take incredibly seriously at the Brownstone so it's so great to hear everything went well.

Thanks again for the terrific review Rovin. We wish you all the best this holiday season!