“Spice Galore”

Cuisines: Indian
Neighbourhood: West End
Neighbourhood: West End
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We were a group of three adults and one child for dinner at Curry Twist. Usually we have take-out from North of Bombay but I had read some decent reviews on this place from NOW Magazine and decided to give it a try. Our group was most impressed. Each dish was very unique and had a completely different flavour then the next one (not something I can say about North of Bombay that is okay but all the dishes taste very similar). You can tell that they use high quality spices. We ordered Naan and Paratha (which were not on the menu but they made them for us in any case) cooked perfectly in the tandoor oven. We started with the Aloo Tikki, which in my opinion was heavenly. It had the perfect amount of heat that disappeared as you swallowed it and very complex flavours in the sauce, which included ginger and cinnamon. We had the Butter Chicken (lovely), Chili Shrimp (great flavour and heat) and the Lamb Madras (loved the coconut in this one – lamb was soft and fell apart easily). We also had the Dal Amritsari and my personal favourite was the Baigan Bharta (apparently they smoke the eggplant before it is cooked and there is a beautiful smokiness that I was told the chef thought suits the North American palate – he was spot on).

Overall, this is a cozy restaurant in the Junction that will definitely become our regular place to have a decent Indian meal. Since our favourite Indian restaurant closed some 20 years ago, we have been hard pressed to find a decent replacement – but I think we have found it in the Curry Twist.

2  Thank Biko27

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We saw nothing wrong with flipping open a laptop computer after our meal to review some work. It's that kind of place. And the kind of place that greets you with the open kitchen when you walk in, so nothing to hide but good food being made. We shared the stuffed bread roles and aloo tikki - the former was better than the latter. Then for our mains, we had chicken pasanda and lamb madras. Two orders of their awesome fire baked naan were needed to sop up the great flavours. I finished off with creamy Indian tea which I had never tried before. It was like a chai latte, but clearly the real thing. The service was very attentive - there is no shortage of hospitality here. My only complaint was the hard chairs, so don't think you can linger around too long after you finish your meal.

1  Thank myounder
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This restaurant is consistently excellent. I have going there for many year, have tried many specials as well as menu items and always find it very enjoyable at a reasonable price. It is imporant to arrive before 6:15 or else you may have to wait. The owner is friendly and the service is good. The eggplant is one of my favorites and the nan is absolutely delicious. Usually go there about once a month.

1  Thank Ken S
Reviewed 1 February 2013

After hearing wonderful reviews about Curry Twist we finally stopped in and it was fantastic! It's a small place but all the tables were full and the take out line was about 6 people deep. The naan bread melts in your mouth and the food flavours are great! We can't wait to return

2  Thank lemon38
Reviewed 26 January 2013

Been there few times already and I LOVE it!
It is a cute little restaurant with good food & good service!

My Favorites: The Naan Bread & Chicken Masala