“Worst Restaurant Experience Ever”
Review of Il Gatto Nero

Il Gatto Nero
Ranked #1,435 of 9,006 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Neighbourhood: Little Italy
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I went for a dinner with a friend. When we received our cocktails we had a sip then I noticed there was not just one fly in her friend drink but dozens & dozens & dozens of them. She was very disgusted by it. Clearly they had not properly washed their glassware so fruit flies went for what was left in the class. Then they must have not checked the martini glass before pouring my friend's drink. As I worked in the restaurant/bar industry for numerous years this is truly disgusting. Our server dealt with the situation so poorly. She took away the drink, came back said it was contaminated after at least five minutes (no kidding!). She said we wouldn't have to pay for it then rushed off without offering my friend another drink. Then when she finally came back we asked to cancel our food. She said we could not then left. She came back with the salad that we were going to split. We didn't touch it & we just asked for the bill. She left. This entire time she was completely clueless. She was rude, absent & completely unapologetic. After we asked for the bill & said we would just pay for it she came back in 10 minutes & said we would not have to pay for it. We went across the street and had a wonderful meal at La Forchetta. At least it is something that my friend & I always look back on & laugh at. However, when I told the story to two other friends they also had a horrible experience. One of them had a server who was constantly smoking when she came over to their table. Very bizarre...

Reviewed 17 June 2012

Found this place during little Italy weekend. Food excellent service good. Will go back.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Great people. Great food. Great experience. People at the Mod Club directed us there and are we ever glad they did! Melinda I am still raving about your Latte building skills!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Great hangout spot.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 18 June 2008

Everything I've had here is great. Love the grilled calamari. Big portions reasonable prices.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook