“Home-cooked meals in an at-home atmosphere”
Review of Izba

Izba
Ranked #5,071 of 8,899 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Polish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Etobicoke
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I really like this restaurant. I love the decor and atmosphere: homey, lots of wood in the decor, nice Christmas- themed tablecloths. All that was missing was a hearth!
I ordered a pork and perogie dinner which came with delicious potatoes and garnish.
The perogies were prepared especially well. Boiled, not fried and went well with the sour cream (as they tend to :)
Prices are moderate, though there are daily specials at a reduced price.

Overall, I truly enjoyed this place and will be back.

1  Thank ironllama

Reviewed 1 December 2013

It's clear that whoever's taken over running Izba figured it would be easy to take over this once really charming restaurant. WRONG. Food is awful. Truly inedible, frozen food and generally weird tasting. The borscht was so sweet it tasted like they dumped a bag of sugar into some red food colour. And according to the City of Toronto Dinesafe website, they've had some serious issues with food safety and cleanliness recently. Obviously they're in way over their heads. I was mortified to bring guests here.

2  Thank Zizi J
Reviewed 18 November 2013

For the past 15 or so years I split my time between Los Angles and Toronto. Today I happen to be in the TO and decided to have a quick bite at a favorite old haunt, The Izba restaurant in Etobicoke (Toronto) ON. Unfortunately this was a very bad choice.

What used to be a great place for polish food and especially schnitzel with super friendly staff, sparkling clean and always packed is now a total dive. Okay this might be a push but the total declines in standards across the board is accurate to the letter.

First I was met by an unkempt lady with a filthy hat who politely suggested I sit anyway. This was a no brainer as no one else was seated. Next came the server who suggested I have a beer. Sounded good to me but didn't taste right. Then another server, cook or what ever (wasn't quite clear who did what) took the beer stating that the tap was not right. Fair enough, I chose water which arrived warm from the tap.

Regardless I marched on and ordered their famed schnitzel. Twenty minutes later it arrived half the size to which I recalled (again fine by me as this smaller portion is more appropriate) but the cabbage and veg underneath was ice cold. Not simply cold but FREEZER cold. The schnitzel while warm (not hot) was HORID and tasteless and the potatoes (large fries) no complaints as I didn't try given I had asked for boiled potatoes.

Sad but true ...

And, the old owners I used to always see day or night ... nowhere to be seen. Perhaps new owners or perhaps they no longer care. Either way ... bye bye Izba from this foodie. And they wonder why next door "Mama Martinos" is still packed.

Doddsy

2  Thank steve d
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Izba restaurant has read all of your comments and we greatly appreciate your feedback. Your concerns will not go unanswered. We will do our best to correct the areas that need improvement. We have been in business for 33 years and could not have done that without the help of our valued guests.
Thank you.

3  Thank Izba648
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Gross! Dirty, not maintained, not organized.....

Food is not fresh nor good. Nothing close to what Polish cuisine should taste like.
I WOULD NOT Recommend it.

They REALLY need to clean that restaurant and all the displays with 1/2 inch of dust and spider webs! Washroom reeks, is dirty and with almost no light....
Tables with sticky and scratched thin plexi glass on them>>>> ??? Cheeesy!

All kinds of cables all over the walls...?? Weird...

I had a horrible experience. Tried quite a few things on the menu, NONE of them were even close to good.

Place has a great potential and a great initial idea, but is not kept up nor taken care of. Very dumpy... Embarrassing for Polish community. :(

Pretty good service though.

3  Thank Aga W