“Thank you from the Clark's”
Review of La Maquette

Dining options: After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Church
Transit: 2 blocks east on King from King Subway station.
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and i both worked in the hotel & restaurant business many years ago in the city. I had sent many people to La Maquette back then as it was fantastic. So it was my wifes 50th last weekend and i was wanting to take her back to Toronto as a surprise including a great romantic dinner. I was looking at some ideas and chose one of my favorites from years past hoping it was still the same. I booked on the web site and we arrived for our reservation at 7PM. We were staying at the King Edward so the restaurant was only 2minutes up the street. To me it is a perfect location, with exactly the feeling I remember. Not overdone, somewhat subdued it was perfect for what i wanted. When we walked in we were greeted right away and had our coats taken. Next with a great smile we were greeted by a hostess who confirmed our reservation and we were escorted to our table on the second floor which i had completely forgotten about. I was so thankful that they had thought ahead and put us upstairs as it was so perfect. It is like sitting in a glass atrium, very open, quiet and private. The tables are completely dressed with lots of candles on the table and in the room which create again a perfect atmosphere. Our waiter Marino was amazing, soft spoken and very professional. The first thing he said was I understand we have birthday tonight, congratulations. I was surprised as i had mentioned it in my online reservation, but i usually don,t expect it. We had a bottle of wine from a very good list. I had soup for appy and she had a salad. Both were excellent. I had beef tenderloin and she had salmon. Both were beyond our expectation, well presented, good portions, cooked exactly the way i asked forit. For desert i had a chocolate explosion of some sort and she had cheesecake. Again both were out of this world. To top it all off it was earth day so they turned all the lights off, lit up more candles and it was incredible. Sorry also forgot we had an acoustic guitar player throughout the evening. The owner of the restaurant Aglaia Kanavas stopped by the tables at least twice to make sure her customers were happy. After we spoke later in the evening we all realized that we like,y new each other back all those years as Aglaia has had the business for 33 years.

Aglaia, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, we will never forget our experience, will be back in June. Please give a big thans to Marino our waiter. I hope I have the spelling correct.

The Clarks

1  Thank Skinno
There are newer reviews for La Maquette

Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife had wanted to go to this Restaurant for some time now so I reserved for Valentine's Day...The restaurant itself was very nice...However, while my dish was good, but over priced for what I ate, my Wife was extremely disappointed with her Bass...Under cooked! Not really the fine experience she was looking for...She ended up eating half of my food. The waiters seemed all pretty old and over whelmed so the service was just average. Not really worth the money at all...

1  Thank Executive93
Ange K, Owner at La Maquette, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you very much for joining us on Valentine's,
I wish I was made aware then about the meal. I do apologize for this and
I am grateful that you are bringing it to me attention.

Best wishes

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This lovely French Restaurant has a romantic atmosphere upstairs. The French food was delectable. Service was superb! Our entire evening was top notch.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had dinner at La Maquette and enjoyed our meal. The food was delicious and well presented; with great portion sizes. We enjoyed the atmosphere but do agree there may be room for moderate renos, while not losing the classic French feel. The prices were rather high but we had a Travelzoo deal that helped soften the sticker shock. We would go back again - only if we had the same discount - otherwise the price-point may be a little high.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Dinner for 4 on the weekend with members of my family. The food was very good and also portion size was good which counters some of the earlier negative comments on this point. Service was also very good as was presentation.
The ambiance was a little off-putting as the restaurant was thinly populated - almost to the point of being deserted on a Saturday night- whereas the adjacent restaurant was full all night. From our working days my wife and I both remember La Maquette as being one of the nicer restaurants in the downtown area and we have enjoyed other meals there in the past but perhaps time has now caught up with it to some degree and patrons have moved elsewhere. There is still a good patio area, food and service very good but no updating in the décor for many years so, all in all, the atmosphere is a little dated and stuffy. As well, we felt the pricing was a little hefty and if it had not been for our good Travelzoo offer which deadened the overall bill somewhat I feel our review would not be quite so supportive.
It might be time for La Maquette owners to take a step back and try to reposition the restaurant before things deteriorate.
Our rating is based upon the food and service rather than ambiance.