“VDay Date”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Jarvis & Front
Transit: Closest streetcar/bus stop is located at King Street and Jarvis Street. Closest subway station is King or Union.
Description: We are a fine dining Italian specializing in cuisines from North Eastern region called Emilia-Romagna region of Italy. Our popular dishes include a variety of pasta (mostly hand-made), risottos, pizzas and cured salami and salumi. Our chef, Gabriele Paganelli has won many awards world wide. You will be pleasantly surprised at our quality and service!
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Nice place for a date. We opt'd for a the prix fix menu which was completely in italian. Great portions and quality, I just ordered two seafood dishes. My mistake. Very friendly. Large menu with many options and translated descriptions.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Four of us had a wonderful dinner here. The staff were welcoming, knowledgeable and attentive, the decor comfortable and interesting. We shared a plate of 3 mixed salumi recommended by the waiter as an app. It was more than enough for the four of us, and came with a sweet wine jelly that nicely complemented the meats, as well as an interesting assortment of breads. The flatbread they served is a kind typical of the Emilia-Romagna region, a bit thicker than pita and drier than roti or naan, and was delicious with the meats and jelly. We had an assortment of pastas and pizza for mains. All were delicious; the pastas al dente and very flavourful; the pizza well made and large enough that it was difficult for one person to finish on their own.

We'd purposely saved room for dessert, and ordered 3 to share between the four of us. I'd read mention in other reviews that portions were small and that the desserts were overpriced. I'm not from Toronto, so don't know what house made desserts in fine dining establishments normally go for in this city. What I can say is that the desserts were exquisitely plated, inventive, very well made and a joy to eat, and I didn't regret spending a penny on them. What I do wish is that I could have tried them all! We ordered the profiteroles, the panna cotta and the molten chocolate cake. The panna cotta was the best I've ever eaten (I liked it better than my own) and was my favourite of the three. This chef knows how to make sauces. And sorbetti. And little finishing touches like the crumbled meringue and candied raisins and nuts he uses as garnishes were wonderful additions to the plates. Portion sizes were fine -- this isn't a place that would serve you a gargantuan piece of cake with three scoops of ice cream, nor would I want them to. They may be expensive, but if you have the money to splurge, I wouldn't miss the final course. Kudos to their chef, a very sweet fellow who came by and spoke to us at the end of the meal. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this restaurant, and would be happy to eat there again.

1  Thank joy m
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We celebrated a birthday in this authentic Italian restaurant. The waiter was excellent. He offered explanations , recommended choices and was so attentive.
The chef came out to welcome us and ask about our meal.
The pasta is divine- the deserts exquisite! Do try this restaurant if you can!

Do

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We're all about authentic food experiences - a fairly new endeavour that we've delved into over the past year or so. This was our first authentic Italian experience, and what a great first one it was!

This restaurant is located in downtown Toronto, but in a somewhat out-of-the way location on Front Street away from all the hustle and bustle. Still, we had no trouble finding it and it was not a long walk at all from our hotel (Hotel Victoria) on Yonge Street.

We walked in and were pleased with the decor and atmosphere, but somewhat taken aback by the lack of patrons. Could this be a bad omen...the negative "taste" of things to come? Not at all, and in fact the contrary is true.

As explained to us by our very friendly and informative server, MIkael, January is a relatively slow month - makes sense. Our fears were alleviated and laid to rest once the food arrived.

We ordered two appetizers - Olive Marinate and Insalata Mista con Parmigiano-Reggiano (salad). This came with two styles of fresh bread (neither of these was Pita Bread - as stated in a previous review). They were both very tasty and one could tell that they were made with fresh ingredients. For our mains, we each chose Ravioli alla Piacentina con Zucca (Piacenza-style ravioli filled with ricotta and swiss chard set in a butter-sage sauce with butternut squash). It was creamy and definitely piqued our taste buds.

As stated, service was fast, informative, polite and friendly. The atmosphere was quiet, clean and calming. The food was very tasty and my only complaint would be that there could have been a bit more of it for the price.

Definitely a positive first Italian dining experience!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

The location of this place is so easy to get to but for me it feels like I have stumbled upon some quaint place hidden on a small street where only the lucky have found it. This is a great, no-frills italian eatery that serves some terrific pasta, pizza, and wine. The best part is that it is reasonably priced. The service was wonderful too - and the chef even came around to check up on us.

This is a great place to check out if you're going to an event at the Sony Centre or ACC.