“Very Disappointing!”

Ranked #514 of 8,473 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$22 - US$22
Cuisines: American, Fusion, Canadian, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: South of Summerhill
Transit: We are located on Yonge Street, just south of the Summerhill Subway station, but the walk up from Rosedale is not too far.
Description: Kicking around midtown since 1978, The Rosedale Diner has earned its status as one of Toronto's most iconic restaurants. Famous for its Bohemian style and Israeli flair, it serves lunch on weekdays, brunch on weekends, and dinner every evening from 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
Toronto, Canada
“Very Disappointing!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I love exploring and venturing into new places to eat. So when my friends invited me to lunch at Rosedale Diner’s, of course I said yes.
One of my friends was super excited to sink his teeth into the duck confit poutine and I was thrilled to be going to a restaurant that featured on the Toronto episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
We got there around 2ish. Parking just around the corner. Small restaurant with a cozy vintage décor. So far, so good.
Unfortunately they were still serving brunch so we couldn't order any of the specialties of the house.
What I order was the Estis Zesty Salad. What I got was an average hummus with soggy salad, 3 small greasy falafel balls and a tiny pitta bread.
The waitress landed my dish on the table and I honestly kept waiting for the salad to be brought out until I realize THAT was the entire dish.
My concept of an Israeli salad would be something fresh, light, and colorful with plenty of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and parsley combine with a drizzled dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and mint leaves… not something that tasted like it had been sitting in the salad dressing for ages.
My husband tried the Bigger Breakfast. He asked for sunny side-up eggs and end up with crispy, bubbly eggs instead of soft and silky ones. Fries were burned and greasy. My humble home cook opinion is that fries were sliced too thin and they end up cooking too fast. Sausage was crazy hot and the fruit portion consisted of one strawberry, one blackberry and two blueberries.
That being said, I have no idea what the hype is about this place. Very disappointing, pricey food.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank atherezo

Houston, Texas
“Tasty!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I saw this place on Diners, Drives and Drive-thru's....and made a reservation, however; it wasn't needed. The place is very small. We were taken thru the kitchen to be seated in the patio area. I was happy to see the same chef as featured on the show. The service was so-so but the food was very good (I wished I hadn't told him I'd seen it on TV). The portions are a little pricey but just the right size, not giving too much food (maybe that's a Texas thing!).

Visited July 2013
Irvine, California, United States
“Meet The Chef”
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We saw this restaurant on "Triple D" so we thought we'd check it out while in Toronto. I have to say that the prices are very high.....even for high priced Toronto! Also, if you don't eat Beef, Lamb, Duck or Fish there is only 1 Chicken dish ( they ran out!) and a bland vegetarian dish. The Duck Poutine was very salty. Other than that our other food was excellent and the service was good.

We mentioned that we saw the show and Chef Chris came out and was very nice to my 83 year old Mother-In-Law.

• Visited July 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Tired.”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Rosedale Diner sits comfortably at the bottom of a list of nearby restaurants. It's a little rougher, a little more casual in the kitchen where the opposite of casual is careful. A lot of people feel quite at home here so this long popular local establishment enjoys continuing success but choosing another restaurant in the neighbourhood might save a newcomer a disappointment.

Visited June 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Nice atmosphere but overprice”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Well decorated backyard, services was great. Open kitchen you will pass by to get to the back yard.

Food was over price especially the side dishes. A single roasted pepper for $1.50. Maybe is the neighborhood.

Visited June 2013