“Inexcusabley poor service”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: South of Summerhill
Transit: We are located on Yonge Street, just south of the Summerhill Subway station, but the walk up from Rosedale is not too far.
Description: Kicking around midtown since 1978, The Rosedale Diner has earned its status as one of Toronto's most iconic restaurants. Famous for its Bohemian style and Israeli flair, it serves lunch on weekdays, brunch on weekends, and dinner every evening from 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
“Inexcusabley poor service”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I have been to Rosedale Diner many times over the past 20 or 30 years. And have always had a fondness for the food and ambiance.

My last -- and final visit -- was on Canada Day (Tuesday July. 1). We asked to sit outside -- in a patio which offered a mixed anbiance of quaint but dingy.

On this national holiday, Only a special brunch menu was available. There really was nothing I could eat on the menu (due to dietary restrictions) other than the side green salad. I asked the hostess if any other salads could be ordered. I was told no. So, I asked our server if I could just get a large green salad. I was told no -- they only have small green salads. Really? A restaurant that can't make a large green salad when a small green salad is on the menu???

They have been at this too long and are no longer in the service business. We got up and left and told our server on the way out we were leaving as there was nothing in the menu that I could eat. No reaction. She couldn't have cared less. The apathy of the hostess and the server was so thick, it could have been spread with a knife!!!

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Karenkd

Santa Maria di Leuca, Italy
“A Great Different Restaurant”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The food is different & most tasty. The owner & the team are nice & friendly. You may ask their advice & you'll not get wrong.
Try The Duby Smoky Burger & you'll realize the difference.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank mottibi
Toronto
“Delicious Winterlicious”
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Just enjoyed a delicious dinner. Awesome Digby Scallops and a hummus appetizer that could have easily been for two that I managed to 'almost' finish. Small and lively - full on a Tuesday night means I;m not the only one that loves the food!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Lynn S
Toronto, Canada
“Very Disappointing!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I love exploring and venturing into new places to eat. So when my friends invited me to lunch at Rosedale Diner’s, of course I said yes.
One of my friends was super excited to sink his teeth into the duck confit poutine and I was thrilled to be going to a restaurant that featured on the Toronto episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
We got there around 2ish. Parking just around the corner. Small restaurant with a cozy vintage décor. So far, so good.
Unfortunately they were still serving brunch so we couldn't order any of the specialties of the house.
What I order was the Estis Zesty Salad. What I got was an average hummus with soggy salad, 3 small greasy falafel balls and a tiny pitta bread.
The waitress landed my dish on the table and I honestly kept waiting for the salad to be brought out until I realize THAT was the entire dish.
My concept of an Israeli salad would be something fresh, light, and colorful with plenty of chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and parsley combine with a drizzled dressing of lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and mint leaves… not something that tasted like it had been sitting in the salad dressing for ages.
My husband tried the Bigger Breakfast. He asked for sunny side-up eggs and end up with crispy, bubbly eggs instead of soft and silky ones. Fries were burned and greasy. My humble home cook opinion is that fries were sliced too thin and they end up cooking too fast. Sausage was crazy hot and the fruit portion consisted of one strawberry, one blackberry and two blueberries.
That being said, I have no idea what the hype is about this place. Very disappointing, pricey food.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank atherezo
Houston, Texas
“Tasty!”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I saw this place on Diners, Drives and Drive-thru's....and made a reservation, however; it wasn't needed. The place is very small. We were taken thru the kitchen to be seated in the patio area. I was happy to see the same chef as featured on the show. The service was so-so but the food was very good (I wished I hadn't told him I'd seen it on TV). The portions are a little pricey but just the right size, not giving too much food (maybe that's a Texas thing!).

Visited July 2013