“The Ultimate Fine Dining Experience”

The David Duncan House
Ranked #176 of 8,474 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Canadian, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: North York
Woodbridge, Canada
“The Ultimate Fine Dining Experience”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I am a regular diner at the David Duncan House. However my first experience dining there under the new management was two months ago when myself and a group of friends, all of which where first timers to the David Duncan House, decided to try it. I must say from the moment we walked in we loved the atmosphere and ambiance, the place looked fantastic. We were welcomed with a warm smile and hello from Jimmy and Bill. We were immediately taken to our table. The service was impeccable, We were never neglected by the restaurant staff. Now for the food, I had the rib steak which was cooked to perfection; my friends had the prime rib which in their words was out of this world both in size and taste. They all agreed this was the best prime rib they ever had. Throughout dinner we just could not help but emphasize how great the food was as well as the service. After dinner we capped off the evening with dessert. The dessert was also fantastic. The creme brule is to die for!!. We left this fine establishment feeling like kings. Since this initial visit, we have been back for lunch and are planning to come back for dinner. This is definitely quite the fine dining experience and would recommend it to everyone.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Joe F

Toronto, Canada
“Okay but not great”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I used to come here with my family about every 2nd or 3rd saturday night. Then about 8 months ago or so the ownership has changed and it has never been the same. The service has gone down, as well as some of the standards.The waitress we had was just not fine dining material. We really did love this place and have only been back about 3 times in the past 8 months hoping they could get there act together, still disappointed. The service is not great anymore but the food is still good.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Steven1699
Toronto, Canada
“Ok, nothing special”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My spouse and I dined at the Duncan House for the very first time. The ranking on Tripadvisor concerned us a bit but we thought we would try it anyway.

When we entered our first thought was "wow, it's really dark in here". And this was in the early afternoon. The décor is dark! Dark coloured carpet, dark wood panelling, dark drapery, and antique sconces and chandeliers. As soon as we were seated we were provided a menu, wine list, and asked what we wanted to drink. They immediately came back with our drinks, garlic bread, and an appetizer containing pickles, cottage cheese I think, and olives. Not what you would expect considering the establishment is categorized as fine dining. Then 10 minutes passed and we didn't see anyone else. We flagged a person to take our order and our wine selection. We ordered a garden salad to start followed by the seafood (Sea Bass and Halibut). The salad was iceberg lettuce with dressing, nothing great. Again, not what you would expect from a fine dining restaurant. The seafood was decent, cooked properly, and had carrots and green beans presented on the same plate. Nothing spectacular but decent.

I can't say we were impressed but can't say we were disappointed either. What I can say is this is not considered to be a fine dining restaurant in our honest opinion

• Visited May 2014
toronto
“VERY DISAPPOINTED”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The owner has changed. This used to be my regular place. Since the ownership change, I have ordered dinner there....Spare Ribs...It had a barbeque sauce that resembled ketchup. Way over priced. The female bartender when ordering a red wine...took it upon herself to open the more expensive bottle without asking us.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank sandra t
David D, Owner at The David Duncan House, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you for your review.
We encourage constructive feedback and effectively apply it to ensure our guests' dining needs are met and surpassed. YOU matter to us!
My only question in reading your review is why the bottle of wine was accepted and consumed if it was not what you ordered? You could have returned it and ordered the correct one. We at the David Duncan House do not condone this behaviour from our staff. In fact, this is the first time such a situation has occurred. We take pride in our service from the monent you arrive to the time you leave.

In future, please ask for a manager on duty who will do what it takes to make it right!

Regards,
Management
Markham, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“had a great night”
Reviewed 11 April 2014

OUR family was at The David Duncan House last night and it was such a joy to go to a restaurant and have not only had great food but the staff and waiter were so attentive to us we had the prime rib it was done perfect and we had the seafood and it also was great the portions were very good taste and quality was perfect we had a great 50th birthday and the decor was beautiful thank you we will be back .

• Visited April 2014