“Hit and miss.... for the price, stick to brunch”
Review of The PearTree

The PearTree
Ranked #1,033 of 8,722 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I've been going to this place for several years. It's been hit and miss in terms of food and service.

The place has been around forever. The food when it's good is great. For the price, it could be a bit lower given the other options in the area. The service also is inconsistent I find. I've had to wait for a refill on my water more times than not. I've been a waiter so I know how to wait tables and I'm not sure why they can't seem to understand that if my glass is empty, it should be refilled. They at least aren't pushy on upselling so I'll give them that.

The patio in the back is nice as well.

There aren't a lot of good places other than pubs for brunch but for the price and time to wait, sometimes it's worth it to just make the food at home... or skip food and just make mimosas at home instead for brunch. It does get packed so come early for brunch if you do want to go.

2  Thank frugalexplorer
There are newer reviews for The PearTree

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We came hear for a girl's day out brunch. The back room was lovely and the food was quiet nice. It is standard brunch fare but very nice. We had a lovely time. Not to loud so we could catch up with one another while enjoying our food. I recommend it.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

0 out of 5 and in my opinion a public health concern! I went here for lunch with my girlfriend and ordered 2 bottles of Molson Canadian beer; what I was brought however was not the beer that I had ordered, but a totally different beer in 2 open Molson Canadian bottles (we only drink Canadian and know what it smells and tastes like). When I confronted the manager about it he brought me 2 unopened bottles of Canadian, which when I opened one - voila!- it smelt and tasted like Molson Canadian and entirely different than the other beer they had just brought me. Even the waitress agreed that the beers smelt different but would not go so far as to admit to having given me something else. Now some may agree that beer is beer, but whose bottle was I drinking out of?! And what do they do? Keep some empty bottles laying around to fill with cheap draft beer to make a few extra cents? I'm not one to usually complain, but I feel that using someone else's empty beer bottle to serve beer has got to be against some public health policy and a good way to spread communicable disease! Herpes anyone?!

5  Thank Wade D
Reviewed 3 January 2014

The Pear Tree on Parliament Street in "Cabbagetown" Old Toronto is easy to reach by streetcar or on foot if you are staying in the downtown area. It is welcoming and - important on a snowy winter evening during Christmas week - warm and cozy with friendly service. The menu is varied and "fusion" so there is bound to be something for everyone's taste, including vegetarians. Our starters of onion soup and spinach salad were delicious and almost large enough for a main course by European standards. Mains of provimi liver with caramelised onion and coconut curry chicken penne were equally tasty but the portion sizes defeated us (British wimps!). No room for any of their delicious looking puddings. And they had Alexander Keith's on tap which made my day.

1  Thank Lycomedes
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Located in old Cabbagetown, the Peartree is always a favourite for Sunday brunch. Well priced and delicious, the food is consistently good. Our favourite is blueberry hotcakes (called pancakes on the new menu). They are light and fluffy, and served with Ontario maple syrup. On one recent visit, we were served a basket of complimentary blueberry snacking cake with our coffee on arrival as we waited for our order. Plan not to be in a hurry as the service is slow, but because it is friendly and the food is so good, that is an easy flaw to gloss over. While in Cabbagetown, stroll around to enjoy the antique shops.

1  Thank bevjy