“An absolute jewel - even better than I remembered.”
Review of The Red Tea Box - CLOSED

The Red Tea Box
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Toronto
“An absolute jewel - even better than I remembered.”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Haven't been in a few years and suggested it as a perfect place for a lunch with several friends. It's a bit of truck from the east side of the city, but I have to figure out a way to come back more often. It was a lovely day so we were able to sit on the patio, which is just so charming. It's like Alice in Wonderland meets English Victorian meets Queen St. West. From the outside you would never suspect the visual treats in store for you or for that matter the perfectly executed menu which is immensely enjoyable just to read, as the selection of food and drinks both hot and cold are so creative. Beyond the patio is another room which is completely open to the outside in nice weather.

The lavender lemonade was delicious and the Bento box lunch is filled with truly delectable morsels. We decided to share a few of the amazingly decorated small cakes - they look like gift wrapped desserts and I should have bought some to take home!

The plates and cutlery are also part of the tea party experience with a beautiful selection of Asian and English patterns.

Service is excellent and the server took the time to explain the menu items and to take a group picture.

Can get there by street car but they are far enough west that it's easy to find street parking. Just be careful, the numbers on the south side of the street go up faster than the north side and I ended up grabbing a parking spot a few blocks too soon as it was easier to view the numbers on the drivers side than through the passenger window and I didn't have a helper in the car with me.

Lunch was about $40 including tip with a specialty drink with the Bento box, one of the more expensive items on the menu and dessert and tea. Excellent value.

It is a good idea to check hours before going to make sure they are open. For example, they will be closed a fair bit of August.

• Visited July 2013

Montreal, Canada
“So delicious”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

This place is one of my favorite in Toronto since years...I always come for the high Tea, which is served in Red Japonese Bento Boxes. Their tea is awesome and they offer a large choice of first quality tea. They also have amazing desserts, some gluten free, and some little cakes so cute they looks like pieces of art!

Visited October 2012
“Great Experience!”
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is a unique experience with very good food and great ambiance. Just watch out for their opening ours (for lunch, specially) as they are not of a traditional restaurant. It is definitely worth while!

• Visited May 2012
Toronto, Canada
“an awesome experience each time i go there”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

i have to admit this is one of Toronto's unique gems. its a place you can relax and enjoy at. my one regret that they close for long periods during the summer and winter breaks. the food is a bit pricey but it tastes awesome, everything is fresh, tastes supreme, warm, casual ambience BUT yes service needs a bit improvement. well worth a try and you may end up being a repeated regular customer. pastries, cakes / desserts are on the expensive side.

• Visited January 2012
Toronto, Canada
“good food, lovely ambience, service needs tweaking”
Reviewed 4 February 2012

This was my second visit. A lovely oasis in Toronto, quite unique. Food was very good. I found it odd though, esp. considering our rather substantial orders, that they would not give us a 3rd teeny tiny cookie, 1" square (there were 3 of us) with the tea order, yet we did have 3 cups of tea along with lunch. Apparently they were low on them but the shelves were teeming with the same cookie. Sounds petty of me? Hmmm, we were the customers and I do place customer service very high on my check list when choosing where to take friends for lunch. Do go, it is otherwise worth the trip. I hope they read this and just give it a wee think before one tiny cookie turns into something bigger.

• Visited January 2012