“Beautiful Guest House”

Ranked #72 of 114 Toronto B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Canada
“Beautiful Guest House”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

From the moment we arrived we loved this place. We stayed there with a large group for Canadian Music Week and the staff were very friendly and accommodating. It is in an EXCELLENT location literally right beside the subway station, so we could quickly get anywhere we wanted to. The rooms were clean and cozy, and the architecture of the house was beautiful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Dee503
, Owner at Global Guest House, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review us. We remember you well and that you booked 8 rooms with us for 4 nights. A great bunch of musicians , full of energy and fun. We're delighted that you enjoyed your 4 day stay here and we hope to see you again when you return to Toronto from Winnipeg next year for your annual downtown Gigs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 27 March 2013

If you want quick access to all the great things toronto has to offer, this is the place to stay. Located right beside the main subway station of Toronto, you can get ANYWHERE FAST! Great neighborhood with lots to do and see. Very cozy, charming rooms, fresh and clean. Overall I had a great stay!

• Stayed March 2013
, Owner at Global Guest House, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
We wish to thank whoever wrote this review for taking the time to do so and for being so kind in their evaluation. I am the owner and we are continuously working hard to improve our staff and our facility. We do take pride in our building location and our heritage house designation.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Stay at Global Guesthouse at your Peril. Although conveniently located in the Annex/downtown area, this is where the positives stop. Myself and my girlfriend stayed here for 16 nights, we have recently moved to Toronto from Ireland and thought this would be the perfect place to base ourselves until we found an apartment. Upon our arrival the office was closed, we rang the door bell 4 four times before a guest let us in. I had to ring the owner's cell phone and tell him we had a booking, he was unapologetic and said someone would be there in a few minutes. A lady arrived who helped us check in and informed us that the private room we had booked was situated on the top floor, we were not offered any help with our bags. This lady seeing that we were struggling with our bags simply turned a blind eye. Our Room was far from spacious and smelled of dry damp. Most places that are undergoing refurbishment inform their guests prior to bookings but Global Guesthouse did not. For the entire duration of our stay there were men on the roof banging away from 9am, the hallway looked like a construction site as they were doing up the bathrooms. When we checked in the lady informed us that the refurbishments would take a few days, we didn't mind but they were far from finished when we checked out. For a private room we paid $300 dollors each for that you would expect better facilities, in the Kitchen there was only a fridge and a microwave for as the website says 'cooking light meals'. There was also a washer and tumble dryer in the kitchen which was off limits to guests. For the price the Global Guest House charge you would think that they would at least serve continental breakfast in the morning right? Wrong! The only thing free are the tea bags! The staff were extremely rude, unhelpful and idiotic in every way imaginable. I'd expect this from a 2 star hotel but not from a guesthouse and not for the price we paid. We wanted to stay here because of the convenience of the location and because we didn't want to book into a hostel, we said we would pay the extra money for a private room but in the end we were dying to get the hell out of that place. I could not recommend a stay here, stay well away. There are better, cheaper alternatives around if you are prepared to do a bit of research.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EdMon_12
, Owner at Global Guest House, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
I am the owner and I was not aware that this review was posted. I am very concerned about this as it is absolutely not what we are about. We take pride in our guest house which has been operating continuously since 1953 ( 60th year) and which I personally have been running for 16 years. So let me respond to each of the issues raised by the guest couple who stayed with us for 7 nights (not 16 as noted in their review).
1. Our office is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. 7 days a week. We have 5 phone numbers posted on the front door for guest's to call who are arriving outside those hours . We also have lock boxes on our doorposts where we leave keys for guests arriving in the wee hours of the morning. I personally do not recall answering the phone but a member of my staff might have done so . If indeed it was me I certainly would have been polite as my goal is always to help the guests feel good about their stay here, especially upon arrival. If no apology was given for the delay in answering the phone or in arriving at the door to let them in, then for that I do offer such an apology. Sometimes staff is busy or eating or whatever so a late response in answering is sometimes unavoidable.
2. I am not sure if the guests were complaining about the top floor room that we had reserved for them but we have a 3 story house with 3 rooms on the top floor and we put guests on the top floor if no reason given not to. If a guest does not want to climb stairs we will whenever possible relocate them to the first or second floor. These folks made no mention of such a need when they made their reservation nor at any time during their stay.
3. We do not nor can we offer help with bags unless specifically requested to do so. We are older folks running a mom and pop type guest house and most of our staff are ladies. It puzzles me that a healthy young couple would expect such help to be volunteered as they never asked for assistance. I have stayed in guest houses in the U.S., Europe and Canada and never have i been offered help with my bags (nor did I expect same). If we were a high price hotel with bellhop staff then that’s different.
4. Our rooms are all different. The room we assigned to them (room 10) is one of our larger rooms with a double bed and a sofa bed which we often provide for 4 people, and most of our guests who stay there have rated it quite spacious. It is approximately 150 square feet. The room has an air conditioner so this mention of “dry damp” puzzles me further. But more important, during their entire 7 day stay, this “small size” issue was never brought to our attention.
5. Yes we were making a modification, adding a new bathroom, but we did our best to start work after 10 a.m. not 9 a.m. The hallway referred to was behind their entry to room 11 and in no way interfered with their access . Once again had they told us the proximity to the construction was unacceptable to them we would have made every effort to move them. But no such a mention was ever made to us.
6. Yes indeed we do have a fridge and microwave for guests to prepare and eat light meals. We also provide dishes and table and chairs and free beverages, sugar etc. That is what we advertise on our web site and through the outside agency that this couple used to make the booking with us. Most of our guests are delighted with these “freebes”. But This couple obviously expected more including a continental breakfast. What we offer is very reasonable and I am hard pressed to understand why they would expect so much more at $36 per person per night. But once again during their entire stay they said nothing about this to us.

7. I would have hoped that they would have advised me of the “rude” staff behavior. I recall these folks passing my office door on several occasions and they never said word one to me. One might logically ask, If They were “dying to get the hell out”, why not come in to the office and say they were not happy. We do not encourage unhappy guests to stay. For a valid reason I will give a refund.
8. I must conclude that this was apparently an unhappy couple for reasons other than the quality of our services, possibly their potential relocation to Canada not going too well. I am only guessing here but must say that this bad review was by every reasonable measure unjustified.

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 July 2012

This place was a pleasant surprise. The staff were lovely and helpful, the rooms were nice and tidy. It was a really pleasant no frills guest house.
The free wifi was fast and reliable and the beds were comfy.
The location was good although it was a little too close to Spadina station and any light sleepers might struggle with the sound of the buses until late but we had no problems.
Not for everyone I imagine but it's good for the price and I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jaaam
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Not recommended if you suffer from a dust allergy. Extreemly handy for the Spadina metro/streetcar/bus interchange. Best feature is the wonderfully comfortable squashy sofa in my room but I understand the rooms are to be renovated so I expect this will go then. Yhe kitchen is useful for stretching budgets.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Pam635836
Pokolbin, Australia
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Very Faulty towers feel, the decor is tacky and old, the facilities under appointed and many non functional, but the utterly filthy kitchen and bathroom (hairs, built up soap scum, shower didn't work, unwashed utensils, unhygienic dual use of sink for chemical use and dishes - in a cupboard!! And dust filled room with litter under the bed and hairy blood stained top duvet with no under blanket and lumpy pillows.) Internet is slow, we were misquoted the price of the room then had to debate the new price, and everything smelled mouldy and damp. I had a better stay in a hostel right on Hastings street, Vancouver.. And until today, that was my worst stay ever. The location is GREAT but you couldn't PAY ME to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard M
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I enjoyed my stay at the guest house. For an older building, it was quite well maintained. The service I experienced was very good. The staff was friendly and helpful.
My room was large and comfortable. I had to share a bath, which was clean and tidy.
The location was `great`. Close to the subway, UofT, Museum, shopping and lots of restaurants!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo