“Great Indian lunch”
Review of Utsav

Utsav
Reserve with OpenTable
Utsav is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #369 of 8,847 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Description: Little Indian restaurant with home-made delicious food is a great find. Large portions of hearty food served at great prices.
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Absolutely wonderful Indian food served in a beatiful part of central Toronto. Seemed popular and full of local visitors.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was on a visit to Toronto recently, visiting a friend. We came to Utsav given it was the highest rated Indian restaurant in the city. Goodness knows how.

At about 8pm on a Sunday night, and there were only two other tables occupied when we arrived.
Onion Bhajee's were the most bizarre I have ever seen. A large plate full of tasteless strings of onion slices in greasy batter formed the starter - i don't think I've ever seen anything like it.

After the first glass of water, we had to ask several times for a refill and trying to get a second beer proved just as hard.

The main course arrived, the pilau rice had nuts in - no warning on the menu, and to be fair, they came back with some plain rice when we pointed out a nut alley. The lamb in the main courses was very tender, but the sauce very plain. We finished and before we knew it the bill was on the table - no option for a coffee or another drink.

Whilst I was in Toronto, I had several other Indian meals, I'd rate them all much higher than Utsav, but I was a little shocked at the poor quality of all Indian meals I had, compared with my home city of Birmingham UK.

If you have a choice, I'd try somewhere else.

3  Thank Paulbearuk
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

My friend and I visited Ustav on a warm and pleasant Sunday evening. The restaurant was quiet, having arrived around 9pm. There were 2 members of waiting staff that weren't particularly attentive. I had to ask on several occasions to receive water. We ordered appetizers of Onion Bhaji and Samosas. I have eaten Indian food hundreds of times all around Europe and North America. I can honestly say the quality offered here was THE worst appetizers I have ever eaten.

Onion bhaji is "supposed" to be an onion fritter, what was on offer here was individual pieces of onion deep fried and piled up on the plate resembling twiglets that were, quite frankly verging on inedible. Gloopy and fatty with no taste. We left the plate almost full. The samosas were marginally better. But that's not saying much.

Onto the main course. Very very ordinary. Although the lamb was tender. Naan bread over cooked and stiff.

By this time (9:30pm) the staff were clearing and setting tables, we again had to ask for more beers and water as they were not attending to us and we felt ignored. We finished the main courses and without skipping a beat the lady took away the plates and came back and threw the cheque wallet on the table, she didn't so much as offer a dessert or tea/coffee, we had not asked for the cheque. They couldn't wait to get us out. I must point out that we hadn't complained and had been very polite with the staff. We paid the bill and left.

Not an experience I will be repeating again any time soon, I was particularly baffled as this restaurant had been highly rated. Based on what I saw and tasted, I have absolutely no idea why!

2  Thank Jaretheking
Reviewed 3 June 2014

One of the best Biryani (Chicken) that I have had the privilege of tasting in toronto, and considering how many locations serve it, and how much I love Biryani....that is saying something!!!!

If you can look past the cost and snobby neighbourhood of yorkville, you'll get good food!

1  Thank Jama T
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Please don't leave Yorkville without having a lunch in one the best Indian restaurant in Toronto.
Everything is on the level!

3  Thank Tomislav D