“Really enjoyed the food”

California Sandwiches
Ranked #815 of 8,479 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Italian, Fast food
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: North York
Toronto
“Really enjoyed the food”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I have heard of this place for years but it's nowhere near where I live but I was in the area so I decided to try it out.

They did not disappoint. The sandwiches are quite big and even at about $8 each I thought it was fair value. I tried the veal and the meatball sandwiches and both were delicious. I like how you can choose mild, medium or hot sauces.

Cheese, mushrooms cost extra but jalapenos are free.

Would go again if in the area.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Barry C

Waterloo, Canada
“A Toronto classic!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

There is a style of Italian sandwiches (or if you are more hip, panini) that seems to be unique to the Toronto region -- I've had Italian sandwiches around the world (including in Italy) and I have not encountered the Toronto variation anywhere else. Toronto Italian sandwiches are the product of the wave of Italian Immigration of the 50's and 60's. It features a light but chewy kaiser shaped bun (not chewy like focaccia nor crusty like typical fresh baked "Italian" bread), a very lightly seasoned, thin marinara sauce and a choice of meat. The classic is a stack of breaded veal cutlets, thinly sliced "steak" beef, meat balls, or chicken cutlets. You order them sweet, medium, or hot grades of intensity. Among the many Toronto area joints that serve these, California Sandwiches is considered by many to be the best and possibly the first. I grew up eating the product their main competitor San Francesco's but I have to admit, now that I've been introduced to California, my mind has changed. They're huge, priced well, and you eat with locals. Several outlets throughout the region. Don't forget to order their spicy olives and a cold bottle of Brio chinotto soda!

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Waterloon
Whitby, Canada
“Veal sandwich give me more!”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Great old school sandwich, always busy, bun fresh and sauce way to good with hot peppers. I don't miss this place when I am in this neck of the woods.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Ditmar J
Montreal, Canada
“Best hot sandwich money can buy!”
Reviewed 13 January 2014

I've eaten here on four different occasions. I've had the chicken cutlet sandwich and other times, the vegetarian eggplant parmesan. The sandwiches are all somewhere around $10 (bit less) and you pay extra for toppings. My topping recommendations are mushrooms, hot peppers, and cheese.

Beware, they don't provide cutlery, but ample napkins are provided as your fingers will be messy from the moment you pick up your sandwich.

Eating at the original location in Little Portugal is a special experience...it's like stepping back in time. The decor and atmosphere are very minimal, sparse, and old, but I love that because it lends the place a special charm and is a unique Toronto experience.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank ATripperZ
oshawa
“great veal, terrible eggplant parm”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Have always loved their sandwiches but my eggplant parmesan was tasteless, over fried, sliced too thing and the cheese was mozzarella not even provolone like it once was. Sorry to say that I left very disappointed and this is the first time in years..hopefully it was a one off because it was not a nice sandwich...

• Visited October 2013