“Dining outside makes you believe you are in Europe”
Review of GEORGE Restaurant

GEORGE Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
GEORGE Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 9,075 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$51 - US$120
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Queen and Church
Transit: We are located at 111C Queen Street East, between Church and Jarvis on the south side of Queen. The closest subway stop is Queen. George is about a ten minute walk east from the station.
Reviewed 4 July 2014

George is one of those gems that not too many people know about. Just yesterday while conversing with someone at Pain Perdue and then my Pilates instructor who is a foodie, I mentioned we were celebrating our 41st anniversary at George. Neither had ever heard of it. Too bad for them. We've been going there for years to celebrate very special occasions, especially in the summer. The added bonus it the outside seating.The food is arranged in first, second and mains and you can do multi-course tastings- vegetarian or regular, with wine pairings-which we have done. There is not an abundance of food, rather it is selectively arranged for taste combination and visual appeal. I like that because I can eat slowly and truly enjoy every morsel. So if you want big steaks, and huge portions, George is not for you. I decide to start with the lobster-cauliflower combination which is excellent. There are many elements carefully positioned that bring new insight into what eating might be. My husband begins with duck breast that is smoked and accompanied. He says it is the best he has ever eaten! He also enjoys his next course of lobster,amazed at the combinations that catapaults the usual delicious taste of lobster to something beyond just lobster. His main is ahi tuna beautiful perfectly and barely cooked with its own interesting nuanced vegetables on the plate. Mine is halibut, a circular portion with barely curry spatzlie and pea-sized tomatoes, carrots and such. I might have liked a touch of salt on the halibut just to enhance its flavour.Eating slowly, relaxing, seems to pay tribute to the well prepared food. Desert is a trio of meringue, ice cream, blueberry tarts and garnishes. Years ago, every plate at George offered an amazing trio of offerings but I assume that level of work was too labour intensive to maintain, like an artist doing three minis paintings on one canvas, all million dollar productions. We share the desert and wish we had opted for one each. Even with smaller portions we feel well sated and I actually prefer leaving a restaurant not feeling stuffed. One complaint might be the waiter who seemed to disappear for overly long stretches.However, the charming sommelier more than made up for that neglect as he was attentive, helpful and present.
We started with cocktails, my husband enjoying the gin combo. I had the "sour" lemon juice, amaranth combo that he waiter was obviously was not a fan of. The Austrian wine, Heinrich, also pleased my husband. We and a great 41st and as always, highly recommend George.

1  Thank unhappytraveller123

Reviewed 30 June 2014

A group of our friends did the 5-course tasting menu and it did not disappoint. The bread to start was delicious, and each course was also very good. Be prepared to spend at least 3 hours for a 5-course meal though, it's a long experience. The food is sophisticated but not in a way where the ingredients muddle the dish, but where the ingredients are highlighted well and become the star of each course. Some of the most memorable dishes include the herb crusted lamb, the cold seafood dishes (one swordfish and one lobster), and the squab. My one criticism of the food though was the dessert fell short of expectations. We had three different desserts presented for our table of 6 people, and after trying all 3 of them, none of them were very good. The caramel apple dessert we had was far too sweet. The flourless chocolate cake was too dense and rich. And lastly the chocolate souffle was just subpar. I would rate the meal 4/5 overall if it were not for the poor dessert courses.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

it was a spontaneous visit to a new place but we were pleasantly surprised with the staff efficiency (fast, polite service) and variety of food and its quality. You can either take fix menu with compatible wines by glass or choose from the list. The menu is for any taste and habits - I liked the vegetarian part in particular. The ingredients are mostly local and very fresh, mixed greens and beans supplemented to the main dishes. What's interesting - the wine list is very extensive but you will hardly find famous names... They have lovely terrace in inner courtyard. We will come back for sure. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Friends highly recommended this restaurant so we finally decided to try it out. The appetizer pasta was ordinary even though it was handmade. The lobster and soft polenta was presented in a complicated manner even though the ingredients were quite good. The room is beautiful and the staff was great so maybe they just had an off night.If you are ordering the first or second courses the portions are on the small side. The dessert was very good.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

great service excellent food and I love the atmosphere. Nothing else compares to this place in the city.