“This Doctor has a terrible bed side manner”
Review of Dr. Generosity - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Neighbourhood: West End
Toronto
“This Doctor has a terrible bed side manner”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

True to the experience you'll have at a doctor's office there's a ton of people in the waiting room and they're just pushing you through. If you're coming here with friends and you want to hang out and catch up be aware that when the meal is over, they want you out!

I've been coming to this restaurant for brunch since it opened and know how popular and busy it is and the food has been consistently great. We chose to come here to introduce a friend who is new to the neighbourhood to the restaurant. We had terrible service, I was shocked, I've never had terrible service here before.

I ordered the portobello sandwich and asked for it without the roasted red peppers and was told the kitchen couldn't do that, when I got it I was quite able to pick them all out so I don't know what the big deal was from the kitchen.

The waitress didn't ask if we wanted to be topped up with coffee or tea before presenting the bill. When we asked for more tea she looked pretty put out by the request but obliged and then back shortly thereafter telling us to pay the bill!!! There are so many different ways the same message could have been communicated without being so rude.

We asked to speak to the manager (who was working Sunday, Oct. 27th), and out comes a young woman who hears about how we were getting pushed out and how we had terrible service. She apologized but I've seen better acting from Kristin Stewart in the Twilight Series. It was obvious she couldn't have cared less. We literally stood there looking at her in shock. She asked what else we wanted. I suggest a more meaningful apology considering this is a family business and customer service is important. She could have committed to talking to the employee and assuring us that's not the experience that customers should walk away with. She followed up by apologizing for her apology and saying that she couldn't commit to firing the server! Neither of which is what we were asking for.

When did asking for good customer service and being taken seriously as a customer mean so little? Maybe she didn't care because there was a line up out the door.

If either of the owners had been there to witness that they would have been horrified. I write that because I've seen them there in the past offering excellent service. It just goes to show the power of two individuals, in this case the manager and server, can have a long lasting positive or negative impact on a business based on their individual actions.

Sadly the friend who came for her first time will not return, neither will we. There are so many great places to eat in the city, why go back somewhere you're clearly not wanted.

• Visited October 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Sisters 50th Brunch”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I took my sisters for brunch to celebrate one of their 50th birthday. As they don't take reservations I couldn't make arrangements for a surprise cake beforehand, so I spoke to the hostess as I followed her to my table so my sister wouldn't hear. It worked perfectly. I don't recall our servers name but she was excellent. We had great food,great service, and it was very reasonably priced, so thank you very much for making it special for her.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jacqueline B
Ottawa, Canada
“Always good”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were in Toronto staying with good friends who suggested Dr. Generosity for brunch before we drove home.

We have been here several times before and what is a constant is the great service, attention to detail and good food.

Yes it is small and can get very noisy when busy. If you are coming with a group make sure all arrive at the same time otherwise you will not be seated as they want to make sure all tables are filled which again is due to its size.

Come back again, yes as they take pride in their service and food as well as taking very good care of their clients.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Bill T
Toronto
“Terrific and super-friendly local”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Dr. Generosity is a neighbourhood favourite in Bloor West Village. I first discovered it for brunch, and while packed I was still able to get a seat at the bar. After a couple of brunches I popped by for dinner. Consistently high quality from the kitchen. I would describe the food as traditional pub fare with some creativity, high-quality ingredients and expert preparation. The staff is very friendly and attentive, and make you feel like a regular right away. That's good, because I'm certain to become one.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank KLoveToronto
London, Canada
“What the doctor ordered..”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Good location and very nice place. I went with my boyfriend and we both ordered the Black Oak Nut Brown Ale and it was tasty and served cold with a friendly smile. I ordered the Grilled Fresh Salmon with lemon dill sauce and it was delicious. It was very busy and there isn't much wiggle room but the whole place was very accommodating. Thanks Doctor.

• Visited June 2013