“Great food but poorly managed?”

Montana's BBQ & Bar
Ranked #4,695 of 8,575 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Scarborough
Description: Montana’s is all things BBQ to all people. Whether you’re in the mood for southern style in-house smoked ribs and pulled pork or looking for some Canadian BBQ flavour across our burgers, steaks and sandwiches; Montana’s has the perfect atmosphere to bring the family or meet up with friends. Fire up the good times at Montana’s BBQ & Bar!
Toronto, Canada
“Great food but poorly managed?”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

When our first choice of restaurant (which was closer to Scarborough Town Centre) was over-crowded on a Saturday night after seeing a movie, my husband and I decided to cross over the highway to go to Montana's for a late dinner. Having dined at Montana's many times while living in Ottawa, where it was always packed with huge line-ups at every location on any weekend, I was shocked to see the place so empty!

We stood at the entrance for about two minutes before anyone even acknowledged we were standing there (hence the poor rating for service). When a server finally approached us, she brought us to our table with little energy, and disappeared. This was a far cry from what I was used to from this chain.

The other customers in the room were almost exclusively young and black, not that it mattered to us, but we did get more than a few looks.

Our waitress, however, was sweet, and the food was great. I had a pulled pork sandwich which was amazingly tasty, and un-messy for that type of sandwich. They must marinate the meat so they don't have to slop the sauce on at the end. Great idea, great result! My husband had a burger and loved it, and we both left far too bloated, yet again. We really have to stop this. ;)

All in all, I have to question the management of this restaurant. If you don't have a hostess, you have to ensure your servers acknowledge and greet customers promptly and energetically. Marketing for cinema-goers and mall customers is a MUST. And a restaurant like this can't become a teen hang-out, or you'll drive away business from your target market, which should be those who can afford the large meals + tip, rather than nursing pops and sharing fries. It's a tough location for this calibur of restaurant, but with proper management and marketing, it could do well.

• Visited April 2013

Toronto
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Our experience at Montana's”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I visited Montana’s in Scarborough for the first time on a Friday, on March 8.
I liked the décor; the place had a rustic feeling, like a chalet/cabin in the mountains. My group and me were greeted by the Restaurant Manager, who was welcoming and seated us to our table. The restaurant was not busy at all because it was around 5 PM, between lunch and dinner.
The first server did not seem very energetic, but at least he was polite and he wrote his name on the table. We ordered a few drinks and kept drawing on the paper that was on the table.
Afterwards, our server changed and we ordered appetizers (chicken wings, pita with dip and sweet potato fries). Wait time for the appetizers was around 20 minutes, which is more than the standard.
Food was good, but nobody came to check up on us, to see if we need our water refilled, another drink or maybe we’d like to order a main course/desert.
Service was NON-EXISTENT! I felt ignored, even though I chose to spend my money there. Even though the restaurant was almost empty, servers were cleaning other tables at which the guests already left.
At the end, when we asked for the bill, I asked Tamar, our server: “How come nobody clears out the plates?” I told her that stacked empty, dirty dishes is not a nice view to have in front of your eyes long after you finished eating. Instead of apologizing, she asked me ironically: “Yeah, you like that in a restaurant, don’t you? You like clean plates?”. I was appalled. Nowhere have I been talked to so rudely. She asked me if I wanted the receipt and initially I said no. I changed my mind because I wanted to fill out the customer service survey. Tamar kept ironically repeating “Beautiful” and remained obnoxious until the end.
I have NEVER complained to a manager in a restaurant, but I did this time. We did not receive any service recovery at all, nothing except an apology. I would never go back again to Montana’s in Scarborough.

• Visited March 2013
“Incompetent Management”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

Went with the family for Family Day. We were a party of 10 and arrived early - 4:30 pm. The hostess told us they didn't have a table for us, despite the restaurant being half empty. When we pointed to the table right beside the entrance that was empty, she shrugged and said she couldn't seat us there. We asked to see the manager and watched her go over to the manager, who looked at us and shook her head and refused to come and talk to us. We were speechless.

Never will eat at a Montana's again.

• Visited February 2013
Whitby, Canada
“So much for service...”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I used to go to this location a few times a month many years ago. The service and quality of food were really exceptional at that time. When "they" started changing the menu, a few of our favourite dishes disappeared, so did we! That, and the food quality seemed to be waining.

Fast track 3-4 years, and I decided to give them another chance. The service was great, and so was the food. I just came back from my second trip this month to Montana's, and the service sucked big time!!

We went to the restaurant at 7pm on a Saturday and were told that there would be a 20 minute wait to be seated. We waited for over 45 minutes. During our wait, there were 4-6 other groups waiting for a table as well. Many of the customers were complaing, wanting to know why the long wait....especially when there were many tables that were empty.

As we were finally being seated, we asked what the delay was. The hostess told us that they were instructed by the manager not seat customers, so that the kitchen could prepare food for a party that was in the restaurant!!! So we sat there fuming knowing that any entre order would take an hour, since we weren't priority.

5 minutes goes by, and no waiter is to be seen. While we're waiting for so much as peep from a waiter, a couple gets seated next to us. Oddly enough a waiter attends to them promptly, and were still there waiting for anyone to come by our table. My wife grabs the nearest restaurant employee and asks to see a manager.

We complained, got up...and left. An hour wasted! We won't ever go back!!!

• Visited December 2012
Toronto, Canada
“A-MA-ZING Service and awesome ribs!!”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My mom took us to Montana's in Scarborough early this summer. My daughter enjoyed the theming and atmosphere so much, she wanted to go back again. Yesterday, my parents took our family here for my daughter's birthday and we had such a fantastic time.

Our server ASHLEIGH was the BEST! She was so great, so friendly and extremely attentive. She was so sweet to my daughter and really genuiniely cared that it was her birthday and wanted the meal to be perfect for her. Thank you Ashleigh!

The ribs were fall off the bone delicious. My mom's cobb salad looked divine. My daughter (who is a picky eater) finished off her kid's meal which was FREE if you sign up online for the Kid's birthday club. My hubby and Stepdad enjoyed their meal, their only complaint were the beans.

Ashleigh had the team sing Happy Birthday to my girl who was smiling from ear to ear. And brought out the cake my parents bought.

The manager was very friendly as well, helping Ashleigh bring our meals.

We really loved our time at Montana's and will be back again. Thank you for making my daughter's birthday so memorable and special!

• Visited August 2012