“Delicious, inexpensive food in a charming environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cool Runnings

Good for: Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: East York
Port Dover, Ontario
“Delicious, inexpensive food in a charming environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

Yesterday my daughter and her husband were anxious to take me to their newest "favourite" place in the neighbourhood. I was interested, but a bit reluctant because my experiences with Jamaican food had been few and not altogether to my liking. I'm glad I gave it another try because this place made me a believer. I ordered the Jerk chicken which in other places had been o.k. but a bit dry and over-spiced. Here they get it right. It's juicy, tender and although spicy, not overwhelming. Excellent rice and beans, and truly exceptional Cole slaw come with it. They give very large portions so small will do for most appetites, but then for a little over a dollar more why not get the large and take home tomorrow's lunch. They happily provide a take out box.
And happy is the stand out quality of this place. The people are lovely and friendly and when the locals come in for lunch the talk gets lively and the mood gets fun. It's a great building too. Big bright windows look out to the street. It's an old turn of the century shop with lots of original features which have been preserved and painted brightly. Everything is clean and well tended. Comfortable wooden chairs and tables. I hope that none of those restaurant makeover people ever get a hold of this one. I like it just the way it is, and I want to go back soon and order the ox-tail, and then I'll try a rotie, and perhaps later work up to ordering goat.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank fillorino

Toronto, Canada
“Mmmmm, Roti.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

This is an unassuming, delightful neighbourhood restaurant. I discovered Cool Runnings a couple of years ago when my kids took music lessons nearby. I decided to stop in and try a roti, and since then I've been hooked. The food is great, portions are perhaps too generous, the service is prompt, and the setting is kinda kitschy cool.

I keep taking friends there, and each one I have taken has been hooked just as I was.

Mmmm roti.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Ricochet
Toronto
“Good neighborhood restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

Excellent little jamaican restaurant, authentic and freshly prepared dishes, and generous portions for the price. It's not fancy but they do a swell job of making you feel welcome and comfortable. Jerk chicken is properly spiced, stew chicken is mild and creamy sauced, oxtail as good as you will find. Recommended

2 Thank Greg M
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

Great neighbourhood spot, small but friendly. Quick service. Good food.

1 Thank myfreckleface
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“This is a great little place. Freshly prepared and inexpensive.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2008

This is a great little place. Freshly prepared and inexpensive.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook