“Wonderful evening”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: East End
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The food was delicious. Chef Lora and her team did a great job. Our server Antony was so funny and really just made you feel like you had been there many times before. Loved the experience. It does tend to get a bit warm if they have a full house, so don't wear heavy clothes. Can't wait to go again.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Three of us were very pleased with our visit to Ruby Watchco last night (8/14/14)

We were greeted right away and were shown to our table, which was towards the back of the restaurant, close to the kitchen area, so we were able to see the team in action. Chef Lynn was in the house when we arrived which of course thrilled us, however she left things in Chef Lora's shortly after we arrived. We were treated to:

SOVEREIGN FARM’S BEAN SALAD which was fresh & delicious, followed by an appi of PORK RIBS, RED BEETS , PEANUTS WITH FETA which was fantastic.

The main course was next which was a SLOW ROASTED RACK OF PORK WITH CHERRY PORK JUS, along with Roasted Carrots with Salsa Verde,Cheesy Pickled Jalapeno Polenta & Charred Broccoli with Garlic Butter. The pork chop was prepared perfectly and was quite large.

This was followed by ARTISANAL CHEESE with a Tomato Jam, Olives & Rosemary Honey.

We went with the wine pairing, which was 4 different wines, one for each course which was reasonably priced and very good.

We closed the meal with a SWEET CORN PUDDING with Roasted Blueberries & Charred Almonds.

Anthony served as last night and was quite knowledgeable about the restaurant and wines and beers that were available. Anthony prepared a doggy bag for us to take home and he really did a great job of taking care of us, as did all staff that intereacted with him.

The restaurant was certainly lively, vibrant and the noise level seemed to pick up with each course, although the noise was not an issue, in fact quite the opposite, every one seemed to be having a blast.

We will be back.

2  Thank cdnsuper19
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Wow!
I love the concept of creating a menu on a daily basis based on the best seasonal ingredients available.
The portions are generous and are meant to be shared.
We had every bit of our food and the ambience was fabulous. What a fun and delicious dining experience.

Lynn was there and man I love her. You can tell she loves her career because she is in the kitchen, out in the dining area and serving us too. My gosh what an amazing woman!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I've heard it said that Toronto is a culinary wasteland. I had thought that was a tad over the top, but I've found another tumbleweed in the wilderness.

My husband and I just got home from our wedding anniversary dinner at Ruby Watchco. Decor is derivitive - standard urban industrial. Noise level was awful. Bathroom smelled a little pee-y.

And now the food. The POV is family style set menu, which changes frequently with the seasons and harvests. What a wonderful idea! Ontario has an amazing variety of top-notch produce: farm to table is an idea that could have been invented here.

The menu for tonight was a roasted plum salad and cheese chive biscuits, fried chicken with bacon jam, corn with honey sriracha, sweet potato salad, yellow beans, a cheese course, and a dessert of roasted peaches, raspberries, sweet cream and pistachios. Reading the menu made me very happy.....

Salad was fresh and well seasoned (perhaps a little overdressed, but that's my preference). The plums were more stewed and squishy than roasted, but added a nice acid bite. The biscuits were by far the best part of the meal - flaky, fresh, steaming hot and savoury.

The main was so disappointing. Fried chicken brings to mind a crispy, succulent and juicy indulgence. Even watching other plates come out of the kitchen I could see it wasn't crispy, and ours was soggy, with flabby unpleasant skin. The bacon jam was nice and smoky, but undersalted and room temp only. Actually, all the sides were room temperature and underseasoned. The sweet potatoes were described as being served with wilted spinach - spinach in our portion was very underpresent in comparison to other plates I saw coming out of the kitchen. The cubes of sweet potato looked like they sat for a while before reheating - wrinkled and not well peeled. The corn was just odd. There was no bite from the advertised sriracha, and the sweetness of the honey was redundant and off-putting. Again, no salt, no flavour. The beans were really nice - crisp, lightly sauteed and not messed with. I enjoyed thiem, until I bit a piece of grit.

All of this I would have mentioned to the server if she had asked us how things were - she did so after the salad and didn't come back until the dessert.

The cheese plate. Oh dear. Two slices of a neutral cheddar type, on a zucchini puree with zucchini noodles. No texture contrast, no flavour contrast - mild, bland, bland and muddy. Oh, and sweet. More honey on the puree. The whole thing would have been better left off the menu. A cheese plate should have something delightful to pique your taste for dessert. Why not those two quite serviceable shreds of cheese with some spiced walnuts and dried apricots?

And dessert. It was the happiest looking plate, but didn't deliver. The peach slices were warmed but no nice carmelized grill char. The raspberries were raw and delightful, the smear of raspberry cream whatever that was, was broken. The sweet cream was, indeed, sweet, and otherwise tasteless. My pistachios were over toasted and slightly bitter. Again more honey. The meringues were chewy, sweet and tasteless. I was surprised to see them - meringues are virtually impossible to make in this humid weather.

No coffee or tea offered.

The server/hostess did comp my glass of (average) malbec when I told her some of my concerns, which was nice. She also asked us to consider coming back another time.

I think I won't.

1  Thank Jane P
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Ruby Watchco on August 12, 2014, and we were rather disappointed. I don't want to sound negative but I was expecting a lot more, based on reviews and on the ownership.

Out of the $49/person pre fix menu - dinner rolls were the best... The roasted plum salad was ok but drenched in dressing. The main course - fried chicken with bacon jam - was soggy and boring. Roasted vegetables were also soggy and reheated. Y=The cheese course, which was unnecessary in my opinion, consisted of 2 slices of dry cheddar and a nasty green sauce. And finally, the dessert was supposed to be grilled peaches and stuff - peaches were warm but not grilled. The wine list was heavy on VQA and overpriced.

Service was ok but we waited for water for 10 minutes. We did mention all this to the hostess and she was receptive to our complaints and comped us my wife's wine.

Overall, I was very disappointed: the meal was not horrible, but it was average, not particularly tasty, and definitely not worth $49/person... The menu concept is unclear: is it local rustic food? what is it? Too bad.

2  Thank Constantine-TA