“Good fries, fish is over done and does not taste fishy”

Chippy's Fish And Chips
Ranked #5,291 of 8,880 Restaurants in Toronto
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Takeout
Neighbourhood: Queen Street and West Queen West
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Recently went here with a groupon, we tried 2 types of fish that could have been good but were very crunchy and overdone. Typical for Toronto fish places, they forget that fish needs to be sloppy and soft when served, this place did not hit the mark! However fries were very good!
Wont be running back!

2  Thank FreshInspector

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Music blasting to a point where I couldn't hear the server. Perhaps this because they were rude and abrupt. Have not returned since.

2  Thank canada47Toronto_
Reviewed 10 November 2012

Business takes me to Toronto and the surrounds from time to time. I was on Queen Street West, across from a park, and decided to wander in.

I really liked the ambiance, if a fish and chips joint can have such a thing. It just seemed perfect.

Whoever had a horrible experience must have gone there on someone's off day. The service was superb and the eats sublime.

I had a combo with a piece of halibut, prawns, and scallops. The scallops were terrific, and I would definitely get them again. The fish was superb. And the dipping sauces! WOW! My favorite was, let me see if I got this right, "pemato"? (It was a combination of pepper and tomato.) And there were enough chips to feed more than this guy.

It is a great find in a cool area of town.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

the friendly wait staff, she was alone on a busy sunday lunch, was helpful and efficient. however, the fish was cut way too thin and was dry in the middle, as a consequence. the batter was also thin and went tough when it cooled. we like thick juicy fillets of white fish in a crispy batter. the chips were dry in the middle. maybe this is just sunday lunch? they were not frozen fries. yeah!! it is better than some of the greasy frozen junk one gets in some places. their heart is in the right place. however, they are cutting dangerous corners by slicing the fillets into paper thin pieces. too bad. nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Well, I can officially say that the best fish & chips place remains to be Old York at Laird & Eglinton. Though Chippys got me in there by their famous traditional visuals from waaay back in the day, I was insulted by their prices, first of all. They charge a whopping $15 bux for ONE Halibut. & like one of the reviewers mentioned, (I'll read the rest of the reviews later), They up the price & decreased the damn portion. They made it flat so it looks like it was a big portion but it was barely 1/2 inch thin... (I'll give you a moment to gasp). Exactly! That's how I felt insulted by their audacity to charge so much & think we're stupid enough to believe we'll be back for more money in the can. Then I asked for tartar sauce... Oh wait! I have to buy the supposed tartar sauce! WoOoOoW. .95 cents for some tartar sauce. Excuse my ignorance but last time I checked tartar sauce is supposed to taste somewhat TART & INCLUDED!!! It was mayonnaise! Needless to say, I will make the trip to Laird next time. They don't charge you for the real tartar sauce. Lost my money here. I hope these guys read this & maybe they'll get their act together.

1  Thank dizzivivi