“Tasted like Dog Food”

Cuisines: Pizza
Neighbourhood: North York
Neighbourhood: North York
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I have just returned from living in Israel for 4 years. On my second week back in Toronto, my family and I decided to try out the King David restaurant located at Bathurst and Lawrence. We ordered five falafels. All of the toppings shown in the display case looked a day or two old. The lettuce was premade as evidenced by the owner refilling the tray in front of us with the plastic bag it came in. He pulled out a bag containing the empty pitas - the bag looked like it had been originally frozen; The owner then microwaved all the pitas in order to 'warm them up' - most likely to rid them of the hard texture that evolved from sitting out for a day or two. As he was preparing the falafel balls, you could see the dirty cases of pop in the background - creating an unpleasant site. He then proceeded to make the falafel with his bare hands - which was entirely unhygenic. He then handled the money with the same hands and then helped the next customer without washing. After returning home, I took a bite into one of the falafel balls - the ball was a thick, pasty, meet-like ball. In Israel, they always turned out light yellow and fluffy in texture. I honestly felt like I was eating dog food. Dog food that was overpriced at $5 a falafel. What a terrible experience. We will never go back.

3  Thank Haifa_Home