“Authentic and delicious at a low price”

Motimahal Restaurant
Ranked #1,596 of 8,434 Restaurants in Toronto
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: East End
Port Dover, Ontario
“Authentic and delicious at a low price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

Our daughter and her husband live not far from Little India on Gerrard Street in Toronto, and we like to go there on a warm summer evening because although not nearly as crowded as India itself, there are still a lot of families and other people on the street and you can really experience the Indian culture. These days it has shrunk to only about three blocks, but there are interesting shops to look into and lots of restaurants. I find that after some good conversation with a local who you feel knows their stuff, it is a good idea to idea to ask for a recommendation. The very nice lady at the shop where my wife bought a dress suggested that if food and not atmosphere was our priority, that we go across the road to Motimahal.

Without her recommendation it wouldn't have been our first choice. In fact we almost turned around when we entered because it is very basic, looking a lot like a Harvey's from the seventies with red plastic tables and grey booths, and ordering and the kitchen at the far end. You have to go up and order and then they call out your number. But the place was packed with locals and the mood was light and fun so we thought what the heck.

As we were standing in the short line to order we were becoming quite confused by the many possible dishes displayed in big photos around the ordering area but a very nice lady ahead of us overheard our conversation and suggested that we may want to order a vegetarian tray or a meat tray, or one of both and share as that was a good variety and plenty for four people These tray dishes are called Thali and for about $8 they give you 4 choices of veg, naan and rice in the case of the veggie Thali, and one choice of meat, three veggie, naan, and rice with the Meat Thali. We misunderstood and thought that the meat Thali would be four choices of meat so it may have been better to order two meat trays, but that being said the veggies were delicious. Actually everything was very, very tasty, and gratefully not spicy. A little spicy but nuanced and balanced. We asked about spice when ordering and the response was they make everything medium spicy and people can add more if they want to. I had a beer, we ordered a couple of really tasty mango shakes and about eight appetizers (also delicious) and the tab came to $27.

It's basic, but the place is clean and the people friendly. They ask you to clean up after yourself which most people do, but they also have wait staff constantly wiping the counters etc. The important thing is that the food is some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten, it is very inexpensive, and we had a wonderful time. I look forward to going back again soon,

• Visited August 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Food was edible but.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

Place is very old and has not been kept up. It is on the dirty side and you have to wait for a long time to order and get your food.
We found the prices to be reasonable.
Veg food quality was decent but they serve food on stainless steel plates which is good but we noticed they have not been cleaned well.
For non-veg dishes, ask your non-veg items to be cooked very well done.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank bhargavipl
Toronto, Canada
“Waited for my take out patiently...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

I had butter chicken meal to go with naan. Was disappointed when I got home and found one little chunk of butter chicken with a whole pile of sauce. It was good but feel a little ripped off. Tasty but for $2 more I could have eaten next door all you can eat. If there is a next time I plan on eating in and complaining if they give me less than everyone else I saw in the restaurant.

• Visited May 2013
Toronto
“Perhaps the best thali in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2013

We live nearby and have been coming for years. The thalis available are very good as well as being pretty authentic. The hard-plastic seating has been talked about enough--this ain't the Ritz. In my opinion, theirs is the best ras malai available in Toronto. I love this place but prefer it on off-days at off-hours. I am done. The end.

• Visited February 2013
“Our Toronto Staple for Indian food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2013

Of all the places to go to for North Indian food in the city of Toronto, this is our favorite. Consistently good whether we order chaat, bhel puri or a thali (love the chola bhatura!). Decor is the same from when I was a kid which isn't great but I'd rather keep the cheaper prices. Staff is always friendly and actually remember us even though we come maybe 5 times a year. Tight space but good food... If you are too eat in only one space in Little India, it should be this one.

• Visited September 2012