“Great food, great value”

Motimahal Restaurant
Ranked #3,445 of 8,650 Restaurants in Toronto
Neighbourhood: East End
Neighbourhood: East End
Barrie, Canada
“Great food, great value”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Took the kids on a tour of Toronto's "Little India" and was so pleased with our experience at Motimahal. It's not much from the outside, or from the inside for that matter, but if you can get to the back of the restaurant where you order, it will all be worth it!. Pictures on the wall are helpful to navigate the dished you may not know. I asked the clerk taking my order for further description and he was helpful. Any of the platters will certainly fill an adult. We had two platters and an appetizer and it fed 2 adults/2 kids (under10yrs) The Chicken Tikka and the Meat Thali were both flavourful. The only disappointment I had was that the samosas were barely warm, and from the other reviews I read before I went, I was so looking forward to them. The Interior is how it's been described in many of these reviews. Not fancy and perhaps dated, but the food was great and thats what we were there for!

• Visited June 2014

Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delectable butter chicken, goat curry and ras malai”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been all over India and tried butter chicken in dozens of restaurants in North America. Motimahal's butter chicken is incredible. Smoky, rich and spicy generous portions of savoury dark meat. Try it with the rumali roti. The goat curry is also really good, though a touch on the oily side.The place is very casual - looks like an Indian McDonald's - and there is counter service. But still worth your while. For dessert, do not miss the ras malai. It is unbelievable!

• Visited February 2014
Toronto
“The freshest food in Lil India”
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Not only the best ras malai and thali in the city, but also the overall freshest sub-continental food. Uncomfortable cafeteria-style seating is offset by quick, professional service plus a good price point (how can they employ 9 people on weekend shift at once?)
A classic example of 'go where you see all the locals go to eat' (i.e. follow the lines). It is wonderful to be in such a multicultural city and in our case, to live so close to this neighbourhood. I am done. The end.

Visited May 2014
Mississippi
“Best Samosas”
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I was disappointed by little India in Toronto but perserverence pays off! I found the Motimahal Restaurant on Gerrard. There is nothing fancy about this place but the samosas are outstanding. I was not that impressed with the chicken but the vegetarian samosas are excellent. So if you are in the area and want to try an excellent and inexpensive dish, buy a couple of their samosas and enjoy. Be wary of the green sauce as it it spicy....the red sauce is a little easier for the sensitive spice palate

• Visited December 2013
illinois
“Worst ever!!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My family and I have been going to Motimahal for years but now we are living in the US. When we come back to visit we love going to Motimahal for their chana bhatura. However, today was the worst experience ever!! The chana bhatura was bland lacking in spices, salt and flavor. And when we told the workers they said it was fine and didn't acknowledge us!! We will not be going there again!! Not to mention the dirt and grime that was there.

• Visited December 2013