“For downtown, and heading to Detroit. Good”

Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown
Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
Winnipeg, Canada
“For downtown, and heading to Detroit. Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

May look a little dated, and it is, but the room was spotless. I was in for a Wings game and the location is great for getting over and back on that tunnel bus. Likely not for the feint of heart with the Oulette or whatever it is strip right there, but my room was on the tunnel side, so didn't hear much.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear daTurbinator,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Windsor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn. By taking the time send a review in for our hotel, you are helping us to learn and grow.
We hope that we can welcome you back again the next time you are back in Windsor.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I checked in just after midnight after a 3 hour drive to get to Windsor. I booked the hotel instead of driving the morning of the next day so I would be rested. I fell asleep around 1 am and had restless slept as I heard a dripping noise. I got up to check the taps twice at about 3:00 and 3:30am. They were not leaking. At 4:08 after stumbling in the dark to see what the noise was I was drenched in water. It was pouring from the ceiling by the window and I assume coming in because it was raining out. The lamp telephone and desk were covered in water and the water was now dripping on me in the dark. I could not turn on the lamp as it was wet and I was afraid to get electrocuted. I was also afraid because I didn't know if the room was safe or the ceiling was caving in due to on going renovations outside.

I decided to pick up the phone while being rained on, the cord was not long enough to move. I called the front desk and reached the woman I beleive that checked us in Renee. As soon as she answered she said are you calling about the water? I was surprised she knew why I was calling. I said yes she told me to use towels. I said then what towel will I use? She said she would ask 'him' to bring me some towels. It is 4 am and I do not want a strange man coming to my door when I am in sleeping attire. I said no she asked if I wanted to change rooms and I said no as my son was in the connecting room. I had to make sure he was up for his university graduation and didn't want him to not know where I was.

I put the towels on the desk and floor but the dripping was still so loud I could not sleep not to mention I was wet and had no towels. In the morning I looked in my sons room when I went to use his towels and his curtains also had water stains and they were damp. It is obvious to me this hotel knows they have leaks.

They also have their parking lot under renovations and it was a mess trying to get to and from our rental car that we also booked with travelocity. I feel that if a hotel is under renovations a guest should be aware at the time of booking. I also feel there is no excuse for what i had to go thru with water running from the ceiling. I do have pictures of the ceiling desk and floor covered in water. I would attach them but do not have the option I would be happy to forward them to you. I contacted the hotel the following day and they were told they can not help me as I booked with travelocity. I expect to be compensated for my hotel charges, including 6.00 parking when I would have been better off parking on the street. I had a 3 hour drive back dead tired. Travelocity refused to refund as I did not report the issue right away even though I had pictures. The hotel could care less to. Will never use either again.

Room Tip: do not book at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
HIWINDSOR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear melisawith1s,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience of the noise and water from the rain. Unfortunately we did have some damage done due to the constant downpour that the city has experienced over the past month. That said, there was a communication breakdown on our end, which I have already taken care of and will be re-addressing with the entire staff within the week.
The Holiday Inn Downtown Windsor is working hard to improve our hotel to serve our guests better. One of these improvements is the renovation of our second floor parking. We understand the inconvenience of the parking construction, and on our website, it does notify our guests of this prior to booking.
We do care very much that you had issues with the hotel, but we are unable to refund for a room paid through a third party site. If the other site were to have contacted us, we would gladly take care of this. We have yet to have heard from them, and welcome the conversation.
Melisawith1s, it was also very disappointing that you did not have the chance to speak with myself or another manager while you were here. It was not brought to my attention until later. I would very much like to speak with you regarding your stay and I hope that you will contact me at your convenience. I hope that you would give us another chance and return to stay with us, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Michelle Falconio - General Manager
Holiday Inn Downtown Windsor

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels

Clyde OH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Hotel is in great location in Windsor and the staff is very friendly and helpful. However, these two benefits can not out way the cons to this facility. Parking lot is cramped and spots are hard to find after 5pm. Bathrooms are very small, can barely fit one person and the water pressure is very weak. One of the two elevators has not work in the last two weeks and the one that works is also used as a service elevator. Refrig was not working and the internet works good until everyone gets to their rooms at night then it resorts to a 56 K modem speed at best, with not hard connections available. Work out equipment is two thread mills and an incumbent bike.

I have only written 2 hotel reviews and I travel internationally for a living, already having 75 stays at Holiday Inns for 2013 and my travel patterns have been as such for 10+ years, so trust me when I say, stay at the Holiday Inn Select on Huron Church or in Detriot, you will thank me one day.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
HIWINDSOR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Dear Esktime,

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I will definitely share with my team your positive comments. We strive to please our guests by making them feel welcome. I was very disappointed that your stay was not an enjoyable one, so please accept my apologies. The issues that you encountered are situations that we are continuing to improve and fix.
We share your frustration regarding the elevator being out of service. The International Union of Elevator Constructors have been on strike for six weeks, and service calls are emergency only. We are eager for them to return.
We will look into the concerns you had with your room (i.e. water pressure, internet, refrigerator) as we are continuously working to improve our guest’s experience with us.
The parking lot on our second floor is currently under construction to serve you and our guests better. While we have fewer spots presently, once the completion of the work is done, we are certain you will see the improvement in quality and availability of spaces.
Esktime, I wish I had the opportunity to speak with you about your concerns while you were at the hotel, and am still very eager to doing so, if you wish to call me. We would like to welcome you back to visit, should you be open to in the future.
Again, I apologize for your frustrations, and hope to have you stay again.

Michelle Falconio
Southfield, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

My husband and I wanted a very quick get-a-away....so we OPTED to go right across the bridge. Going to Canada -- just makes it feel like you're FAR AWAY from home; when in fact you can see directly across the waterways of the Detroit River. We traveled during Memorial day weekend and had a ball just hanging out on Ouellette Ave...shopping, dining and people watching (which is the BEST)....ohhh did I mention -- we PARTIED LIKE "ROCK STARS" too!!! The Holiday Inn is centrally located to everything DOWNTOWN.....if you are looking for PEACE & QUIET at night time -- this is probably NOT the location for you. We in fact had our room moved to the HUSTLE & FLOW so we could be in the THICK OF THINGS....we were originally facing the Canada TUNNEL and asked Hotel Personnel to move us to the Ouellette side of the street so we could see everything. Overall, we had a great time; right now, Holiday Inn parking garage/decks are undergoing construction. We would definitely stay here again for future Windsor get-a-ways!

Room Tip: Depending on your interests (and noise level)....ask to be situated on the Tunnel side for peace and...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dareese G
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 6 June 2013
Dear Dareese G,

Thank you for your review. We always love to hear from our guests. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Being right in the heart of Downtown, you are correct that we are in the middle of it all. Our street side does give you the opportunity for people watching, but you are also correct in saying the tunnel side is quieter.

We would love to welcome you back again soon, hopefully over the next long weekend in July, and our parking deck should be all complete by then.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

Was staying in Windsor for the weekend and wanted something that was convenient...that was within walking distance of restaurants. This fit the bill. The hotel was clean. The front desk was friendly. We had a room at the back of the hotel, and our room was pretty quiet. We did hear noise from the hall and other rooms...but nothing out of the ordinary for hotel noises. The room was clean. The bed was comfortable. The restaurant attached to the hotel was very good. The parking lot was under construction, but didn't pose a problem. If I was spending time in Windsor again, I would definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Based on the other reviews, you might want to ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear TorontoBarb,

Thank you for your kind review. All the the staff at the hotel love to hear that they have done a great job making your stay a wonderful one.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Ajax, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

My hotel was close to my job site with a great pool, parking and a good onsite restaurant while being a short walk from local attractions and amenities such as the river front park. I always enjoy a good pool and hot tub or sauna. Meals in the bar or restaurant were good, meaning I didn't need to wander after a long day.

Room Tip: Away from the street facing the rear of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Dear Brian E,

Thank you for choosing our hotel, and taking the time to send us a review. We always like to hear back from our guests.

We are looking forward to your next visit with us so we may welcome you back again soon.

Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

I booked this hotel for our basketball team for Provincials. I was worried about being downtown, but it was alright. It was noisy at night with the clubs, but I kind of liked the busker playing the trumpet - it wasn't too loud. Everything is in walking distance - restaurants, LCBO, walkways. The Tunnel BarBQ restaurant across the street was great. Even though we ended up playing our games outside of Windsor, the drive was easy and mostly highway. The parking lot is cramped, but not bad. The rooms were very clean and pretty roomy - we could have fit a cot or air mattress in. The shower in our room was exceptional! Breakfast at the restaurant was good, but not cheap. Internet is really slow and painful - don't count on it for real work. The pool was larger than many hotels have now, and the boys were happy with it. Security was good at keeping the teams out of trouble and the noise down, without interfering too much. Checkout was slow because two teams were leaving at the same time and only one person was on the Desk. The price was right, and I'd return again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear takethekids,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We always love to hear back from our guests regarding their stay with us, especially our teams!

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize for our internet problems. We are currently working diligently to repair the issue so it will not happen again in the future, as well as changing our timing for additional staffing.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and helping us improve for the future.