“great weekend getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
Windsor, Canada
“great weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My fiancee surprised me with tickets to see a show at the Casino, and he wanted to make our weekend feel like a getaway weekend (seeing as how we live in Windsor) so he booked us at the Holiday Inn Downtown Windsor. I'm glad he did :)

First off let me say the staff was great, they were friendly when we checked in and also when they saw us coming and going in the lobby they always said hello, parking is convenient (we walked to our show and back) and we were very impressed with the rooms because they were very clean, you could tell they take pride in their work.

I am looking forward to our next getaway weekend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eeyore205
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Eeyore205,

We are so happy to hear that you and your fiancée had a great stay at our hotel. On behalf of the entire hotel team, that you for your kind words. I have shared them with the entire team, and we all hope we can welcome you back for your next getaway weekend.

Yours in Hospitality,

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

While this Holiday Inn may be one of the elder Inn's in the chain it was extremely convenient (literally just a block around the corner from entering through customs from Detroit, MI)-it had the charm, cleanliness and pleasantly professional and courteous staff (Nick greeted us when we arrived and was very helpful) that one should expect from an Inn provider. The hotel is a bit dated but the restaurant/lounge attached to it has great service (thanks to Kelli Ann and her coworker for a great breakfast and happy hour conversations) and the food was very good. Being right on Ouellette Avenue was ideal for an overnight stay as it was a very active and bustling downtown thoroughfare with all kinds of folks enjoying themselves until wee hours of the morning. Everywhere we went we found very friendly and welcoming people (The Friendly Lawyer's bartenders Cullin and Sam were great fun!). Other than losing my money at Caesar's Casino the weekend was great but then again, I typically lose regardless of the casino-fortunately, my buddy did pretty well. We saw the Pet Shop Boys in concert at Caesar's-a great venue if you're looking for a good concert in the future. We will definitely be going back and staying at this Holiday Inn again. Btw, a beautiful view of Detroit at night across the river. So used to seeing Windsor that it was quite striking to see Detroit glimmering off the water in the moonlight.

Room Tip: We booked on Hotwire (first time users) and got this room for $92 a night and that included parking...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank thepartyguys
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear thepartyguys,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We always appreciate hearing back from our guests, and we are all happy to see that you had a most enjoyable stay. We strive to make each guest's stay a great one.

I have shared your wonderful comments with all our staff at the hotel and in the restaurant.

We hope we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn again soon.

Yours in hospitality,

Hamilton, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I am staying regularly in this Hotel and like always to come back ,the rooms are large and very clean ,the location is perfect close to all attractions ,bars and restaurants ,but most important the staff is very nice and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank paulgeci
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear Paulgeci,

Thank you for once again choosing our hotel for your stay in Windsor. We are happy to hear that our staff was once again as pleasant as always.

We look forward to welcoming you again for your next trip to Windsor.

Yours in Hospitality,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We picked a perfect time to come to Windsor! The hotel was in the heart of all the festivals, we arrived before check in time and the lady at the front desk was able to get us in early, she was great. Loved the follow up call to our room, making sure everything was fine with our room. The housekeeping staff made sure we never had to ask for extra towels! We were very impressed and will defiantly return.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Jen M.,

On behalf of the entire hotel team, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so happy to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay. Being the summer months we have plenty of festivals and things to do in the city. I will be sure to pass along your wonderful comments to all of the staff.

Once again Jen, thank you for choosing our hotel, and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Vaughan, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Had opportunity to stay at the hotel for couple of weeks for business. It is convenient for me to walk to work and there are quite a few restaurants near by in the downtown area. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, bed is comfortable. The bathroom is a bit small. Actually the restaurant in the hotel (Avenue)is very good with 15 % off for guests staying in the hotel. There is daily special. Prices are reasonable. Thursday night special is chicken wings, it draws in many diners.

Room Tip: Room 15 seems facing workroom. So it could be noisy when housekeeping staff is getting towels etc. A...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Dear YorkRegionYnot,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Downtown Windsor. We strive to make every guests stay a wonderful one.

On behalf of all the staff at the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Yours In Hospitality,

Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

May look a little dated, and it is, but the room was spotless. I was in for a Wings game and the location is great for getting over and back on that tunnel bus. Likely not for the feint of heart with the Oulette or whatever it is strip right there, but my room was on the tunnel side, so didn't hear much.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HIWINDSOR, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Dear daTurbinator,

Thank you for choosing our hotel during your stay in Windsor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Inn. By taking the time send a review in for our hotel, you are helping us to learn and grow.
We hope that we can welcome you back again the next time you are back in Windsor.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

I checked in just after midnight after a 3 hour drive to get to Windsor. I booked the hotel instead of driving the morning of the next day so I would be rested. I fell asleep around 1 am and had restless slept as I heard a dripping noise. I got up to check the taps twice at about 3:00 and 3:30am. They were not leaking. At 4:08 after stumbling in the dark to see what the noise was I was drenched in water. It was pouring from the ceiling by the window and I assume coming in because it was raining out. The lamp telephone and desk were covered in water and the water was now dripping on me in the dark. I could not turn on the lamp as it was wet and I was afraid to get electrocuted. I was also afraid because I didn't know if the room was safe or the ceiling was caving in due to on going renovations outside.

I decided to pick up the phone while being rained on, the cord was not long enough to move. I called the front desk and reached the woman I beleive that checked us in Renee. As soon as she answered she said are you calling about the water? I was surprised she knew why I was calling. I said yes she told me to use towels. I said then what towel will I use? She said she would ask 'him' to bring me some towels. It is 4 am and I do not want a strange man coming to my door when I am in sleeping attire. I said no she asked if I wanted to change rooms and I said no as my son was in the connecting room. I had to make sure he was up for his university graduation and didn't want him to not know where I was.

I put the towels on the desk and floor but the dripping was still so loud I could not sleep not to mention I was wet and had no towels. In the morning I looked in my sons room when I went to use his towels and his curtains also had water stains and they were damp. It is obvious to me this hotel knows they have leaks.

They also have their parking lot under renovations and it was a mess trying to get to and from our rental car that we also booked with travelocity. I feel that if a hotel is under renovations a guest should be aware at the time of booking. I also feel there is no excuse for what i had to go thru with water running from the ceiling. I do have pictures of the ceiling desk and floor covered in water. I would attach them but do not have the option I would be happy to forward them to you. I contacted the hotel the following day and they were told they can not help me as I booked with travelocity. I expect to be compensated for my hotel charges, including 6.00 parking when I would have been better off parking on the street. I had a 3 hour drive back dead tired. Travelocity refused to refund as I did not report the issue right away even though I had pictures. The hotel could care less to. Will never use either again.

Room Tip: do not book at this hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HIWINDSOR, General Manager at Holiday Inn Windsor Downtown, responded to this review, 12 July 2013
Dear melisawith1s,
Thank you for your recent stay with us. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience of the noise and water from the rain. Unfortunately we did have some damage done due to the constant downpour that the city has experienced over the past month. That said, there was a communication breakdown on our end, which I have already taken care of and will be re-addressing with the entire staff within the week.
The Holiday Inn Downtown Windsor is working hard to improve our hotel to serve our guests better. One of these improvements is the renovation of our second floor parking. We understand the inconvenience of the parking construction, and on our website, it does notify our guests of this prior to booking.
We do care very much that you had issues with the hotel, but we are unable to refund for a room paid through a third party site. If the other site were to have contacted us, we would gladly take care of this. We have yet to have heard from them, and welcome the conversation.
Melisawith1s, it was also very disappointing that you did not have the chance to speak with myself or another manager while you were here. It was not brought to my attention until later. I would very much like to speak with you regarding your stay and I hope that you will contact me at your convenience. I hope that you would give us another chance and return to stay with us, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Michelle Falconio - General Manager
Holiday Inn Downtown Windsor

Travellers are raving about these Windsor hotels