“VERY Basic”

Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
Southern Ontario
“VERY Basic”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed one night at this hotel. The place is old, but clean, and VERY basic. If you need a bed (not bad, comfortable) and a shower (good water pressure) this place will work. But if you want anything more go somewhere else.
When I checked in I was handed a TV remote. They are not left in the rooms. The rooms do NOT have coffeemakers. I had to go to the front desk and ask for one. The clerk told me the coffee makers keep getting stolen so guests who want one need to ask for it.
The continental breakfast was very lean...VERY. At 7:15 am there was no coffee (it was 'being made'), half a dozen muffins and a few plain bagels (open in a basket - not covered or in a bin of any sort) was all there was. When I checked in I asked about fruit for breakfast and was told there wouldn't be any because it's too expensive this time of year. The hotels website advertises a 'continental' breakfast so I expected more than just one kind of muffin or a plain bagel.
The internet service is poor. It seemed like the equipment wasn't good enough to reach all the rooms. The bed beside the window received service, but the bed further away from the window did not.
I did not leave because this locations cancellation policy is 24 hours out. One needs to cancel 24 hours before arriving. So I was committed to paying for the room by the time I saw all this.
I don't think this place meets Econo Lodge's basic standard. I put it in the same group as a small, privately owned old motel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Savytraveller10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
toronto
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stayed there New Year's Eve 2013. It was relatively less than compatable hotels in the area so I was not expecting much. As I was going to the outdoor classic the next morning, my son and I only needed a bed and a shower and didn't want to spend big bucks for nothing. It is located at the foot of the Embassador Bridge which is the gateway into Michigan. Casino and downtown is very close.

Wow was I surprised!!!

The check in was quick and easy. Parking was ample, the room was clean and the beds comfortable.
Continental breakfast in the morning was fresh and plentiful.

Although the rooms are outdated and could use a facelift, they were extremely clean and came with all the basic necessities like mini-fridge, microwave, hairdryer. Big washroom area. All in all decent room.

It snowed overnight and the owners/family were out shoveling and salting at 6 am. Good work guys!

These guys do a real good job for a reasonable price. I don't usually review places unless they are really good or really bad. This place is really good for the price.

I would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: Become a Choice Member and receive even better rates than posted.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank frankp42
Montreal
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights for the summer vacation (July 20-23). We arrived late, but were friendly greeted by the young Indian guy at the desk. The only thing he asked that I found a bit obnoxious was who was my "friend" since I traveled through the Friends & Family rate. I politely asked why he wanted to know and he said never mind.
The room was neat, cozy and clean. There was a fridge, a microwave (!) and a TV with over 100 channels to watch. The bathroom had a perfume scent. The only prob was the bathroom door lock latch which was a bit difficult to move, but okay. The beds were so comfortable and so well made that we even decided to leave a dollar for the housekeeper the next day (they didn't take it). The breakfast was small yet nourishing. When we came back at the end of the day the room was properly cleaned and awaiting our return.
In all, a great place to stay. Personally I've never been to Windsor prior, and i.m.o. there isn't much to do there besides a couple day visit, but this place is really the choice to stay at. Ontarians aren't very friendly there, but if you ask for places or directions at the front desk, I'm sure these guys will gladly help you.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skorolev
BURLINGTON
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Good Morning. I have personally stayed at this property several times over the past two years SIMPLY due to the location, my first impression and stay at their hotel and the friendliness of staff at check-in and the owner of hotel extending a welcome to me as though I was someone special. I am a choice privileges elite platinum member of CHOICE HOTELS and this property is one of their member properties.

This is an excellent location for casino/shopping and a great place to get a head start on your trip down south and thus crossing the border only a mile away from hotel which gives you a nice fresh start.

Room Tip: Second floor would possibly be quite BUT I use a ground floor and put up with any "talking nois...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DEPARTURESBurlington
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 19 January 2013

Stayed there for 2 nights . Very pleased with the hospitality of the staffs. The ambiance was very good, the rooms were very neatly maintained, the Breakfast was pretty good. And on top of all this, the staffs just went out of their way to help me get used to the new place. In the last 30 years of my life, I would say, this is the best hotels I've stayed ever stayed in !

Thank you sincerely for your hospitality.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I had to travel to Windsor to check out the university since I was planning to move there. I stayed at the Econo Lodge Motel and found that I really enjoyed my stay. The staff was very friendly, the rooms clean, location good and the price was just right.
The young girl at the front desk was very helpful. She was a university student herself and I was able to get a lot of information from her. She also recommended some good restaurants and things to do while i was there.
My two days went too fast.I had a wonderful stay and would stay with them again on my next trip.

Room Tip: I got a corner room that was facing the back street and it was very quiet since there is not much tr...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank nieger
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I have stayed at this motel several times with my family while travelling to the states. It have always been a pleasant stay. Rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Lots of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. I would recommend it to friends and family.
Keep up the good work.

Room Tip: I personally prefer to have a room on the 1st floor and not facing the street as Huron Church Road i...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family