“Panoramic view of the river but...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel

BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel
Ranked #4 of 35 Hotels in Windsor
Toronto, Canada
“Panoramic view of the river but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

If you want a perfect view, get a room with a panoramic view for extra $30. We were given a room on the 20th floor and we're happy with it. Location is excellent as the hotel is just across the Dieppe Park and boardwalk. The room is clean but would need updating. The lobby and hallways are dark and looked like those from the medieval times. Need to change furnishings at the lobby. They provide Bath and Body shampoo and conditioner but no lotion unless you call and ask for it. Check in was quick and friendly and we're so lucky to be ahead of a bus full of Chinese tourists. I should have given them 4 stars except for the mediocre breakfast. It's free but I'd rather pay for something that could start my day right. The sausage patties are not made of real meat I guess. The scrambled egg is dry and tasteless. I hope the management will look and get this problem remedied.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank guinevere_J
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hello Guinevere_j,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on Trip Advisor. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the perfect view from your room on the 20th floor, and that you appreciated our location across from Windsor's waterfront path. We are truly lucky to have such a beautiful attraction right outside of our doors.
We are happy to let you know that there are plans to renovate our upper guestrooms, as well as the lobby, to give it a fresh and inviting look. Thank you for your suggestion in regards to adding body lotion to our bathroom amenities, as well as improvements we can make on our breakfast buffet. These suggestions have been heard and will be brought back to the team for consideration. We value your opinion and always welcome feedback as this is the key to a better hotel for our guests!
We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Asad M., & the Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor Family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Memphis, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Before I begin my review, I should mention that Windsor is a small city. With that said, it is obvious that good and reasonable ($) options are limited. I booked the Waterfront Hotel because of its location and because of the rate.

The hotel is located on Windsor's Waterfront, and it is conveniently located to many restaurants within a half a mile (there is a Keg Steakhouse just a block away) and the Casino is probably a five-minute walk away. I need my coffee so I was able to get to Starbucks in about six minutes (Ouellette and University). However, if you are looking for supplies or a pharmacy, you might have to walk a bit further.

The check-in process was fairly easy. I arrived a bit early and the front desk did not have a problem finding me a room. Only my first time here so I definitely did not get any preferential treatment. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, the lobby area is uninviting. The lobby area feels old and dark. I read responses that the hotel is working on renovating the lobby but my review is based on my experience and not on what will be in the future.

The room was dated. I assume I did not get one of the renovated rooms. The carpet and furniture were at least partially stained and they were screaming for an update. However, the hotel did offer what I needed. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was spacious. It had a fridge and coffee maker. Plenty of TV channels (including some from Detroit affiliates). The hotel description is accurate in the sense that all rooms have a view of the water. However, do not expect a marvelous view. There are rooms that only have a partial view of the Detroit river. For instance, my room was one ending in 14 and there wasn't a view to brag about so do not get your hopes up if you expect to get a view of the Detroit skyline (I guess unless guaranteed in your reservation).

I appreciate the fact that the hotel offers free breakfast which was better than expected. It had plenty of options ranging from fruit to cereal to yogurt to eggs. I would have liked to see a few more options (bacon?) but I am not going to complain when I am getting to eat for free. I did not get to check out any other of the amenities (pool, fitness center, etc). It would be nice if the hotel had a restaurant or a bar to grab a quick bite to eat or go relax while having a drink. Or at least have a mini store where someone can grab snacks or drinks. A lot of hotels offer this alternative these days.

My interaction with the hotel staff was very limited to check in, check out and daily housekeeping. The lady assigned to my floor for housekeeping was one of the nicest ladies that I have talked to during my travels. I am a person that usually declines housekeeping, which seemed to surprise this lady. However, she made sure that I got whatever I needed whether it was fresh towels or shampoo or what not. Very on top of it, which is greatly appreciated.

I know I am saying that my stay was just OK and I am giving the hotel 3 stars, but I have to consider the rate I paid, the hotel location, the rooms having those things that I need, and the overall quality of hotels in the area. I am in curious to see what management does with the proposed renovations so I would give the hotel a try if ever back in Windsor.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank JuanyDinero
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hello JuanyDinero,

The Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We like to think we have a great hotel, in a great location close to all the attractions downtown has to offer. We have heard the suggestions of our guests and as you mentioned, we will be renovating our lobby, guest rooms and a lobby lounge so you can grab that drink you mentioned!

Although we cannot guarantee an early check in all the time, we are always happy to accommodate you when we are able. It's a pleasure to serve our guests in any way possible!

On you next visit to our hotel, the Full Panoramic River View Rooms are well worth the small upgrade fee! As we like to say, It's a matter of view!

We value your opinion and always welcome feedback and suggestions as this is the key to a better hotel for our guests! It is because of you, our guest(s) that we strive to make our hotel, your home away from home.

Belleville, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Room was nice -appeared to have been recently updated. View of fishing boats and pleasure crafts nice during day and Detroit skyline awesome at night. Unfortunately no restaurant. Complimentary breakfast was slightly above average. Dealt with 2 people at front desk - one friendly and helpful - the other not so much! Room was quiet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gtcornfoot
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello gtcornfoot,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. We take great pride in our view of the Detroit River & Skyline, and we agree with you that it is 'awesome'! Being steps from the Windsor Waterfront Trail makes us the ideal location for relaxing and enjoying various activities, especially during the Spring & Summer months. We also want to let you know that we will be undergoing renovations in the coming months, including the addition of a lounge located on the lobby level which will offer an exciting menu to our guests. Finally, we want you to know that we strive for 100% execution in all of our Guest Services, including the interaction at our front desk, and we apologize that this expectation was not met during your stay.
We look forward to hosting you again and experiencing the new offerings at the Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor.
Asad M., Guest Services Manager
Almonte, Ont
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

This old, dingy place, complete with dirty lobby furniture, could not only use a facelift to have the appearance of a "modern hotel", but their customer service and use of technology could well afford to come into the 21rst century too.

Attempted to check into the hotel at 230 PM (I was reminded that I was 1/2 hour early), to be told "my room" wasn't ready. Not that there were no rooms available, just the one they assigned to me wasn't ready. This, after ten minutes of the front desk staff attempting to communicate with housekeeping as to the status of the room via walkie talkie.

After waiting in the lobby on the dingy furniture for 30 minutes,and seeing approximately 15 people arriving after me being assigned rooms, I asked if it was possible to assign me one of the available rooms. Not within their capabilities apparently. Neither of the three front desk staff had the capability of assigning me a "ready" room, but insisted on attempting to contact housekeeping by the same old walkie talkie to find out my room wasn't ready! No time frame, no offer to hold my luggage.

First impressions are lasting. And I won't be back for a second chance.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DJP079
Hello DJP079,

Thank you for your message, we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your comments on Trip Advisor. Please accept our sincere apologies for the late reply. We would like to share with you that we will soon be renovating 140 guest rooms which will compliment the 165 rooms already renovated. As well, our plans include renovations on our lobby to include a lounge and bar which will include exciting offerings to our guests. We know that these upgrades to our property will enhance our guests' experience, and eliminate the notion that we are a dated hotel. As well, we are looking into new and improved ways to communicate between departments without taking away from the total guest experience. We do strive to achieve 100% guest satisfaction, and we apologize that this expectation was not met during your stay.
We hope you will allow us to host you again in the future, and create a new experience for you at the Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor.
Yours in Hospitality, Asad M. Guest Services Manager
Adrian, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

The view at night was beautiful.... walk across street to enjoy.... also very close oulette Ave. Where clubs are....lots of young people... room was clean and comfortable. Complaints.... breakfast was open till 10...a ton of guest....we for there by 915...everything picked over and staff never came back to restock...not even coffee. We stayed on 16th floor carpet outside elevators wore out...the hallway had tons of scuffs / dirt on paint.. something maids could easily wipe down...but obviously they ignore... maids need to take time to hallways and elevators too. Staff at desk friendly. At 4 am...we had enough of the partiers on our floor...I had to call front desk...people were in hallway taking it up loudly.... security Did come up and tell them to get quiet...Thank goodness.... we booked on line with taxes 130 USA.. then a 12 charge for parking....would we come back...sure...great deal last minute....

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Hello Brenloveslife,

I apologize you did not experience our breakfast buffet to the fullest. I have addressed this matter to our breakfast manager so we can keep a closer watch for the future.

It is unfortunate you had an issue with "partiers" on your floor, however we are please our security department was able to rectify the situation. We encourage our all our guests to have a pleasant time no matter the reason for their visit, but must remember to respect the other guests as well.

The hotel has plans in the near future to finish the room renovation of the upper floors to better suit the needs of our guests! We hope you can experience our new look during your next stay!

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

If you ask for the Romance Package you get a King bed, view of the Detroit skyline and 4 chocolates. Rooms are angular and awkward for sitting looking out over the river. We brought our own drinks, but there was no opener. The desk had none either and suggested we try a convenience store. Bare bones continental breakfast. Nice staff. The hotel should put more in to this hotel to make it more appealing. Frankly, I'm not sure they want to be in the hotel business. This would be a great alternative to a Caesar's Casino stay and they should capitalize on it. There is currently a wage and benefit dispute but I believe that, judging on the caliber of the front desk staff, the owners should entertain the idea. Owners : make this hotel a destination spot !

Room Tip: rooms facing the river are very nice. Quiet and quite lovely at night. Bring an opener.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveller_360063
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Hello traveller_360063,

Although the hotel has gone through some changes and have removed some amenities, we have listened and heard our guest’s suggestions. You will be happy to hear the hotel will be introducing new room, lobby area and lounge/bar renovations just to name a few! Ultimately want to make everyone’s stay and experience more pleasurable.

We have always been proud to have such great staff as part of the Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor family, and are happy our guests notice their dedication and passion as well!

Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

My recent stay at the Water Front Downtown Hotel in Windsor, Ontario was excellent. The rooms are comfortable and staff are curtious. It offers very good value with breakfast included. The river view seen from all rooms is great. The location is central an convenient.
My conference colleagues who stayed there were very satisfied with the stay, accommodation, registration and service.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WATERFRONT HOTE... D, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Waterfront Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Hoda E,

Thank you for taking the time to send us a message, we appreciate your feedback. We are thrilled to hear all of your guests were happy with their stay at the Waterfront Hotel Downtown Windsor. We pride ourselves on our guest services, and we always strive for 100% execution. The view of the Detroit River & Skyline from each of our rooms is definitely one of our winning attributes, and we are happy you found the time to enjoy it during your busy schedule. Whether it be for business or pleasure, we look forward to hosting you again soon!

Asad M., Front Desk Manager