“You will not be disappointed”
Review of The Sonata Inn

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
West Virginia
“You will not be disappointed”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

This B&B is outstanding. I would not hesitate to return. Whats not to like. It has greast location, very nice rooms, excellent food, and very friendly and helpful staff. I am glad we stayed here.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The Sonata Inn is a treasure. My two friends and I found it accidentally, directed there by the PEI Tourist Board. We stayed for a week in August, and every aspect of our stay was nothing less than perfect. The house dates from the 1930s, and original moldings and spaces have been maintained wherever possible. The front parlor is now an annex to the diningroom, and the small chair at the bottom of the main stairway encourages fantasies of an awkward young man waiting for his date to come down the stairs. Period wall decorations and furniture carry out the musical theme.

But the interior has been updated in all the important ways. The rooms are spacious, meticulously clean, soothingly decorated in shades of cream and caramel. The bathroom fixtures are new and high-quality (the shower was particularly delightful). The staff is exceptionally pleasant and helpful: three of us shared a room, with two queen beds and a futon, and the Inn's manager was very concerned that the futon mattress be comfortable, even offering to replace it if necessary. (In fact, the futon was more comfortable than most hotel beds.)

Breakfasts, which are included in the cost of the room, include produce of the area (the sour-cherry muffins are not to be missed); the taste and presentation are elegant. Fresh fruit, muffins made on-site, and the usual toast and cereal are always available. In addition, every morning featured a different main course, from ethereal zucchini souffle to perfect scrambled eggs and local sausage.

To top it off, the cost was extremely reasonable, and the Inn's location is ideal. On a leafy residential street, the Sonata Inn is still only four blocks from the epicenter of Charlottetown.

I am not given to gushing reviews. But this place warrants every superlative my friends and I can give it. Go and enjoy!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Sombra
Reviewed 20 September 2010

This was the 2nd time my husband and I stayed at a B & B and it was a wonderful experience. The Sonata Inn has a lot of charm and is located in a quiet residential neighborhood. It is only a few blocks away from the downtown area. The Sonata Inn doesn't have a lot of "curb appeal" but you will be surprised how nice it is on the inside. Our room was very spacious with a very comfortable Queen size bed and a flat screen T.V. The room was very clean and tidy. Close to our room was a small area with a fridge (with an ice maker), microwave and a tea kettle which was very convenient.
I would certainly recommend this B & B to anyone. It exceeded our expectations! Try it out on your next visit to Charlottetown. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Ruislip
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We stayd here during our tour of PEI. This appears to be an old house which has been extended at the rear to make up a number of rooms. The room we had was to the front with a lovely view. If our room was anything to go by then every room is very smart modern and extremely well furnished. The breakfast were very good. We were late in the season so there were not many people around. This Inn is a short easy walk from the main town and harbour walks. The town is absolutely beauiful and definately worth a visit. The peole are very friendly. Although we positively enjoyed the Inn it was more of a hotel than an Inn but with little staff around. They were polite and helpful but on the whole no staff were around bar cleaning, booking people in or out or breakfasts. At night we were alone bar other guests. If there were any problems one had to phone another B & B three doors down, owned by the same people, bit disconcerting. Having said all that this is an excellent venue, great rooms, food and location and one which I would unhessitantingly recommend to stay at.

sonatainn, Owner at The Sonata Inn, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thanks for the wonderful review! Yes, all the rooms are very similar in style!

About the staff issue. There is actually a live in Innkeeper, who is available at all times, even at night (The Innkeeper lives on the top floor.) The desk is monitored by CCTV when the innkeeper is upstairs. At night though, I post my personal number on the desk for guests to call for quicker service (I actually live right behind The Sonata Inn.)

However, I understand the importance of having a sense of presence for guests at all times, thank you for pointing it out! We'll work on something for next year!

I hope we see you again next time!

Innkeeper/Owner
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed 16 September 2010

After returning home I realized that the prong portion of my Blackberry charger had stayed in the wall socket when I pulled it out. I e-mailed the Sonnnata and they actually sent me 2 pictures of chargers that had been left behind. Sure enough one was mine and they mailed it off to me. The Inn is in an excellent location within walking distance of downtown, the theatre, restaurants, shops and the water front. The boardwalk along the bay is just down the street. Breakfast were a great way to start the day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
sonatainn, Owner at The Sonata Inn, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thank you very much for your review! Thanks to modern technology, it is really easy for us to send pictures of lost items to correctly identify them before we ship them off! We're happy to hear you received your charger!

Thanks for mentioning the great location! We are super close to everything here in Charlottetown!

I hope you had a great stay here, and we hope to see you again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sonata Inn from Sept 9 - 14, 2010. The location is fantastic - only three blocks from the main street yet the Inn is on a very quiet residential street. Parking is off street and plentiful. The rooms are pristine and well equipped. Breakfast included a hot selection each morning as well as toast, fruit, tea biscuits, muffins, yogurt, coffee etc. There was more food than we could possibly eat. Service was quick and friendly. Honestly, there is really nothing to complain about - it suited our needs perfectly. If we were to return to Charlottetown, we would definitely stay at the Sonata Inn again.

sonatainn, Owner at The Sonata Inn, responded to this review, 21 September 2010
Thanks for your wonderful review! We really enjoyed having you stay with us, and we hope to see you again soon!

Thanks for mentioning the plentiful breakfasts!!

The Sonata Inn.
victoria bc
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Out of 7 different places we stayed during our trip out east this was by far the best! Most comfortable beds you will find, great food and a friendly welcoming atmosphere. Location for wandering Charlottetown could not be better and the internet access made it easy for us to organize and plan how to get to various destinations. If I find myself in Charlottetown again I wouldn't look for any other place to stay as this was the best!

• Stayed August 2010
sonatainn, Owner at The Sonata Inn, responded to this review, 9 September 2010
Thanks for your review!! Thank you for mentioning the comfortable beds! The mattresses have pillow tops, so they are perfect for weary travelers!

I hope you had a great time here! Please come back soon, and keep in touch!

The Sonata Inn.