“An Island Treasure”

and 1 more site!
Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #38 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is a review of our first visit to Grandma's Tea Room and Gift shop.
We stopped in for tea on are slightly rainy afternoon and not only did we have a wonderful tea but felt as though we were visiting friends. As soon as you arrive and begin your walk through the garden heading to the tea room entrance you realize that you are somewhere special. I wish we could have lingered in the garden but as I said it was a rainy day, but we did sit where we could look out at it and enjoy the pond and be entertained by a hummingbird whenever the drizzle let up.
The tables were all set with beautiful vintage bone china cups and saucers and looked warm and welcoming. I knew as soon as I walked in that this tea lover have come to the right place. We went to the "sniffing bar" where you can open the little jars of loose tea and have an idea of what the teas were going to be like rather than just reading a description on paper. What a great idea, with help from Cindy I chose a blend I would never have chosen just from reading about it and was very happy to discover a new tea that I thoroughly enjoyed. She also let me know that if I did not like it I could replace it with on of my tried and true teas. I have been to tea rooms where this was not an option so this was a pleasant surprise. Guy paid attention to the time for brewing the tea as well, which as a tea lover I found important. Also out came the best scones you could hope for, oh my they were wonderful. Okay, I'll admit it, they were better than mine and I get many compliments on the ones I bake. The tier tray was filled with 4 types of wonderful finger sandwhiches, and having some of all four I could not pick a favorite. The bite size sweets were a wonderful finish to the meal. It was a wonderful experience and we will definately be back and recommend it to all. Even the bill was presented with a personal and special way, it was printed on a pink handcut teapot!
Now for the gift shop in the front of the B&B. Can you say sea glass, Cindy does some of the most beautiful wrapping of sea glass that I have seen. There are pendents, earrings, bracelets and rings. And if you have a favorite piece of your own she will wrap it for you or even teach you to wrap it yourself. Beautiful! There are even note cards made with real sea glass.
I also learned that Cindy is an award winning scrapbooker, and some of her pages were chosen to represent PEI in and nationwide contest. Way to go Cindy. She has many scrapbook pages and items available and they made me want to begin a scrapbook of my own. Anyone who is wanting to make a PEI scrapbook page really needs to check out this shop.
Of course there are tea items too and at this very moment I am using one of her drip catchers on my own vintage teapot. There are also tea and tea accessories available.
So I guess you can tell, I think is this a special place and I plan on making it a regular stop. It is easy to find and I can not imagine a tea lover being anything but happy with the stop here.
Thank you Cindy and Guy for a making a rainy day seem bright.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 27 July 2012

The Trailside B&B is a great place to stay when visiting Prince Edward Island. I stayed for 8 nights. The rooms are comfortable and decorative, the breakfast is fantastic (especially the waffles), and the hosts are wonderful, friendly people with two lovable dogs. It is close to the airport (about 2.5 km) but a taxi ride will cost $11 and bus service is infrequent. I arrived at around 11:30 pm and had no choice but to take a taxi, but I departed in the morning and walked to the airport (about a 50 minute walk). Bus service from the B&B to Charlottetown is also infrequent, so I walked to Charlottetown Mall (about a 45 minute walk) and took a bus from there to downtown. Buses from the mall to downtown run every 15 minutes (no buses on Sunday) and cost $2.25. There are 2 convenience stores and a Tim Horton's within walking distance of the B&B. The Confederation Trail is right next door. I had a fantastic visit and I highly recommend staying at the Trailside B&B.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank tfmath
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I haven't even checked in yet and Cindy has insulted me several times - by phone and email. When I was trying to make reservations, she sent me an email with links and tons of information. Great, super helpful! But when I called to give her my credit card info, and then casually asked about the cancellation policy and other things, she berated me for not reading her email entirely and seemed completely out of sorts that I would even ask her these questions that were already "answered." I'm sorry that I like talking to a live person rather than reading pages of information...?

I gave her the benefit of the doubt and let the rudeness drop. As my trip is approaching, I decided to email her and let her know my estimated arrival and suggestions on scheduling so that we could check-in at a time that wasn't so inconvenient for her. She tells me she has no idea what time the PEI ferry runs from Nova Scotia and she will "see you whenever." Verbatim.

The cancellation policy is also awful. Basically once you give her your credit card she will charge you no matter how much advance notice you give her of cancellation. So I'm stuck in this reservation... Cindy seems like a great people person. Can't wait to meet her in person.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Melmel67
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Soothing music, delicious tea, warm scones, gracious hospitality- what more could you ask? A lovely collection of hats to choose from makes your luncheon complete!

If staying at the B&B, hearty breakfasts on a flexible schedule. Hosts Cindy and Guy give good advice on local sights and destinations.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2012

The hosts are informative and delightful, the garden is gorgeous and relaxing and the waffles are yummy! It was so nice to come back after a day in the sun to stroll the garden in the evening. Theme rooms are well done, and it is nice to know a portion of the room's fee goes towards a worthy charity.
Being just outside Charlottetown made it easy to tour the region and still pop into the city to shop and explore.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Africa themed room and loved it, but if you are an arachnophobe, ask for a differen...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Baleigh M
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Guests were very hospitable and lovely.

Place is very well set up with a free telephone and computer in foyer.

Perfect location right in center from NESW only took less than 2 hours to drive in each direction. LEss than 10mins from downtown and better to avoid traffic.

Breakfast was substantial wish there were some fruits Loved the home baked bread and jams.

Rooms were comfortable and clean. Each had there own locks and key if needed.

Free parking

Shower upstairs could have used an update but was fine for me.

Loved the dogs :)

Missed the biscuits and tea time :C Ill be back on my next visit !!!

Room Tip: best location
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2011

A stay at Trailside B&B was very easy to coordinate, from booking to arriving. My Mum and I were traveling before the season officially started on PEI. However, whilst some of the major (Anne) attractions were close, thankfully Cindy and Guy's B&B was open! VIA Rail got us within a reasonable distance from the B&B (drives passed the front door!) and taxis in Charlottetown are on a fixed rate by distance fare.

The facilities were great, comfortable and clean. Cindy and Guy were always ready with helpful information. The Authentic PEI Experience (Garden tour, cream tea and scrapbooking) was fabulous! Lots of laughs and a fabulous way to spend the afternoon!

I wish we could have stayed longer to see the changes happening daily in the garden and watch more of the beautiful wildlife over another cup of tea!

Highly recommended!