“Clean, safe but very AWKWARD”

Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #37 of 44 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Saskatoon, Canada
“Clean, safe but very AWKWARD”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

Things got off to the wrong foot from the start. The first issue arose because the check-in times were not advertised accurately on the booking website. (We arrived at 4:15pm, within the advertised 2-9 pm, to a note on the door that stated that check-in times were 2-4 pm and 7-9pm). We had theatre tickets for that evening. We contacted the hosts promptly and explained the situation. It was discussed that we would check-in after the show ended. However, when we arrived, we were received rather abruptly. Breakfast proved to be just as awkward. We were told our breakfast was at 8. When we arrived, it was difficult to discern who were the other guests and who were the hosts. No one acknowledged us or offered introductions and conversation was very strained. We were treated like children. We are all young professionals (in our late 20's and early 30's) in the public sector and found the interactions and offhand comments very unprofessional and agist.
We did not feel very welcome during our stay and got the distinct impression from the hosts that we were imposing. This was in contrast to service that some of the other guests received. This bed and breakfast lacks the Atlantic hospitality we have come to know.

Some advice:
1) Double-check the check-in time with the hosts to avoid confusion and misadventure
2) Consider carefully before booking here if you are younger. This may be a better place for
families and older couples.

We will not be recommending this bed and breakfast anytime soon.

1 Thank LBalakrishnan2007
PEIsland's_Girl, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 3 September 2012
I am sorry to hear you were upset about the check-in times. We have raised the issue with booking.com. I believe we mentioned we are a new establishment with booking.com and we are finding a few glitches in our listing.

We have also found that some people do not read the entire "listing". You would have seen "no credit card required to make a booking" which is not the same as "we do not accept credit cards". However, the method of payment (cash only) is clearly indicated on the listing in booking.com. There are many bed and Breakfast that operate on cash only. Especially for seasonal businesses, the cost of maintaining a credit card system year round can be prohibitive.

Age has nothing to do with the way we treat our guests. We enjoy talking to all our guests and do our best to ensure everyone has a good time. I specifically recall having conversations with the three people in your party during breakfast, including tips on where to go and directions to your destination.

While I cannot deny the way you feel, I also feel that I did my best to make you feel welcome as we do for all our other guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I would just like to say that the Trailside B&B is by far the best Bed and Breakfast I've visited in a long while. Cindy's Sea Glass jewelry making is something everyone woman and girl should experience!! The owners were so helpful, they know the area well and have lots of wonderful stories and information to share about PEI. I recommend everyone pays them a special visit!! LOVE LOVE LOVE this B&B!!!!!!

Room Tip: Rooms at the top floors are quiet and beds are comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Thanks Poppy for taking the time to write a review. The sea glass wrapping is a new activity started late last year. It has been a very popular experience - I made my own piece of jewellery from a piece of sea glass found on Prince Edward Island.

We also like to share our tips on where to go and things to do - even where to find sea glass.

I hope we have the opportunity to meet again.
Antigonish, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I, and four good friends, stopped in at Grandma's Tea Room this past weekend. We had the full experience--hats, tea sniffing, scones, sandwiches, and sweets. They were able to accommodate both my vegetarianism and my friend's Celiac Disease--no small feat! I am not a tea drinker, and my friends dragged me there in hopes of changing that. They just might have succeeded! After our lovely and relaxed lunch, we stopped by the gift shop and I purchased a beautiful little vase. Our hosts were hospitable with good senses of humour and a genuine eagerness to please. Highly recommended--even for my fellow coffee fanatics!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
It was a pleasure to greet your group in the tea room. Although we also serve coffee, we encourage even the coffee drinkers to experiment with our tea varieties - the tea sniffing bar is a great way to explore new flavours and pick the perfect tea.

I have also done my own experimenting to come up with a good gluten free scone and GF sweets to accompany the tea experience. We have good resources here at the "Bulk Barn" that has an abundant selection of GF ingredients and recipes.

At Grandma's Tearoom, we do our best to accommodate all our guests' needs.
Ladysmith, BC
Reviewed 17 August 2012

We booked our reservation long before our arrival and several emails about helpful information was above average. I knew before we arrived it would be a wonderful stay. Once we arrived it was a up lifting experience for both of us. The hosts were as good as it gets in every respect. Once we were greeted and shown around, we were already in heaven. We got up the first morning ( what wonderful beds to sleep on) to find the best breakfast and all so fresh and home made. There is no restaurant that would ever come close to this quality of food. We spent a bit of time chatting and got so much help about the Island, where to go and what to do. Over the three days we watched as Cindy and Guy helped all the guest and some of them a lot more than any hotel/motel would. If I return to the Island for any reason, this is where I will always stay. Not only is the price excellant but the service was way above average. Thank you so much for all you did for us.
Did I mention that that the food was awsome!! And that is coming from a Chef!!
If you want the best place to stay and eat thebest homemade food, stay here please.

Room Tip: I do not think it will matter what room you stay in, it is a home of quality.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks Paul for the high praise (from a chef no doubt). We pride ourselves on provident a comfortable night's sleep (our beds are our business) and a good breakfast.

It is also a pleasure to help people staying a few days with suggestions on places to go and to recap their previous day's adventures
Reviewed 13 August 2012

What can I say about Cindy and Her Sea Glass Jewelry but WOW so BEAUTIFUL....we had a fantastic time visiting her Gift Shop. She teaches you how to make the jewelry or you can purchase some beautiful pieces that she has already made.. I did both, I could not resist purchasing some that she made, they are so beautiful and it was so hard to chose which one I loved the best so I bought 4. My thirteen year old daughters and I, also made some of our own, if you find Sea Glass you can bring it with you or Cindy has a treasure chest full of glass to chose from. She sits with you and shows you what to do to make a beautiful piece of your own, it takes about 20 minutes or so. We loved every minute of our time there and would definitely go back again. Thank you so much for the lovely memories and our new cherished necklaces....your work is beyond words absolutely Beautiful....A MUST DO place to visit for Sea glass and the owners are fantastic....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I had a fabulous time learning how to wire wrap sea glass with Cindy. It was a great accidental find and one I wish everyone could encounter. I had a such a great time I brought my daughter back the next day. We felt like family from the time we got there. A truely delightful experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Castalian Springs, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is a review of our first visit to Grandma's Tea Room and Gift shop.
We stopped in for tea on are slightly rainy afternoon and not only did we have a wonderful tea but felt as though we were visiting friends. As soon as you arrive and begin your walk through the garden heading to the tea room entrance you realize that you are somewhere special. I wish we could have lingered in the garden but as I said it was a rainy day, but we did sit where we could look out at it and enjoy the pond and be entertained by a hummingbird whenever the drizzle let up.
The tables were all set with beautiful vintage bone china cups and saucers and looked warm and welcoming. I knew as soon as I walked in that this tea lover have come to the right place. We went to the "sniffing bar" where you can open the little jars of loose tea and have an idea of what the teas were going to be like rather than just reading a description on paper. What a great idea, with help from Cindy I chose a blend I would never have chosen just from reading about it and was very happy to discover a new tea that I thoroughly enjoyed. She also let me know that if I did not like it I could replace it with on of my tried and true teas. I have been to tea rooms where this was not an option so this was a pleasant surprise. Guy paid attention to the time for brewing the tea as well, which as a tea lover I found important. Also out came the best scones you could hope for, oh my they were wonderful. Okay, I'll admit it, they were better than mine and I get many compliments on the ones I bake. The tier tray was filled with 4 types of wonderful finger sandwhiches, and having some of all four I could not pick a favorite. The bite size sweets were a wonderful finish to the meal. It was a wonderful experience and we will definately be back and recommend it to all. Even the bill was presented with a personal and special way, it was printed on a pink handcut teapot!
Now for the gift shop in the front of the B&B. Can you say sea glass, Cindy does some of the most beautiful wrapping of sea glass that I have seen. There are pendents, earrings, bracelets and rings. And if you have a favorite piece of your own she will wrap it for you or even teach you to wrap it yourself. Beautiful! There are even note cards made with real sea glass.
I also learned that Cindy is an award winning scrapbooker, and some of her pages were chosen to represent PEI in and nationwide contest. Way to go Cindy. She has many scrapbook pages and items available and they made me want to begin a scrapbook of my own. Anyone who is wanting to make a PEI scrapbook page really needs to check out this shop.
Of course there are tea items too and at this very moment I am using one of her drip catchers on my own vintage teapot. There are also tea and tea accessories available.
So I guess you can tell, I think is this a special place and I plan on making it a regular stop. It is easy to find and I can not imagine a tea lover being anything but happy with the stop here.
Thank you Cindy and Guy for a making a rainy day seem bright.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple