“A lovely stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

North Bay, Canada
“A lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

April 2013
Very welcoming, very comfortable, great breakfasts and a sitting area which was comfortable on a cold afternoon and evening. The spring flower garden was a sight and there was memorable bird watching at breakfast. Thanks from 2 grandparents and a teenage grand daughter.

Room Tip: 2 cute bedrooms, a sitting area and a bathroom upstairs made for a mini-suite.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cindy_Guy, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
From one grandparent to another, it is the small things ;-) that always makes a difference in life and then often it is the larger things in life that keeps us going. Like grandparents, kind souls and kindred spirits. It helps when we meet such wonderful people in our travel of life. Thank you for your kindness. Thank you for coming by, it was my pleasure to have made you smile for awhile.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Grandma's Tea Room

Hi Cindy & Guy,

Thank-you for squeezing us into your busy family day!!! Greatly appreciated! and Thank-you, Thank-you for the lovely tea Saturday afternoon with my Mom & friends. :) Everyone was so very pleased with the wonderful amazing, tasty scones, sandwiches and sweets. They raved on as we drove home...you should both be smiling!!!! My friends mom is an amazing cook/baker as is my Mom and they both gave you rave reviews...good for your business to come. It was spoken about taking so and so there when they are home in the summer so you already could have some repeat business coming your way. I too will be sure to recommend your lovely tea room...I can't get over your attention to detail for everything....so appreciated and fun, fun! I love the atmosphere and the beautiful view your glorious windows show!....so peaceful and tranquil with the little fishes swimming, the birds chirping and the snow laying ever so white on the ground.

Will definitely be returning and telling others about this "Gem of a Tea Room" in Winslow, PE!

Kelti (at the Aloha)

Room Tip: We were there at the Tea Room only. I did see the new additional two bedroom private suite and it i...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your most wonderful review. It is family tea times that I remember most often. I'm so glad I have a spot where you can come, sit a spell, have tea and enjoy the gardens and birds from the tea room, it is such a touch. The details, they are what I'd expect and my vision if I'd ever visited a tea room before I opened ours. Thank you again, enjoy some of your summer and be sure to take some time for tea :-)
Brooklyn, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2012

My daughter and I visited PEI at the end of june for the first time as her graduation trip. We experienced everything Anne.We took along my mom and my great niece to visit nova scotia where her folks came from. We were coming back from charlottetown and decided to stop for tea, one of our favorite things. What we didn't know is it was closing at the time we drove up. But the owners Guy and Cindy were very gracious. While cindy worked with someone in the scrapbook area Guy served us after hours and gave the girls the most extraordinary tea. My daughter is legally blind but she observed everything about our tea. How awesome the blueberry scones were. How their shape was perfect and how the tea was scrumtious especially grandma's special:) We also gathered items for a tea to have at home with our quilting group and for our scrapbooks to have as a memory, which we have a unigue one of a kind:) The girls still talk about their experience and my daughter compares her scones now everywhere we go comparing them to grandma's:) Thank you so much Guy and Cindy, it is my hope that we can visit again someday:)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Remembering the day like it was yesterday and although a little late in responding we do our best to take care of travellers to the Island. I'm so glad that you stopped by, made your way to the gardens and had such a lovely time. Thank you for your lovely review. The next time you are on the Island if we appear closed do as you did and ring the bell, most often we stop for tea, conversation and a wee break all hours of the day.

So glad to have met you and your daughter.
Detroit, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I came here with a group of friends for tea while on vacation in Prince Edward Island. This tea room was such a disappointment after the wonderful service we received elsewhere on the island. There was a misunderstanding about my reservation for tea and Cindy berated me and went as far as to call me rude for asking if there was a way to rectify the misunderstanding. I have never been treated so horribly as a customer in my life. I will not return here for tea or to stay at the b & b. On the flip side, her husband was very kind to us and informed us that he thought we could work things out. Cindy, however, did not allow this. The only reason I gave as high as a poor rating is because of him and the tea sandwiches which were actually good. I will say also that Cindy did apologize to me but only after being asked to by another member of our party. We paid $60 a person for a tour of the garden (which Cindy informed me was free), a $20 tea, and a scrapbook page that would have cost me $5 to put together at home. Your time and money would be better spent at many of the other wonderful locations on Prince Edward Island.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank STVC_12
PEIsland's_Girl, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
It seems we have suffered a few glitches. I responded to this review several weeks ago. Then the review disappeared form the system only to reappear later without the response. I shall address the issues once again. This review is written by the "kind husband"

I am sorry to hear your visit was not enjoyable. Form what I recall, you had been travelling with a large group and you had quite a busy schedule. I recall, while waiting for the rest of the party to arrive, that a few people made comments about the hurried nature of the trip.

We had worked out the details of the event with the organizer weeks prior. I know how difficult it is to organize an event for several people. It is often difficult to please everybody. However, you have to understand that for a small business (husband and wife), we have to adhere to the "menu" as it was negotiated with the organizer. It seems you were not made fully aware of the details of the event and the cost. That was not our responsibility; we made the details clear to the organizer.

We also made it clear to the organizer that because of the significant cost of food to prepare for the event that no shows and last minute cancellations would have to pay the full price.

As for being treated rudely, remember that you were the one being rude. You insulted my wife and our establishment for not being flexible. When we were trying to move the party from the gift shop to the tea room, you refused to get out of your chair which made it impossible for us to lock the door and move to the other part of the house. When Cindy tried to be more forceful in asking you to move, you yelled insults at her. Unfortunately, that set the tone for rest of the event.

Our gardens are lovely in the spring and summer. Our guests often rave about the grounds. Your group came in September when "northern climate" gardens have lost most of their colour. I am sorry you were disappointed but you have to consider the time of year.

Finally, let me re-iterate that travelling in large groups can be frustrating. However, you should not take out your frustration with the agenda on the people who are trying to provide you with an enjoyable event.
Denville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

I planned a surprise once in a lifetime trip for my mother and I to Prince Edward Island, after 3 days on PEI we were readdy to go home withour tails between our legs and severly dissappointed and never wanting to return. Then we went to Grandma's Tea Room. Cindy and Guy became th ehiglight of the entire trip. The atmosphere was delightful, the food wonderful, they make their own perserves, clotted cream and the blueberry scones are the best I have ever had. I am not suppose to eat sweets and I devoured everything!!!! The cholocates were melt in your mouth. Unbeknownst to Cindy and Guy, my mother and I are tea room fanatics and have been to tea rooms all over the world. I have had tea at the orangery near Kensington palace, in the roaming gardens of Karlsruhe, Germany, even pasteries in France, Grandma's Tea room is definately amng my top 5 in the world!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Better late than never! Sorry it has taken us longer than usual time to respond to your so lovely review. We are home a short while from the US and can't let such a lovely review go unnoticed. We are glad to have been part of your Prince Edward Island vacation and the fact that we added a smile to your holiday can only mean we are doing what we set out to do best: entertaining with tea. It is with great pride and overwhelming vapors that I am honoured to accept such a favourable cluster of words and appreciate your kindness. I hadn't a whisper of notion that we had played such a role in your vacation day on which you stopped by. It is mentions such as yours that motivates a tired grandma to continue in the fun and frolic of Grandma's Afternoon Tea. Thank you once again; you have made us feel like a rose among thorns, blessings.
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

We rented the 2nd story rooms for myself, my wife and our grown daughter. These are the quieter rooms (less road noise), clean, well-kept, new hardwood floors, lots of windows to let the Prince Edward Island sea breezes blow comfortably through the bedrooms.

I loved the location on the Confederation Trail. I took 1 - 2 hour walks each morning along the trail, eating blackberries and raspberries, picking a wild apple occasionally, enjoying the quiet rural PEI scenery.

Breakfast was great! We were expecting continental breakfasts, but the menu we experienced was: Sunday--sausages and scrambled eggs, Monday--waffles, Tuesday--egg on English muffin followed by cinnamon buns. I would have felt guilty if I hadn't been taking long morning walks! I'm sure they would have given me my usual bran flakes if I had asked. We enjoyed watching the blue jays and squirrels who were breakfasting in the garden just outside the window.

This will be our first choice for a B&B next time we're in Charlottetown.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
PEIsland's_Girl, Owner at Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 September 2012
I'm glad Daniel that you had a good experience at our B&B. I was scheduled for surgery in the Spring when we wrote our advertisement last year. Therefore I was unsure if I would be capable, during my recovery, to prepare a full breakfast for our guests. I am glad to have been able to offer you a full breakfast that was to your liking.

We also enjoy being right on the Confederation Trail. Our dogs love to take their daily walk along the trail without the hustle of the city streets.

The second floor rooms are in the back of the house overlooking the gardens. This also shields them from the street noise and makes for a more relaxing stay.
NB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2012

This is a BnB.
If you need a hostel (ultra cheap) or a Hotel (central, standard, impersonnal, etc.) please click away.
Otherwise: Wow, this was great! Clean beds, clean rooms, attention to details, friendly hosts, breakfast with fruits, eggs, toasts, yogurt, tea, etc. I travelled with both my parents so we had a small guest room for 3 (2 beds)(99$/night for the room) and we shared a bathroom. The beds were excellent quality, the environnement very quiet, and I felt taken care of.
BUT THE REAL KICK though is that the Cousineau's, our hosts, were all about giving us advice about the island, teaching guests how to make, like islanders, jewellery from seaglass (that they advised us to pick in Souris and North Carleton), scrapbooking, really good victorian high tea -with hats to wear and cute decorum-, and a charming garden. I'd say THAT made a difference.
The location is out of town so if you are walking it might be complicated BUT for drivers it is good because 1)You are on Malpeque which is Hwy2 (it changes name in Winsloe) and it makes travelling around the island easy and 2)If you bring your bike you are right on the Island Trail (the transcanadian trail).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tanks Rich for the honest review. I like the way you pointed out the cost and location in an appropriate way. We pride ourselves in offering quality accommodations at affordable prices. We also enjoy giving travel tips to our guests and hearing about their adventures the next morning during breakfast.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlottetown
Comfort Inn
#2 of 23 in Charlottetown
A Country Home Bed & Breakfast
A Country Home Bed & Breakfast
#19 of 43 in Charlottetown

Been to Beside The Trail Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!