“An interesting house, far enough from the commotion but very close to everything”
Review of Spillett House

Spillett House
Spillett House
Ranked #22 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I spend one night at the Spillett House and had a very pleasant stay. Barb gave me a map and filled me in on the sights to see in Charlottetown. There aren't a ton of places to go and downtown is small, but it was convenient to walk around and very accessible. The house itself reminded me of my grandparents house--tastefully decorated and not overly done. The pieces in the room and the fixtures looked very old but nothing seemed run down, it was all well maintained. I don't know if it is the rule every day, breakfast when I went was at 8:30 and that seemed fixed; the advantage of that of course is that you get to meet the other guests of there are any, and I had a pleasant dining experience with a couple from Yellowknife. There was no TV in the room, but that was the only criticism I had, and a minor one at that since I managed to keep myself busy.
The muffins at breakfast, at least when I went, were DELICIOUS. I took one for the road but I would have taken a dozen if I could have, they were fresh, warm, and had nice big cranberries inside. There was other food as well as tea and coffee, but those muffins were memorable.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Canuckker
There are newer reviews for Spillett House

Reviewed 7 March 2012

We drove from Boston to Charlottetown and had not problem finding Spillet House. We were always able to find parking.

Barb, the proprietor, was a very gracious and attentive host. Breakfast was always freshly prepared in the mornings with fresh fruit and freshly baked items such as cinnemon roles or muffins. There was always plenty of tea and cofee as well as fresh bread.

The rooms are spacious and the shared bathroom always very clean. The B&B is situated within walking distance to Charlottetown City centre and harbour. Although, the house is situated in a very quite and tranquill area.

Before we booked we had reseached other B&B's and fount that Spillet House was by far the best value for money.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tamara W
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Highly recommended. Barb the innkeeper, a very warm and pleasant hostess, offers a tasty breakfast with freshly baked pastries. She also is a fountain of advice on activities and restaurants in Charlottetown and environs. In part because of her suggestions, we enjoyed our stay on PEI very much.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We were greeted by a very nice lady who was very gracious and helpful. The house is a beautiful old house, the rooms are spacious and the bathroom functional and useful.
Although our stay was short, Barb was very helpful and prepared a nice breakfast for us despite our very early departure.
This is probably the best kept secret in Charlottetown.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2010

I always find it a bit scary booking accommodation in unknown places. But did we ever luck out at the Spillett house. Sharing a bathroom is always a bit risky but there were no problems. The bathroom was spotless and large. Plenty of room for 2 people to do their thing at the same time therefore cutting down on bathroom time, this is what we did. There's also a note in the bathroom asking guests to limit bathroom use to 15-20 minutes. Good idea.
The highlight for us were the breakfasts. You will NOT get a breakfast like this at another B&B. We stayed at several on PEI and this was by far the best and also the cheapest, go figure. The breakfast table was beautifully set. When you sit down there is the most glorious bowl of fruit salad awaiting you. Accompanied by a pot of yogurt. In the centre of the table there is a basket of todays freshly baked item which changes each day. My favourite were the cinnamon buns, the best I've ever had. There were also boxed cereals and a handsome loaf of bread available for toasting if needed. Plenty of good hot coffee too.
Barb was a wonderful host. Available to answer questions and offer suggestions. Introducing you to her other friendly guests.
Our room was spotless and uncluttered with lots of space for hanging clothes. The ONLY thing I would have liked was a fan for the room. It was hot while we were there and it was hard to sleep. The hum of a fan and the breeze would have been just the thing to lull me to sleep.
The location is perfect too. Just a short walk to all the restaurants and attractions in Charlottetown.
We will be back for sure.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Arriving mid afternoon, our hostess, Barb Cann, quickly checked us in and gave us a tour of her beautiful heritage home. This spotless residence is decorated with lovely antiques and has a very welcoming atmosphere. Handmade quilts adorn all the beds (Note that Barb makes these quilts and also sells these beautiful pieces). Friendly and well informed, Barb gave us a map and shared her thoughts on places we might like to visit (this was my husband’s first visit to P.E.I.) answering our questions and helping us with directions. Although we shared a full bathroom with other guests (loved the heated floor!), Barb also has another small room next to the main bathroom with a toilet for her guest’s convenience. As we made our way downstairs in the morning we were greeted by the smell of brewed coffee and freshly baked croissants. The dining room was beautifully decorated with the table being adorned with lovely china and fresh cut fruit, homemade jams, yogurt and much more to tempt your taste buds. Barb was very attentive to all the needs of her guests. There is no formal parking (we parked on the street) but as we came and went, we never had a problem finding a parking spot. This B & B is across from Holland College and although our room was on the street side and we had the window open, we found it very quiet for sleeping. My husband and I would certainly stay again at the Spillett House Bed & Breakfast feeling in every way, it was good value. Thank you Barb!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple