“Very Good August Stay!”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Keswick, Canada
“Very Good August Stay!”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

This Best Western is very good!
To start, great customer service. We were expected to arrive on a Thursday but good old Air Canada let us down with a lay over in Montreal from T.O. Enough said!
This being our situation we called the hotel to inform them that we would arrive on Friday and they graciously did not charge us for the Thursday! Thank You! Great customer service.
The staff at the front desk, Wow! Very helpful with getting us a fridge, and all the secrets to local places to see. A special shout out to Tracey, who is always smiling and helpful with any question.
Our room was always very well cleaned and cared for.
The property is well kept and laid out. There are two buildings with a connecting tunnel underground.
We stayed in the north building, called Conference Center. Room #161 on the first floor close to the lobby. Nice room and enjoyed being able to open the window for some fresh air.
Lots of parking.
We had a late flight out on Monday and tried to extend our room. This is possible to do but because of a full house reservation, it was not possible for us.
However, they did offer to store our luggage for the day while we toured the island and allowed us to return for the use of the pool locker room and shower. Good customer service.
Breakfast: What can I say, very nice spread! Coffee, tea, juice, cereal, toast, muffins, eggs, crepes, sausage and yogurt.
We were here for the National Youth Track and Field Championships, so there were lots of hungry teens and not once a problem with the quality/quantity of the food or friendliness of staff.
Location: Walking distance to many food and drink spots! 5-8 minutes walk downtown.
We will definitely return when we visit Charlottetown in the future!
Go and enjoy!
Thanks to all the staff!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank keswickdoodle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
washago,on
Reviewed 20 August 2012

hotel seems older,we stayed in a king suite on aug 7th 2012.very close to downtown,adequate breakfast included. people seemed friendly. Did not experience any problems. second time here.
If your stuck and didn't plan ahead, its still a decent place to rest.

Room Tip: some rooms have a hallway on the exterior of room that passes by your bedroom window which makes it...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

The hotel itself is nice, modern, and close to nearby sites, activities, and has for the most part good and friendly staff. However, customer service is lacking. When traveling, I always call the location itself to make sure of things and to confirm questionable items. I avoid Expedia and other sites and because of this I don't get the best price - but usually I get what I asked for. Not this time, I asked for a room on the main building and a late checkout - this was all confirmed by the location and the best western main office. When I get there nothing was right and no solutions were offered. I get a room in the main building - right next to the exercise room - the window for the room actually looks in the exercise room (?!?) . The staff made no efforts to satisfy me with the late checkout - causing me extra stress and costs as I had to change my plans for the ferry and drive to cape breton. I asked for someone to make contact with me at the start of my stay and no one inquired about the problem for 4 days. Their answer was there are no guarantees in the reservations - I don't buy this - other hotels and chains honor their reservations. What's the point in calling ahead and confirming and they can't honor a reservation? I gave them numerous opportunities and everyone said they couldn't help me! Best Western hotels are usually my second choice after Delta hotels in Canada , and I still enjoy them, but I will not be returning to this one. They just don't care that when you make a reservation at a hotel the customer relies on getting what they wanted and causing hardship regarding changing plans is a problem during vacations.

• Stayed August 2012
Walter v, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
I would like to acknowledge the guest observations.
I was very happy to see your kind comments on the friendly staff and the overall quality of the guestrooms and the hotel in general.
Investigation of your specific issue with the "promised" late check out is somewhat complicated as we do not have your name to follow the trail properly. It seems that your booking was made by a central reservation office, possibly Best Western International or another source. I can assure you that we are very specific when taking reservations over the telephone at the hotel and review our check in and check out times, especially during the height of the summer season when we run at high occupancy. We post an 11 a.m. check out time to allow the housekeeping department sufficient time to clean the rooms for arriving guests with a promised check in time of 3pm. From time to time we have guests who need to have a later check out time than 11 a.m. and we typically arrive at a mutually agreeable solution where the guests understand that they need to incur an additional charge for the extended stay. This can apply to late departing flights or ferries. We aim to please both departing guests with the specified check out time but we also feel an obligation to honour our posted check in guarantee of 3pm. I hope this guests can understand that this can at times be a delicate balancing act, especially with vacationing travellers.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you to our hotel in the not too distant future.
Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Let me start by saying that I travel all the time for my work and I also have done some backpacking. I have stayed in different type of accommodations, anywhere from hostels to a Five-Diamond hotel. I can make a difference between reality and unrealistic travelers expectations.

Location:
Excellent. 5 minutes walk to the downtown core.

Room:
It was big, clean, not complaints there. I read reviews where people complain about the noise they can hear from room next to them. I did not hear any of this. The noise comes from the hallway door. Best Western, please invest in some foam tape (put weather stripping on the inside of the door frame to seal it up) as it will considerably reduce the hallway noise. That being said, there was also lots of group of kids-teens running in the hallway, talking loudly.... so its not just BW's fault.

Included breakfast:
This is where BW seriously needs to improve. They ran out of items all the time. The hours are good (6h-10h) but on our first day, we were there at 6h45 and the server told us that the hot food was not going to be out until 7h. Then, 4 days later, we were there at 6h30 and it was all out. Not too sure why they served hot food at different hours since both times was during the week.

Then, the first day they had whole wheat bread. They ran out of it on the second day. I was informed that they wont be any for the next few days until the delivery arrives. Both days, there was rotten apples in the basket. Also, you had to ask the server to refill items (croissants, bowls, cutlery, muffins...)

Im usually not picky about that kind of stuff, but i believe that if you are going to charge your guests in the high hundreds of dollars, you need to be on top of things. The free breakfast issues would not have bothered me if I paid $79-115 a night. For the amount I paid, I expected more. Its not like the issues were on one day, it was everyday we were there. Waking up earlier to get breakfast and then getting there to have half the stuff missing is an annoying way to start the day.

Internet:
Fast but was cutting off often and you had to type in the PW every 10-15 minutes.

All in all it was simply okay. I have stayed in hotels that were half the price but was much better.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Walter v, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, 10 August 2012
I thank the guest for taking considerable time to share his/her comments about the stay in our hotel. I truly appreciate the feedback and will share and action some of your comments with my team.
We have just completed a multi million dollar renovation of our hotel including completely renewed guest room interiors with granite countertop bathrooms, flat screen t.v.'s etc. I am glad you enjoyed the experience. We frequently receive great feedback on our very convenient downtown location which is literally within 5 minutes walkig distance to all downtown attractions.
Your comments about the newly introduced free hot breakfast were very disappointing especially your experience early in the morning with missing items. This should simply not happen I can assure you that this will be reviewed in detail with the breakfast team.
We have just introduced password protected WiFi which has substantially reduced the speed however I will closely monitor any further comments from guests about the password isues you dewscribed.
Thank you very much for sharing your observations with us and I hope to be able to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The room walls are paper thin and you can hear every noise in the adjoining rooms. The free breakfast leaves a lot to desire. No wonder this was rated 19 out of 26 in Charlottetown. I would suggest staying at the Delta or even one of the B&Bs before staying at the Best Western Charlottetown.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
I have reviewed your comments about your recent stay at our hotel. Customer feedback is always appreciated and I am sorry that you did not enjoy our newly renovated guestrooms due to disturbing noise issues.
We have just introduced our new Free hot breakfast including all required items including scrambled eggs, suasage, french crepes, yoghurts, 5 types of baked goods, juices, fresh fruit etc. I will continue to monitor comments from other guests to ensure that the breakfast is properly delivered by my team however in the high season it can happen that the breakfast room is extremely busy with holiday travellers which can at times cause slight delays.
Thank you for taking the time to comment and we will do all possible to further improve the breakfast offering.
Walter

Travellers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We stayed here recently when on vacation in Charlottetown. The hotel is close to the waterfront. The rooms are nice and clean. Our only complaint was the noise level between rooms, we could here the conversation of the people in the next room, more soundproofing would be good. The continental breakfast was good, with a selection of hot and cold items. A nice play to stay overall.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank canadathebeautiful
It was a pleasure to read the guest comments.
We have just completed a full renovation of the hotel including all guest rooms. We are receiving many compliments on the new produst offering.
I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from fellow guests. We try our very best to manage this aspect of the hotel however this can at times be somewhat challenging especially during the high season. We have an 11pm quiet policy in the hotel however this can sometimes be difficult to enforce especially when guests return to the hotel after 11pm.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on future visits.
Walter van Beek
GM
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 July 2012 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel a few times. It is conveniently located about 6 blocks away from attractions and restaurants. The staff is friendly and helpful. The hotel is always clean, rooms updated, and very good. It is not a 5* hotel, but it a *very good* and reasonably-priced hotel.

Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank aginsf
I thank the guest for taking the time to comment on their stay.
We frequently receive compliments on our downtown location and I plan to share your kind observations about the room and the staff with the hotel team.
Walter van Beek