“This place was so bad that we checked in and checked out 10 minutes later.”

BEST WESTERN Charlottetown
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Kingston
“This place was so bad that we checked in and checked out 10 minutes later.”
Reviewed 6 July 2008

Absolutely the worst hotel I have ever seen in North America. I find it hard to believe that the Cest Western lets this place sully their name.

We have often stayed in Best Westerns due to their consistency and value for the money. We checked into two rooms that a smell akin to dead animals and we told it was due to carpet cleaning. The rooms are in terrible need of a complete update. There were water rings on the furniture (damp) that house cleaning thought not necessary to clean. I also "loved" the bathroom concept where the sink is located outside the bathroom. Please take my advice and stay away from this dump. Ps. Don't be deceived by the photo on the website. There is an older wing across the street, which is an old motel with a facade built over the front. Both sections are horrible.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank smith852

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
New Brunswick
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Hi, over the years, I have stayed at several different Best Western Hotels, and have always been happy with the service and overall experience. I am writing to tell you that I am very unhappy with my experience at Best Western Charlottetown.
1. My safety was severely compromised. The door to the stairs(Fire Escape) was locked/jambed for 2 days and I told at least 4 employees including front desk.
2. Went to the pool, and was suprised to see no one in it. (full hotel) It was too cold to get in.
3. Went to get in the hot tub. Out of Order, and by the looks of the black stuff growing in the bottom, it had been out of order for awhile.
4. Last of all...this is stupid but frustrating...forgot my toothpaste, when i asked for some at the front desk the reply was "I don't think we have any, but if we do, I will send some up to the room" I went to the store and bought some for 74 cents. Bottom line, when I pay 204/night for 5 star hotel, I would like to stay at a 5 star hotel. On a positive note the rooms were clean

• Liked — Nothing outstading besides the location
  • Disliked — no hot tub, pool was freezing, the thought of burning like a rat, fire escape was locked
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank blubiker78

Travellers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

Toronto
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We spent only one night in this hotel and are now all dealing with BED BUG bites and infestations in our suitcases, clothes, bedsheets and homes. These bugs travelled home with us from Charlottetown to Toronto. All three of us that stayed in that room that one night have spent the last 3 weeks laundering, vacuuming and disinfecting our homes !

Don't stay at this hotel!! It's been a Bed Bug Nightmare ever since we got back !!!!!

• Liked — Absolutely Nothing
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank JersToronto
New Zealand
Reviewed 27 October 2007

How many ways can a motel screw up? They lost my reservation completely - even when I gave them the number they couldn't find it. They charged my card for nothing even before I had arrived, and it took a fax to sort out. No soap in the room! Crumbs in the cupboard! They don't change the towels and linen every day! They don't vacuum the hallway! When we were lugging our bags to the room, two porters walked right past us with an empty cart...

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — grotty
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank bb26
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 5 October 2007

After staying in this hotel, both my sister and I were diagnosed with scabies. The hotel assumes no responsibility. However, during our stay, neither cleanliness nor customer satisfaction was a priority. More than once our room was not cleaned, even though we were out all day, and when reported to the front desk staff, we were told that the cleaning staff were busy and did not have time to clean our room. At times, we were just given a couple of towels at the door, no cleaning was done at all. When cleaning was done, it was very basic. The kitchenette in the room was a handyman special, uneven handmade looking counters and cupboards and no plugins. Staff did not seem to know what facilities/services were available in the hotel. Food was mediocre. Price was around $150/night. I would have expected better and will not stay at a Best Western again.

6 Thank cateToronto_Ontario
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2007

Dollar for dollar, this may be about the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. I had little choice - I was in town for a political convention and this was about the only place free. Now I know why.

I paid $170 Canadian dollars a night for a room that stank of damp and cigarette smoke, even though it was supposed to be a non-smoking room. Water dripped down from the air conditioning unit, making an infuriating noise, so I had to stumble around looking for something to catch the drips silently (I used two upside down drinking glasses).

The bottom sheets were too small and could not be tucked under the mattress, so I kept waking up wrapped in white, just like a mummy. The fridge clattered away all night until I found the fuse box and flicked the right switch. The walls are paper thin, so I could hear all too clearly the people next to me as they shrieked and wailed late into the night.

A group of us were staying there and one night all our plastic entry cards stopped working. We went over one by one to the
reception, where each time the person on duty asked suspicously whether we'd "done something" to the card, as if we'd all chosen the same big magnet in town to walk by in a deliberate attempt to lock ourselves out of our rooms.

The breakfast was execrable. There is no other way to describe fizzy tinned fruit, concrete bacon strips and granulated scrambled egg that looked and tasted as though they could have been used as the foundation for a major highway.

The ONLY thing good about this dump is that it is five minutes' walk from downtown.

The receptionist did not ask how my stay had been when I checked out. I think I know why.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank Faience44
New Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed 7 July 2007

2 Friends and myself arrived at the Best Western on Friday night June 29th to stay for 5 nights. We had booked a room with 2 double beds (as there were 3 of us). Checking in was smooth, but then we got to our room and it was on the bottom floor of the main building and STUNK. The carpet was damp, there was a loud dehumidifier running constantly, and my favorite part, the room had 1 double bed and a pull out couch. At that point, since we got in so late, I just pulled out the couch and was just going to sleep on that, untill I noticed that the pull out bed slanted down at the head and foot parts, so you were literally doing a back bend if you were lying on your back. We called the front desk and were pretty much told they couldn't do anythign about it because they were booked solid (canada day weekend festival) and that too many people booked rooms with double beds and its a first come first serve basis, but they would send someone to look at the pull out bed. When the person came to look at the bed, he seemed embarassed that the bed looked like that and we were then told the person at the front desk should not have told us that the rooms were first come first serve. He left to 'see what he could do'. A short time later, they told us that we could be moved across the street to a room with 2 dbl beds and that my name was mixed up with someone elses ( likely story, my name is NOT common in any means and has NEVER been confused with someone elses name!) The room they moved us into was fine, it had 2 dbl beds and was clean.
The following 5 days were pretty uneventful there, theonly major things that happened were that twice the key card stopped working on us and we had to march down and go all the way across the street to get it fixed which is NOT fun when you have to use the bathroom! Also, one other time we had left our dirty towels on the floor and housekeeping took them out, but didnt restock all of them, so for 3 girls we had 1 towel to shower with. It took 3 phone calls and the next morning to get the towels back.
Upon checking out, they had given me a rate taht was alot higher than I expected and we were going through it and it was found outthat the reason the final price was higher wasbecuase the tax was over 18%, and on the sheet I had from when I booked the hotel ( I used the hotels website) it said tax was 17.7%. I showed them the paper I had with that tax rate and they pretty much said thats nice, we're still charging you 18+% tax because it went up in April. I was like, well I booked in early JUNE so you're website needs to be updated and thats false advertisement. It made over a $50 difference too. I was quite upset about that
Otherwise, the property is in a good location.. about a 5 minute walk to the waterfront. I just feel this property was WAY overpriced for what they offered. Next time, I will spend the extra money and stay at the Delta Prince Edward right on the waterfront. We went inside this hotel for a drink, and it is beautiful!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the staff and website lie to you!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends