“Worst Hotel Ever!”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Hammond, Louisiana
“Worst Hotel Ever!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is without a doubt the worst hotel for customer service I have ever stayed at in the last 10 years. We booked this hotel a number of months ago as a group package for our son's baseball team. When we arrived the entire team was in the new building across the street yet the team manager and coach (me) were placed in the old building. We asked why and they informed us that the hotel was fully booked and we had no choice. When we entered our room it smelled damp and musty. The toilet was plugged on entering the room. We informed the front desk and they sent someone to fix the toilet. We had to leave for our first game so left the repairman to fix the toilet. When we returned 2.5 ours later the first thing I did was check the toilet and guess what it still wasn't working! This time I made a trip to the front desk and asked to be moved again at which time I was again told the hotel was full. What bothered me was that the front desk staff followed this comment up by telling me I could check out if I wanted but "good luck getting another room in Charlottetown this weekend". Unfortunately she was right as I checked and there was only one room left at the Delta and it was 100 dollars a night more expensive or I would have left right then and there. They did send another staff to fix the toilet which he did as long as we held the flush until all the water emptied from the toilet and then released the lever. The room was so damp that the sheets actually felt moist when we went to go to bed that night. We left the next morning for more games and when we returned the pizza boxes from the night before and the garbage in our room was not cleared. I didn't even bother calling the desk again as it was so ineffective the night before. The morning breakfast was passable and that is the nicest thing I can say for this hotel. If you ever consider staying here I would insist on the new building although I would advise against ever staying here. We paid 340 dollars for our 2 night stay which was terrible considering the service and disdain to which we were treated. I can't even discuss how bad the wifi was either as I am getting to angry! I travel a great deal for work and stay at a number of hotels both in Canada, the US and the UK and this was the worst one I have ever encountered. It was so bad we cancelled our planed third night and left the island as soon as we could. I will never stay at another Best Western hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay in the new building but preferably stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Wayne C, Assistant General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
I would like to first aplogize for not exceeding your expectations. Due to the detail rendition of your experience here I inquired with our team to better understand how we could provide you with this experience. I did discover that the reason you were not with your team was because of the room type you had requested. We simply did not have that room type available in the building that the team was in. Our maintenance assures me that they did visit your room on two occasions and fixed the toilet, however I am sorry it was not to your satisfaction. I have talked with the front desk team about your comments and we are shocked that you did not feel we treated you with our normal awesome customer service.
I hope you will consider Best Western in the future.
Wayne Cotton, AGM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The location of this Best Western is perfect. Close to lots of things in Charlottetown and many restaurants nearby. The front desk staff have always been super friendly and accommodating. I can't comment on the value for the price as my company pays for the rooms. They are spacious and the beds are very comfortable. I haven't had the chance to have breakfast here yet, but I've heard nothing but good things from my fellow co-workers. The only real issue I have is with the internet. The wifi here is so slow that it's virtually unusable. They do have a computer in the lobby so if you're just looking to print a boarding pass or something like that, it probably wouldn't be an issue for you. If you're a business traveler that depends on being connected to the office or relies on internet... you might want to look elsewhere. I ended up having to share my cellphones data connection to my laptop just to write this review as it was much faster than their wifi.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
I would like to thank you for your comments about your recent stay with us. I sorry you had some problems with the internet connection. We have upgraded our internet and have had tremendous positive feedback since doing this earlier in the year. We have a support team that represents our system and they could have been a resource to help resolve your problem. We have also worked hard on improving our breakfast and I wish you could have enjoyed this free offering. I hope you will consider us on any future visits and please reach out to either the hotel team or our support if the internet is a concern.

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. We had a great time and were actually pretty impressed with the standard of the room that we had. Our room was in the north part of the hotel which is actually across the road from the main building and linked by a tunnel which runs under the road. I wonder, if from reading some of the other reviews the rooms in the main hotel are a little dated. The room we gad was great. It was very spacious, clean and the beds were the most comfortable we had on our entire trip. The complimentary breakfast was fine. There was a good amount of choice and the food was topped up regularly when things run out. The gym was also quite good for a quick workout. The hotel itself was also ideally located to explore Charlottetown on foot and there was plenty of parking. Would certainly recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul T
Wayne C, Assistant General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
I would like to thank you for your feedback about your stay with us. You have done a great job of explaining our many attributes for our guests to enjoy. Many guests enjoy our downtown location, for the walking availability. I know it is quite a trek to return to Charlottetown, but I do hope you will allow us the pleasure of being your hotel of choice on a return trip.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night. They have a nice pool, free breakfast and lots of rooms. The rooms were very expensive for what you got. It was an average hotel room, with a bad view out the window, a very noisy refrigerator, and the room didn't seem that clean. It was one of the last places that had rooms open in Charlottetown, so if you find yourself looking for a last minute hotel this might be a good option, but if you can book in advance there are better choices for the same price range.

Stayed July 2014
CubaJen,

I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. We are a downtown location and our view is that of a downtown hotel. You are correct that our rates are similar to other hotels, but our added value is that we offer, free parking, free hot breakfast, free Wi-Fi, free HD channels and a short walk to many of Charlottetown's attractions. I hope you will consider us on a return trip to Charlottetown to allow us the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Bowden, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night and that was to many! for $230 it was over priced by at least 80$ ! The room was not very clean, poor breakfast, staff were not friendly. The only thing that was ok was the bed at least it was fairly comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014
Wayne C, Assistant General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Lynn I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations. I am surprised you did not enjoy our breakfast because we have worked very hard on adding many extra items for our guests to enjoy. Things like homemade oatmeal, beans, eggs, sausage, fresh fruit cups, yogurt with fruit and granola and our expresso and cappacino machine that compliments our regular and decaf coffee, are things that many of our guests enjoy. Also our staff receive many compliments on there friendliness and I feel badly that you did not feel the same. Thank you for your feedback I will share it with the team.

Wayne Cotton, AGM

Travellers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This is my first visit to PEI and I have traveled the world and spend plenty of time at the Best Western or Plus locations which is what prompted me to book here. Upon arrival the staff were very friendly and efficient. I was given a room on the second floor and as i entered the main hallway the smell was so bad it made me gag. I entered my room to find the door sticks, the light would not stay on and no A/C the bathroom was old and need repair and the carpets were stained from what looked like a flood. I couldn't stand the smell in there either. If i had paid a few dollars for a motel I would understand you get what you pay for but this is not what i paid for,
It was very late when i arrived and my toddler needed to sleep so the front desk was kind enough to move us to the 3rd floor where we did have a/c the tub was better carpets still warn but that comes with age. No place else available on the Island so will make due

Room Tip: They have a new section across the street if you can get in. A little more to walk but much cleaner...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cynthia,
I am truly sorry that your experience with us was less then your expectations. We can not run and hide from the fact that we are an older hotel; but we pride ourselves on being clean and well maintained. Again it is unfortunate that we did not exceed your expectations.

Dublin
Reviewed 16 July 2014

A decent enough hotel to stop over for a night. Rooms are an acceptable size. The bed was comfortable. The air conditioning was effect but loud. The bath room was a bit weird in that the hand basin was separate and you could say it was actually part of the room itself. No big deal with this though. The place could do with a bit of TLC but for one night it'll do the job.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Wayne C, Assistant General Manager at BEST WESTERN Charlottetown, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
I would like to thank you for your comments on your stay with us. I am pleased that you found the hotel comfortable. Yes we do have some rooms where the vanity and the bathroom are separate. This set up has been praised by many guests because it allows one family member to use the bathroom while the other can use the vanity area. I hope you consider staying with us on any future visits to Charlottetown.