“faded glory”
Review of Rodd Charlottetown

Rodd Charlottetown
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed 28 September 2008

We stayed here in Sept 2008. The hotel has seen its day. Although a beautiful historic property built in the 30's , a major renovation was done about 15 years ago and its not a terribly good job. Anyone with an interest ion conservation will find it quiet depressing. Whilst the lobby is ok, pvc has been used in the windows and the decor is twee and not appropriate to the era the hotel was built. Overall the hotel is ok. Its grubby in parts and seriously needs investment in terms of painting of common areas and new soft furnishings and carpets for the bedrooms and lobby areas. The beds were comfy and although there have been a lot of complaints about the bathrooms I thought they were quaint and this is the one area where some original features such as cast iron baths and old tiles have been retained. The pool was grotty and again needs refurbishment. Staff were friendly, didnt try the food. Place seems popular with tour groups. Overall not worth 150 dollars a night.

To the owners I suggest you employ a decent conservation architect, splash some cash and start over with some renovation works.

Stayed: September 2008
There are newer reviews for Rodd Charlottetown

Reviewed 22 September 2008

Stayed here for business conference for three nights. Like other reviews, I was impressed upon arrival at the hotel with the entrance and lobby and the staff were polite and helpful. The room was a complete disappointment. two small beds which the hotel insists were doubles, torn carpeting, small rooms, dingy and old bed covers (how about feather duvets?), small bathroom with no where to lay anything. I had breakfasts and lunches at the hotel which were average. Poor value for money at over $200 per night. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Stayed their for one night with my wife while she was in Charlottetown on business. Room was booked by her company. $180 corporate rate.

Room was very small but bathroom was huge and nice? We felt a bit closterphobic. Very old hotel that has been renovated. No ventilation it seemed (very stuffy). Walls were very thin. Our room was next to the stair well with the head of the bed on that wall. I sleep light and was awake for most of night. Good times.

Staff are very friendly and hotel is clean. Had dinner and breakfast at hotel. Both were good but dinner was pricey.

Bottom line; Stuffy room, walls were closing in and no sleep = Glad I wasn't paying.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2008

I stayed at the Charlottetown for two nights with two friends of mine during July 2008. This was easily the favorite hotel of our trip through Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island.

Our room charmed us the minute we walked in. It was lovely and quite tastefully appointed. On the walls, instead of prints of saccharine paintings, hung hand-colored historical photographs, and there was an old-fashioned secretary desk with a folding top. (Plus there was a refrigerator in our room! Woo hoo!)

The tub was DEEP. I'm a short person, but when I sit down, my head still comes up well above the rim of most modern bathtubs. WIth this one, though, i could actually stretch out some and still remain almost totally within the bathtub. Each of us made sure to take a bath in it as we were all afraid that we would never encounter its like again.

The location is superb. The hotel is next to a little park and close to Charlottetown's major shopping areas along Queen Street and Victoria Row. It's a 10-15 minute walk to the waterfront.

The Charlottetown's beautiful historic building was a sight for sore eyes, especially considering that we had just come from the hideous box that is the Citadel Hotel in Halifax.

We had some good food served to us at the bar (I didn't partake of my friends' lasagna, but I liked the cake) and our bartender was very attentive and friendly.

Our room felt a little cramped, but the decor more than made up for it. I figure that older hotels are going to have smaller rooms than newer ones, anyway. The beds seemed a little small too, but it didn't matter to me since I had a bed to myself. (My friends probably would have liked a bigger bed, though, as they had to share one.)

Some of the fixtures in the bathroom showed a little wear and tear, but I was willing to overlook that in favor of the glorious bathtub and the attractive decor.

It isn't everyday that I get to stay in a room with character in a hotel exuding the classic elegance of the past. I would definitely come back here if I visit PEI again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2008

The Good:

Upon arrival, I was impressed with the building. It looked exactly like the pictures online ... a historic gem. The lobby was very elegant, in a classically Victorian kind of way. It was obvious that the lobby had been lovingly restored.

The front desk staff was very polite and did their best to accomodate my early check-in. I was pleasantly suprised at their friendliness and tourism knowledge. The customer service I received was probably one of the highlights of my stay there.

The location was also a plus. It's within walking distance of the wharf, and other main streets, but far away enough from heavy traffic that it's very quiet.

The menu in the dining room had a variety of items and was very reasonably priced. I tried the baked haddock for dinner, and it was quite good, although on the small side (the veggies make up most of the plate).

The Bad:

Despite the great first impression, the rest of the hotel was quite a disappointment. The elevators were tiny, and when I got off on my floor, the air smelt really musty and stale, like an attic that hasn't been cleaned in years.

The room was also a letdown. Size wise, it was average .. no complaints there. It was decorated in a traditional style, and that was fine. However, it smelt a little musty and the carpet felt like it needed a good steam clean. I ended up wearing my shoes the entire time, even going from the bed to the bathroom.

The bathroom was really small ... with nowhere to put toiletries, hang clothes etc.The toilet was right up against the wall and door, and the bowl was badly scratched. Also, the toilets are really loud ... everytime someone in the neighbouring room used the bathroom, you could hear the flushing noise (kind of like what you'd hear on an airplane bathroom).

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank CherryPinkPeony
Reviewed 21 November 2007

Older property but service, style, and location made the day. This property was an excellent choice - everyone made me feel welcome.

Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank gazeboman
Reviewed 13 October 2007

We stayed at the Rodd for two nights and loved it. Obviously everyone has different ideas on what constitutes 'small' because I didn't think our room was small at all. We had a standard room with two double beds and plenty of space to walk around. The only gripe we had is that there was only one suitcase stand, and no room to put the other one. You'd think that if a room is designed to accommodate more than one person, you'd at least get two suitcase stands and/or room to put them. Other than that, the room was clean and the decor was nice. The staff were also very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel and I'd stay there again if I ever went back to PEI.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family