“Old-World Charm”
Review of Rodd Charlottetown

Rodd Charlottetown
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is older and therefore the amenities are not up to standards we have come to expect: luxurious bathrooms, large rooms, mini-bar, etc. And yes, it is a little down-at-the-heel. But it has its charm, and the smallness of the hotel makes up for its flaws. It doesn't have the anonymous feel of the larger, newer hotels. This place is fraying but charming.

On another note, should you need a recommendation, go straight to Hanna at the front desk. She unfailingly intuited what kind of places I was looking for, and was able to give me excellent recommendations and good back-up plans in a pinch.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your comments and I will pass along your comments to Hanna she is a great people person and we are happy to have someone like her on our front desk.

There are newer reviews for Rodd Charlottetown

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is an old hotel - but they should get credit for the updates and still leaving the charm of the original hotel. Staff was very helpful. Location is within walking distance of town. Meals were excellent - except burned roof of mouth on the breakfast potatoes (my fault). This is a place we will return to.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
charlottetown, Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for your comments. Sorry about burning your mouth I will have the wait staff give a little bit of a warning to guests about hot food.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

When ever we get to,Charlottetown this is where we stay .the staff is very friendly & nothing is too much trouble for them .the rooms r very clean which is very important to us I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Charlottetown . Very handy to everything

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind words, I will pass them along to the staff.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Stayed two nights as part of an organized tour. This is one of the two or three worst hotels we have stayed in on organized tours, including at least one which had been constructed by the Soviets 40 years earlier and was already slated for a complete renovation. The Rodd Charlottetown doesn't so much need renovation and modernization as demolition and replacement. Only the most minimal efforts have been made to update the rooms. Room small and crowded with two beds where one should have been. Bathroom tiny and lacking any space for toiletries; we wound up putting their stuff on the floor to make room for our stuff. Instead of a chest, there was a drop-leaf desk with drawers in which to place clothes. With the leaf down, you couldn't walk around the desk. Furniture was supposed to give it antique-like charm, but instead, was just old and worn. Electrical outlets completely insufficient and poorly located for recharging electronics. Carpet was stained and worn. When we asked for extra towels, they were brought to the door on the 2nd or 3rd request with nary a word and a surly expression. I could go on but Karen L.'s review below hits all the low points. When we

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. All comments are appreciated. I have to agree our rooms are somewhat smaller than the newer style hotels. My concern is the point you brought up about the carpet. This point I want to look into as we have a quality control person that inspects every room on a regular basis. I will also address the fact that you had to request towels and they were not delivered with more hast. Again thank you for your comments

Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you are heading to Charlottetown anytime, I'd recommend this hotel. Although it's a chain, I'd still say it
is a boutique type of hotel and the staff are really friendly, helpful and they went out of their way to ensure that the my stay met my expectations. Chambers is a great restaurant, very tasty food, and very willing to alter meals (gluten free / lactose free). It's a beautiful property,, and it is so close to everything. I didn't rate the spa because I didn't use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you very much for your comments I will pass them along to all the staff. We do pride ourselves in our location, comfort, food and cleanliness.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The Rodd Charlottetown is conveniently located in the heart of the City close to all the night life, restaurants, Confed Centre, Peake's Quay, The Mack.....you name it! The property itself is so beautiful.....like a piece of history. The staff go above and beyond to make you feel like family and also to be so comfortable and relaxed. The rooms are very clean and tidy and with the age of the Hotel, it is surprisingly in excellent condition. I WILL DEFINITELY BE STAYING THERE AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!!! Congratulations to the Manager and Staff for operating such an excellent establishment!!! You deserve a pat on the back and honorable mention!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words about our staff and our hotel. The majority of the staff here have been with the hotel for over 20 years and take great price in their work. I will pass along your comments to the staff, thanks again.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed here last summer when I traveled back east from Alberta I was in the property for a week while I was home, it is close to everything within the downtown core, I would recommend staying here it is a beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to do a review on Rodd Charlottetown. I pass along all these reviews to the staff. We to feel very proud of our property and how it looks and feels to a guest.