“Disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Prince Albert, Canada
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I take a yearly vacation to PEI. We decided to stay at the Rodd Charlottetown after walking by it the year before. It is a charming looking hotel in a good area, within walking distance to Victoria Park and the downtown waterfront area. I checked in and the lobby seemed very nice. When arriving in our room, however, it was shabby at the best. My wife tried to tell me that it was a "historic property" and thats why it looked old and small. She did not convince me. The paint was chipping, the carpet was stained, the couch was worn. The electrical outlets pretty much consisted of an extension cord to which everything had to be plugged into (coffee maker, wine fridge, tv, and our chargers for phones etc.) On Saturday evening we had to wade through drunks in the lobby. The one security person that was visible was chatting with some women instead of controlling things. My wife thought she was getting sick as she started coughing all the time especially at night. On the last day of our stay ( we stayed three nights) I was looking up at the ceiling and realized their was quite a bit of visible water damage in an area. I believe this led the the coughing and feeling sick as my wife is quite sensitive to mold and moisture problems of any kind. When I tried to mention it to the front desk staff, I was told that there was not a manager I could speak to and to call the number on the business card I was given. I should have been told that the manager would call me (as the hotel has all of my contact info). I shouldnt have to hunt the manager down and hope for the best. (it is, after all. a "4 1/2 star" property.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kkuehne
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. I have to agree our rooms are smaller than the new box hotels. Regarding the comment on our security firm you may well be right and since receiving this we have changed security firms to a much more professional operation. Could you email me via the hotel web site direct as I would like to know the room you were in. We do quality checks of our rooms on an ongoing basic. Again thank you for bring this to my attention.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Wonderful old building with lots of class and charm. I'm told the rooms are fairly small - we got a complimentary upgrade to the honeymoon suite, and it was magnificent. Great location, close to everything, but not too noisy. Staff are very helpful and friendly. Water pressure was not great for showers, but that seems to be a standard issue across the island. Parking is free, but there is very limited parking out front, so unless you get very lucky you will need to park around back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I will pass along your comments to the staff.
Newington, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Recently completed a 6 night stay at the Rodd Charlottetown hotel. The hotel is a charming, old hotel, well appointed, and squeaky clean. Every thing from the small, inviting restaurant where we had breakfast every morning, to the friendly and helpful staff was top of the line.

I would like to mention the names of all of the staff who contributed to our terrific stay, but I can't remember all of them. I will say that the front desk staff, Jenni, Oliver, and Hanna were exceptional.

I would stay there again any time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated. I will pass them along to all the staff.
Meath
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The staff were very friendly, The location is great and it has free parking. The room was clean. The bed was very comfortable and the shower was very powerful. The pool looked clean and we didn't have breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank janiel
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments we pride ourselves in running a clean, friendly hotel. I will pas your comments along to all the staff.
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a great deal of charm. It does lack in certain areas. Bathrooms are way outdated as is the carpeting, towels, and TV sets. It also seems to be a little lacking in the cleanliness arena. That being said it made up for its shortcomings in the fact it had a great entry area, the beds were super comfortable, it's in a great location, and it had a nice pool and sauna (hot tub too but way outdated). It's also close to everything and has free parking. I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Michael C
Thank you for your comments. We are constantly updating our rooms with larger televisions and more shelves in the bathroom. We get many favorable comments on our charm, location, cleanness and our wonderful mattresses (we sell a number of our pillow top mattresses to guests)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This hotel is older and therefore the amenities are not up to standards we have come to expect: luxurious bathrooms, large rooms, mini-bar, etc. And yes, it is a little down-at-the-heel. But it has its charm, and the smallness of the hotel makes up for its flaws. It doesn't have the anonymous feel of the larger, newer hotels. This place is fraying but charming.

On another note, should you need a recommendation, go straight to Hanna at the front desk. She unfailingly intuited what kind of places I was looking for, and was able to give me excellent recommendations and good back-up plans in a pinch.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your comments and I will pass along your comments to Hanna she is a great people person and we are happy to have someone like her on our front desk.
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is an old hotel - but they should get credit for the updates and still leaving the charm of the original hotel. Staff was very helpful. Location is within walking distance of town. Meals were excellent - except burned roof of mouth on the breakfast potatoes (my fault). This is a place we will return to.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
charlottetown, Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your comments. Sorry about burning your mouth I will have the wait staff give a little bit of a warning to guests about hot food.