“Dated”
Review of Rodd Charlottetown

Rodd Charlottetown
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The outside of this hotel looks very specky but upon entering our room noticed it was very dated and not in an antiquey way but with cracked tiles and old toilet etc. the room was clean enough and was fine for a night but disappointed us as their reputation for an upscale hotel was lost when we entered our room. The location was good as far as being close to the downtown core.
We also had to listen to our neighbours conversation late into the night as the walls obviously were not sound proof!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your comments. Yes our bathrooms are small and with some original fixtures so as to keep the 'look'. We do have flats screen televisions, large min-fridges, coffee perks, iron boards and free high speed internet so as to keep up with the modern travellers needs.
Again thank you.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Spent two nights at this hotel when I visited Charlottetown with my two adult children. We loved being in a location so close to restaurants on Victoria Row and downtown sites. We enjoyed the historic architectural details as well as the comfortable bedding. Price was affordable and our service was friendly and efficient. Parking was a bit difficult, but we managed to get a space in the lot. Would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: Would have enjoyed a room facing the front of the building since our view was uninteresting.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words and yes our location is the best in town if I do say so myself. Again thank you.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I booked my hotel room 6 weeks in advance to guarantee my room. I could not find the appropriate rate type online so I had to call the hotel directly; however, they were helpful and I got a good price for the dates. I received three emails confirming my reservation with the details....VERY NICE TOUCH!!!
Upon arriving, there was no parking available, with only 10 spots in the front, and the rest on street. Took me 40 min to find a parking spot nearby due to events in the downtown, and weddings etc. I was not happy to have to lug suitcases over a block away because of lack of parking. At the checkout, they then told me there was parking behind the hotel, but not well marked (I passed it 4 times without knowing)....however it was full that night for a wedding. Then I was placed in the wrong room, because someone had changed my reservation (still don't know who or why it was changed), but the room was sub par. As the hotel was fully booked that night I had to stay in the room, but they gave me two $10 coupons for the hotel restaurant. I say they should have given me the room for free since I had all the confirmation emails for my booking. But the staff that night were not the friendliest nor did they seem to care. I wasn't going to argue and lose my room completely.

The next day I was moved to my proper room and the accommodations were very satisfactory. The staff the next day were much more receptive and friendly.

The restaurant is quite beautiful, retaining the decor of years gone by, keeping in line with the history. The servers were very professional, friendly and welcoming, and the food was well prepared. The prices were FANTASTIC....please note this for breakfast as many urban hotels charge ridiculous rates for breakfast, while this was very well priced, and I would eat there each morning that I stayed due to the great price, good quality and beautiful ambience and decor. I did not have dinner there, so cannot comment.

Checkout was quick, however, upon review of my bill, I was charged the wrong rate for my room and had to return to get it corrected....again, no explanation why my rate was changed. They did refund my difference courteously.

Overall, I had a very negative start to my stay in this hotel. They need to improve on their communication with guests (especially with the parking), and pay attention to their booking and customer service. Though some of the staff shone like superstars and the cleaning staff were more like family with their warmth, friendliness, and thoroughness. Despite these setbacks and the hotel being haunted, I will be returning next year, knowing more what to expect. It's a beautiful grand hotel from a lost era and that cannot be duplicated by any modern building.

Room Tip: 4th Floor is haunted Best view from the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review. I will address your concerns with our front desk staff so that they make sure they inform all our guests where and how to get to our parking lot behind the hotel. I also appreciate your comments regarding our housekeepers the backbone of the hotel. Again thank you and your points will be addressed with the staff.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hotel is perfectly located for those who wish to explore downtown Charlottetown. Staff was very pleasant. The room was a small but clean and surprisingly quite. Would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to do a review on Trip Advisor much appreciated. Location location location and clean comfortable rooms. Again thanks.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Rented the room for 2 nights. It was what it had expected, that old fashion feeling. Beds are up to date, real comfort. Walking distance to Charlotte down town and water front. Only problem was when we first checked in there wasn't any parking available.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
charlottetown, General Manager at Rodd Charlottetown, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your comments much appreciated.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Hotel was very historic, very clean with a nice restaurant attached. Stayed 2 nights in Aug.. Had an issue the first night as they had put us on the pet floor, we have no pet, and the small dog next door yelped and wined all the time the owners were away from the room, which seemed like a lot.Informed the front desk the next morning and they moved us immediately.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put on the pet floor if possible, usually the first floors.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding us being Pet Friendly we try our best to make sure all rooms are cleaned properly after a pet was in the room. Thanks

Reviewed 11 August 2014

My wife and I just spent 2 nights at this hotel and over all I would consider our experience average.
Check in: Pleasant and fast

Room: We had an executive room booked ( we had previously stayed in a deluxe suite) and this room paled in comparison.

Cleanliness: Upon my first visit to the bathroom I noticed a large ladies black hair under the toilet seat (probably from the maid during cleaning) but disconcerting non the less.

Bed: 1 Queen, comfortable but seemed small?

Staff: Friendly and helpfull.

1  Thank Brian M

Thank you for your comments I will as them along to all the staff. I am also addressing with our quality Assurance Officer to double check all rooms after cleaning. Thanks