“Great! Excellent! Our best place that we stayed in while in PEI!”
Review of The Harbour House

The Harbour House
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Heritage House was a wonderful surprise. (There were 6 of us) Right in the heart of Charlottetown. Close to a lot of attractions. (Well within walking distance) We found the accommodations to be superb, and the staff was above and beyond normal "hotel" staff. They were very friendly and extremely helpful. We had to leave early on our last day to catch the ferry, and to our surprise there was a breakfast to go for all of us. Nice touch. We would recommend this Bed and Breakfast to anyone who is making the trip to PEI.

Grant and Debbie McLaren
Winnipeg MB.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank winnipegbluebomber

Reviewed 18 August 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights during a trip in PEI. The room was pretty average....the decor didn't match very well, but the bed was very comfortable with nice bedding. The bathroom was immaculate. Breakfast staff was nice but not overly so. We drove a few hours after breakfast for sightseeing. I became very very sick to my stomach. We turned around and drove back to the bed and breakfast. My husband let the owner know I was feeling sick to my stomach and that the only thing it could have been was the breakfast. They offered no assistance. We had to go out in an unknown city to try and track down a 24 hour pharmacy. Even if it wasn't their breakfast that got me sick, I would have expected a little more TLC for someone that became ill while staying in their house.
However, the next day, we had to leave early and they were very accomodating and made us a breakfast packed to go by 7am.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
hhhouse, Owner at The Harbour House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2008

Thank you for your review.

However, I am disappointed to hear that your husband did not relay to you the plethora of information we gave him concerning your illness...including:
Giving him directions to the nearest drug store.

Revealing the ingredients of our breakfast dish to see if you were potentially allergic to something.

Showing him where the nearest Walk-in Clinic was located.

We took your sickness very seriously, however, as Innkeepers, and not qualified medics, we can only do so much.

Reviewed 7 August 2008

We loved staying here. It's in a great location. You can walk to almost anywhere in downtown Charlottetown. The rooms were great. We had 2 rooms on the 3rd floor with a full kitchen between them. The breakfast was very good and the staff very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2008

I am sure I stayed in the WORST room in the whole building and arrived in one of my worst moods of a two-week long mother-daughter road trip, yet I LOVED the Heritage Harbour House Inn (kind of a mouthful, that name).

My mom and I arrived on the island in the late afternoon, planning to book a room after checking things out at the PEI visitor center and maybe scoping out the town a bit first too, since we didn't know what to expect. I called the HHHI and was told that for that night, they only had a "compact room in the basement" with two twin beds for $100 or a deluxe suite for something over $200, which was more room than we needed or wanted. The compact basement room did not sound inviting, so we kept looking through our stack of brochures. After the day's drive, the process was turning me into a hot, grumpy, cranky mess. Eventually, my mom just took us there and, after checking things out, booked the basement room. And so began our lovely stay!

I don't know exactly what it was, but there was just something so immediately welcoming about the place. For starters, the stairs going down to the basement were generously proportioned and bright, and then when you got to the bottom, there was this adorable "honor system" "vending machine" (a glass-door fridge with a money box attached to the side) stocked with glass bottles of soda and juice and water-- too cute. Everything was meticulously clean and neat; the beds were comfortable; there was a little dish on the nightstand for putting your watch and jewelery before bed; and the room, though small, was outfitted with plenty of storage shelves and hangers. There was a local paper in the room with lots of information about things to do and see, and a DVD player for the free DVDs that you could "check out" from the lobby cabinet. Breakfast was delicious and served by adorable Japanese girls [note: I'm Asian and sensitive to the perception of Asian women as cute little dolls, but holy moly these girls were cute as buttons!]. The one downside was that we were seated at a large table coming in at the tail end of a big conversation between several groups of guests, so it felt a little awkward-- I'm just not cut out for mingling that early in the morning.

I could go on about the free internet at the lobby computer, or the host who called around Charlottetown to find another room for us when we had to leave in the morning, or the convenient location, or the cute-looking decks that the back rooms had. The bottom line is that I wish we could've stayed longer, even in the basement, and I will absolutely stay here again if I ever get a chance to return.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank mbot
Reviewed 13 July 2008

We just returned home from a Nova Scotia/PEI vacation. We spent three nights at Harbour Heritage House. We can only echo all the other reviews--charm, location, service--all super! Much attention is given to dietary restrictions; they made sure that there were gluten-free options available. They even keep gluten-free bread in their freezer! Mike was at the desk, and welcomed us like royalty! He made us feel very welcome, and we noticed, he did that to everyone who stayed there. We'd go back in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank Slicker08
hhhouse, Owner at The Harbour House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2008

Thank you so much for your kind words! The gluten free bread, and "royalty," service will be waiting for you whenever you decide to come back!

Cheers
Mike

Reviewed 8 October 2007

We (2 adults, 4 children ages 19, 15, 10 and 7) stayed here August 17-20, 2007. This bed and breakfast was the highlight of our trip to the Maritimes. They couldn't accommodate all 6 of us in one suite, so we split up into 2 rooms. This was a little pricey, but we enjoyed our stay nonetheless.

The whole place is clean and bright and tastefully decorated. The owners are very friendly and helpful. The staff are very polite.

Room #15 is a basement suite. It was nice, but no natural light.

Room #11 is fantastic. King size bed with a pull-out sofa. Kitchenette. Balcony. This is an excellent suite.

The breakfast was amazing. Nice selection of the usual continental-style items, but also a hot entree. While we were there, we enjoyed ham and scrambled eggs and salmon quiche.

The location is terrific - in a quiet residential area, but only 3 blocks from downtown and a 5-10 minute walk to the waterfront.

After we had left, my son discovered he had forgotten his iPod charger. We emailed them and they found it and mailed it to us at no charge! Excellent service.

Highly recommend this B&B. Book well in advance!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank KVKV
Reviewed 30 August 2007

My husband and I stayed here during our two week vacation in the Maritimes. I was so disappointed that we only stayed here for 2 days!

The rooms were so clean, as well as the common areas. There were places to make coffee and sit down, as well as a computer to use. These common areas seem to close a little early (10pm.) So we were not able to check email during late hours, regardless, that did not spoil our experience in the slightest.

The hosts were absolutely terrific! Not to mention the cute Japanese staff that served breakfast!! Oh! The breakfast was to die for! We had a souflé for our first day, and a quiche on the last day. Both were incredibly well prepared and delicious!

One thing I would agree with the previous reviewers would be the stairs. We were on the 2nd floor, and had no problem, but lack of elevator may be a problem for some.

We will definitely come again! Thank you guys!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business