“Best B&B in Charlottetown”
Review of The Harbour House

The Harbour House
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed 16 August 2010

We strongly recommend for anyone traveling to Charlottetown to stay in this B&B. We had a very pleasent experience there. After finishing a week-long cycling tour, my spouse and I stayed at this B&B for one night - too short a night though! We picked the smallest room as we were on budget althought their small room is just a regular room at a chain-hotel. It was very cozy, clean, fresh, although the pillows could be a bit softer, but that's not a bit deal. THe breakfast had lots of choices of baked goods, juices, etc. They have a large assortment of dvds to watch for free, you can have some tea in the sun room. Very nice! A place to come back!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
hhhouse, Owner at The Harbour House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2010

Thanks for your positive review! Thanks for mentioning the comfort and space of one of our "smallest," rooms! Thanks for mentioning the yummy breakfast, and our DVD library where guests can borrow movies on a rainy day!

I hope your bike trip around PEI was a memorable one! Please come back again!

Heritage Harbour House

Reviewed 16 August 2010

It is a rare occasion that I take the time to comment on the accommodations of my travels. Yet, I have to express my experience of this B&B.
And normally I like to be gracious about my reviews. Yet, i may not be able to be here. So if you like staying in a house with Sauna like heat, this will please you. It was so hot in the halls and sitting rooms, outside was the best place to relax. Also, on my arrival I informed the reception that friends would be phoning and leaving a message for me. That day while I was having breakfast in the next room, the phone rang (we could here if from our table). Later when I asked about messages for me, their response was ..no! So you can imagine my surprise hours later when I spoke with my friends wondering why I had not returned their call. The service I received from Heritage House and their ability in accommodating their guests was unacceptable.!!!!!! So I have to say, with the incredible heat (sauna like), the service received (after making the point of informing them). Oh and lets not forget the child next door who screamed all night. My advice is go down the street to #1 Grafton and you truly will enjoy your stay in Charlottetown. Plus is was outrageously expense for what was received.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank 8dreamboat

Thanks for your review! We're so sorry that we were not able to make your stay here at Heritage Harbour House a positive one. I would like to explain a few things to perhaps shed some light on a few complaints you had, concerning our establishment.

1. I'm not sure if it was a particular day in the summer where the weather was hotter than usual, but we have never received complaints that the hallways and sitting rooms are hot, as they are well ventilated. The only room that gets warm during times of heat would be the dining room, which you didn't mention...strange.

2. You complain that you did not receive a message from your acquaintance while staying here, despite hearing the phone from the dining room. I personally tend to all phone calls, and can tell you honestly, no message was ever left for you. Did it not occur to you, perhaps, that our phone rings for reasons other than your friend leaving messages? We receive so many phone calls every day, mostly from potential customers inquiring about rooms. No one left a message for you. Period. Had a message arrived for you, I would have been more than happy to deliver it to your room.

3. You complain about a child crying all night long. This is a valid complaint, however, I did not hear about this until the time of your tripadvisor review. Why not bring up the issue with the front desk immediately so that we can tackle the situation together, rather than remain quiet. We can not help those who do not request help.

4. You complain that our inn was "outrageously expensive for what was received," yet you compliment #1 Grafton St. Number One Grafton Street Heritage B&B is a beautiful house with very friendly hosts, but they have smaller rooms that have no air conditioning (meaning you would have been just as hot,) and prices that are far more expensive than our rates. Your advise makes no sense.

Regardless, I am very sorry that your stay here ended up to be a negative one. Though, it is impossible to rectify any errors if management doesn't know about it. In the future, please do not punish family businesses because of imaginary messages from friends that never reach you.

I have noticed from your profile that you have not written a review for Number One Grafton St yet. I urge you to write one to explain to all TripAdvisor members how they managed to make your stay on PEI a positive one.

Innkeeper/Owner
Heritage Harbour House Inn.

Reviewed 3 August 2010

We stayed in Canada for 15 days and travelled arround in Novia Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island. In Charlottetown we stayed 3 nights. Teh Heritage Harbour House Inn was the best stay we had all over our journey. The place is cozy, peaple are very friendly an the service is very good.

When you stay in Charlottetown stay in Heritag Harbour House Inn.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
hhhouse, Owner at The Harbour House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2010

Thanks for the great review! Thanks for mentioning the cozy environment and friendly people! I hope we managed to create a memorable experience during your visit to PEI!

Please come back again!!

Owner
Heritage Harbour House.

Reviewed 31 July 2010

Very helpful gentleman at reception who went to a lot of trouble to sort out a tour for us. The breakfast was good and complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits were available all day. This was a much larger B&B than others we had stayed at so it was less personal but still very quiet and in a quiet locale. Bedrooms and bathrooms were perfectly adequate although my sister's shower room would have been very small for two people. We liked the quiet location and free internet access. Wish staff had been cheerier and bathroom floor had been clean(then it would have been excellent!)

• Stayed: July 2010

Thanks for your review! I am surprised to hear that your bathroom floor was dirty for the two nights that you stayed with us. I am very sorry that this occurred while you were staying here, and I wished I heard about it while you were here so that I could have rectify it immediately. We typically have very high standards when it comes to cleaning! Having a dirty floor for two straight days is unacceptable in our eyes, and I hope you accept our sincerest apologies.

Thank you for mentioning the quiet location! Yes, we are only two blocks from the city centre, but it's still very quiet where we are located!

I hope you make your way to PEI again! I hope your stay with us turned out to be a positive one in the end!

Owner
Heritage Harbour House.

Reviewed 26 July 2010

Like several other reviewers of the extra-special establishment, neither my wife nor I have ever chosen a bed and breakfast in which to stay when we can select a major motel chain room in its stead. On the other hand, we always put a great deal of stress on Trip Advisor recommendations and so, on our recent trip to Prince Edward Island, we opted to stay at the Heritage Harbour House. We could not have been more pleased that we did.

Everything about the HHH speaks of the owners' careful attention to detail. The extra-large rooms are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. Though counter space in the bathroom could be slightly larger, the tub may be the largest and most comfortable of any we have found anywhere in Canada or the United States. Registration and checkout were both flawless and the young front-desk host was endlessly cheerful. Parking behind the building was tight but undeniably adequate. Breakfasts with their fresh, home-cooked foods were wonderful. Personally we would have been happier to have that period begin before 8:00 -- such a late start held us up on both days that we stayed at the HHH -- but we realize why that decision was made and understand it.

Others have pointed out how easy it is to walk a few blocks to downtown Charlottetown from the HHH. Indeed, the Confederation Centre for the Arts for those wishing to take in a play is only three blocks away on Grafton Street and the harbor or the large Victoria Park are not much further in the other direction.

The Heritage Harbour House may not be perfect but any rating of less than 5 stars would be unjust. We loved our brief stay at this special bed and breakfast and would be more than willing to take a bet that everyone else who is lucky enough to book a room will agree.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review!

I wanted to thank you for pointing out the large comfortable rooms, and the bathtubs! Yes, the Standard Rooms, and suites with 4pc baths have really big bathtubs! We're glad you enjoyed them.

Thank you for mentioning the breakfast. Yes, most everything is home made, and the decision to have breakfast at 8:00am is due to logistics. However, we do offer a "breakfast to go," for early risers! We really appreciate that you understood the reasoning behind a "later," breakfast.

Thanks for mentioning the location! Yes, we are indeed close to all the shops and restaurants here in downtown Charlottetown! We're glad you enjoyed the convenience!

I hope your stay in PEI was a memorable one, and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Come back anytime!

Mike van der Gaag
Owner (and the "endlessly cheerful," young front desk host!)
Heritage Harbour House Inn.

Reviewed 25 July 2010

I usually consult reviews on trip advisor before booking hotels, and I selected Heritage Harbour Inn based on the great reviews I read. When I got there, I understood why this B&B has such great reviews. Location wise, Heritage Harbour is walking distance from any attraction in city center. The place is beautiful and we were warmly welcomed on our arrival by the friendly staff. I particularly enjoyed the group breakfasts where guests get to know each other and share experiences. I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2010
hhhouse, Owner at The Harbour House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

Thanks for the great review!

I wanted to take the time to thank you for mentioning the location. Yes, we live in such a perfect location for anyone who wants to stay in Charlottetown. Our location is only two blocks (5 mins by foot,) to the city centre, for all your shopping, and show needs!

Thanks for mentioning the warm staff! I wanted to let you know that you were checked in and welcomed by an owner of Heritage Harbour House, as we do not hire front desk staff. The front desk is always manned by one of the three owners here! (Most of the time, it's yours truly! ;) )

I hope you had a wonderful time at breakfast! We are always happy to hear the jolly bustling of guests telling other guests about their adventure on Prince Edward Island. I hope you created a lot of lasting memories while you were here!

Please come visit us again, we anxiously await your return!

Heritage Harbour House Inn

Reviewed 22 July 2010

Mike is a phenomenal host attending to every detail (including our flat tires) The Inn is wonderfully appointed and an absolute delight. It is walking distance to everything worth seeing in Charlottetown.

The breakfast spread is very nice although the menu could be a bit more imaginative

We will stay here again next time we're in town.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple