“Very Nice Hotel”

The Hotel on Pownal
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Hotel on Pownal (pronounced PAWN-L) is structured with the convenience of a motel where you can drive right up to your room, but is much higher end than your typical motel. There is no pool or fitness room. The staff are friendly and helpful.

The rooms are very clean. If you forgo room service for a day, they offer a coupon that takes $10 off a meal at 10 different restaurants. I thought these were probably restaurants far outside of town, or ones I would never consider eating at, but I was wrong. They are high quality restaurants, many of them in the downtown core within walking distance of the hotel.

Rooms come with a free breakfast. The breakfast is typical hotel fare with one hot item a day (pancakes or waffles on the 2 days we were there). My only complaint was that they were slow to fill up on items they ran out of. We were told they offer free cookies after 3:00 p.m. but were never there to taste them.

The place had to be fully booked when we were there, judging by how full the parking lot was (the hotel has free parking) but it was as quiet as a church both nights.

The location is one block off the main street, so very conevnient to all the downtown attractions, but quieter than perhaps the hotels directly downtown.

Room Tip: Choose room 140 as it is in the back and a large room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
ksamuel, Manager at The Hotel on Pownal, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you for your review and your recent stay with us.

Our location is certainly very convenient. As you have mentioned, the Hotel is just one street over from the busier part of Downtown.

I am glad you were able to take advantage of our, "Greener is Cleaner" program. Receiving a $10 coupon for foregoing Housekeeping services certainly is a sweet deal both for the environment and our guests alike.

Though the Hotel does not have a pool, we do offer a Fitness Room for our guests to workout in. It has two treadmills, an elliptical machine, mats, gym balls, and free weights.

Thank you again and I look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

This was our second stay at the hotel and it was every bit as good as the first :
Great location in the heart of the city
Great breakfast hot and cold ,lots of choices
Fast Check-in / rooms were all ready when we arrived
Have all day Coffee and Cookies
Great Price

Room Tip: If you want a balcony room ask for availability.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for leaving your feedback in regards to your stay with us on this site.

I appreciate your repeat visit with us and am glad that you continue to enjoy all the services and amenities that the Hotel on Pownal has to offer.

I appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We recently stayed at The Hotel on Pownal from June 30th till Aug 1st and it was an overall good experience, even though my reservation wasn't booked right. My rating doesn't reflect this mishap since it could have been miscommunication on both of our parts, although I live by my schedule book, which was in hand when I made the reservation. That being said, the gentleman on the phone was very professional and polite when I called to confirm my reservation and realized the error. He thankfully didn't charge me for the room since I wouldn't be able to check in until the following day.

We arrived at the hotel a couple of hours before check in, and unfortunately our room wasn't ready at that time, which is no fault of the hotel since we were so early. The employee at the counter took down our number and said that she would call us if the cleaners were done before the 3:00 check in. We then ventured down to a local restaurant to have a bite and within 30-40 mins we received a phone call telling us our room was ready.

Once we arrived in the room the only real issues that I had with the hotel was the fact that the room was not equipped with a bar fridge and it had a little bit of an odd smell to it. Nothing that would hinder the stay, but there was definitely something lingering in the air. Also, the breakfast that is provided in the morning was lacking to say the least. We ate there the second morning simply because it was included with the room and we figured we might as well fill up there instead of eating out. Having said all of that, the service was excellent, the king size bed was comfy and you simply can't beat the location. Would definitely stay there again considering a lot of the hotels are grossly overpriced in the city and don't offer much more than what the Pownal does for the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I appreciate you taking the time to review the Hotel on Pownal on this site.

I am glad that a mix-up in regards to your reservation was handled quickly by our staff and that we were able to contact you as soon as your room was ready to accommodate your early arrival.

To add to our guests' experience, you will be happy to learn that the Hotel has an implementation plan in place to have bar fridges installed in most of our guest rooms. This will allow you to keep all your items cool until you are ready to enjoy them in the privacy of your own room.

The Hotel has an inclusive Deluxe Continental Breakfast and I would welcome any suggestions you might have to improve on our current offering.

Thanks again for your review and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Located in a quiet residential neighborhood, but only one block away from the main street in Charlottetown, this is an ideal location to see the town, but not be swept up in its noise or congestion. Not the cheapest place, but then again, nothing is cheap in downtown. A few other 'pros:'
1. Big room
2. Comfy bed
3. Breakfast was OK - mostly rolls, breads, plus juice & coffee, although they did have some great fresh strawberries and blueberries
4. Excellent front desk staff - always trying to be helpful and friendly
A few 'cons,' which some seem to be design flaws in room design:
1. AC unit right in the wall above the bed, blows cold air right down on you, and it's a wind machine - noisy. Should have been mounted on another wall.
2. Limited counterspace in bathroom - only room for 1 person's toiletries
3. Noise of others taking showers, talking, walking around floor above is disconcerting
4. Mini fridge, while a nice feature, was making 'poping' sounds all throughout stay, usually once an hr or so.
5. Internet fast, but you get disconnected if you don't use it, and it's a pain to re-connect

All in all, a good place to stay if you don't mind the steep in-town pricing and the above noted 'design flaws.

1  Thank NH_Joe

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on this site in regards to your stay with us.

The Hotel certainly is a quiet place just minutes away from the busy Downtown Core. Reading through your list of pros and cons, I am glad to see that your stay with us was a positive experience.

Thank you again and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Hotel looks newly renovated, the rooms are clean. The Hotel is in a great location. But .... We did not sleep well as the in room a/c unit was just too loud. If you are there on a cold night than I imagine this should not cause a problem.
The breakfast was pretty standard, nothing to get too excited about.
Other than location not good value for the money.

1  Thank RunninAllOver
ksamuel, Manager at The Hotel on Pownal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on this site.

I am glad you enjoyed our location and cleanliness of our rooms, however, I apologize that you found the air-conditioning unit in your room noisy and the breakfast mediocre.

As we strive towards constant improvement on our Continental Breakfast offerings, I would welcome any suggestions you might have on making our breakfast menu the best it can be.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My 2 girlfriend and I stayed at the Hotel on Pownal this weekend. All I can say is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! I have never stayed in a hotel that went so far out of their way to cater to their clients. The room was gorgeous. The breakfast was lovely. The service was outstanding. Jason at the front desk is an absolute doll. We checked in and within 5 mins of getting into our room we received a call asking if our room was satisfactory. It was glorious! We called down for extra towels...it was not 10 mins and there were at our door. This hotel is within walking distance to anything you would want to see in Charlottetown...I'd recommend the Hotel on Pownal to ANYONE....I won't stay anywhere else in Charlottetown. Next Year my lovies!

Room Tip: Make sure to take advantage of the complimentary breakfast...the fresh fruit, fresh baked good, teas...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay at the Hotel on Pownal.

So nice to read that your stay with us and your entire trip to the Island was such a success. Thank you for your many kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in 2015.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

On a two week Atlantic provinces vacation with my wife and two boys and would rank The Hotel on Pownal among the top two or three spots we've stayed. The staff were amazingly attentive and helpful. The rooms were excellent, clean and comfortable. The all included light snacks in our rooms and free light breakfast was an excellent touch. The only small detraction from the overall experience was the in room air conditioning was loud and a little tricky to figure out. All in all an excellent stay and we'd definitely return again! 4.5 - 5 stars!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hockey Dad N
ksamuel, Manager at The Hotel on Pownal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your Hotel on Pownal experience with other travelers.

I am glad that the Hotel on Pownal was one of your family's favourite Hotels during your trip through Atlantic Canada. Having great staff members in both Housekeeping and the Front Line certainly helps us create positive lasting experiences.

I look forward to your next visit to PEI and thanks again for contributing comments on this site.