“Do Not Stay Here!!”

Ranked #17 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Do Not Stay Here!!”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Barbecue rusted out, there were still pieces of food left from previous visitors. Besides being dated and dirty the cupboards looked like they were about to fall off of the wall. The electrical panels were open and dangerous! The heaters were falling off the wall. Upon opening up the room we were greeted by loads of house flies. Spare blankets were dirty and covered in brown spots. Would have gone elsewhere, but it was the only place available in Charlottetown (now we know why). Definitely over priced for what you get. Do not stay here!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank bradyjc103
Chris D, Owner at Royalty Maples Cottages and Motel, responded to this review, 18 June 2015
Thank you for your review. I am sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. I can assure you everything you mention has been addressed and our units are now all new and fully renovated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just spent 5 nights at Royalty Maple Cottages. Our cottage was the one closest to the main house. Cottage was clean, well equipped and large enough for the four of us to not be stepping on each other. Our request for additional towels was resolved immediately and the staff and owner were all friendly and accommodating.

Loved having our own cottage. Noise was not an issue (posted rules saw to that!). Especially loved how close it was to the grocery stores and to the highway.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, or recommend it to friends. Next time, I'll know that we can bring our dog. He would have loved the large property and the canine friends.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
8 Thank Michele S
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed in one of the 1 bedroom cottages for a week with my mother. It may not be the biggest or the fanciest place, but the service was excellent (speedy and always with a smile!) and we had no issues whatsoever. Rooms were clean, plenty of facecloths and towels in the bathrooms, dishes, cutlery, and all necessary cooking supplies provided, wifi (which worked much better than I expected!) a TV with cable, air conditioning, and 3 beds including the pull out couch, what more do you need! The grounds are huge and well kept, and the location can't be beat being right across the st from a grocery store, banks and restaurants, and only a 15 minute drive to downtown! Will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Sabrina B
Woodstock, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2013

As a guest of the Maples motel and cottages for the past 5yrs ( and booked for next year ) I an somewhat baffled by some of the negative comments.I FIND IT A GREAT PLACE TO STAY. The housekeeping staff and the owner do an outstanding job and are more than helpful with any questions or need should some arise. You have pots and pans and dishes in your room should you not feel like eating out, and a grocery store across the street to boot. I like the fact that all the amenities are so close as is the airport and the highway comming in or out. Charolettetown has alot to offer as does the intire Island and I personally enjoy my stay at the maples. With the clean, quiet and homelike atmosphere that comes second to none tell,s me that I will be returning for many years to come. TIM G STRINGLE WOODSTOCK ONT.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank tim s
RoyaltyMaples, Owner at Royalty Maples Cottages and Motel, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
After a long few years off the same old rooms & cottages we are finally tackling the inside of Every Single Cottage and Motel Unit! We have listened to all your comments, complaints and suggestions hope to eliminate the majority of issues.

This spring you can look forward to freshly renovated property at the same great rates as previous years!

-All new flooring - No carpet
-New Bathrooms in the remaining 9 units that haven't been updated yet
-New kitchen countertops & backsplashes
-Removing wood panelling replacing with fresh gyproc and paint
-Some furniture updates
-Re insulating and sound proofing Motel Units to ensure a quiet sleeping environment
-Pocket doors in units/areas that lack space
-Replacing old noisy air conditioners
-All flat panel LED wall mounted televisions
-And More!
Eastern Passage, Canada
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Yes, it's not the most updated (70s-80s era) and luxurious place to stay but if you're simply looking for somewhere clean, economical and close to the city to stay, this is definitely an option. They have 1 and 2 bedroom cottages and even their motel rooms have a pull-out couch and kitchenette.

We were going to see a show with some friends whom we love but didn't want to share a bedroom with so we opted for the 2 bedroom cottages. 2 days before our arrival, we were notified that a construction crew was extending their stay and the cottage wasn't available to we were offered 2 motel rooms for the same price. It was a small savings from the full price it would have been but the manager (Chris?), notified us as soon as possible and we were more than happy to have our own spaces.

It looks like the owners limit their time physically in the office but I was able to get it contact with someone whenever I needed them. When we arrived to chec-in at 2:30pm, there was a note on the door to say they would be back and to call a # for immediate assistance which I did call. Chris arrived within 1-2 minutes of the call.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lallie11
Moose Jaw
Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here based on others good reviews. When we got there we had great service but when we walked into the room it was terrible. It smelt like shellfish, it's very old furniture, the screen door was all ripped, the ceiling fan was caked I'm sure with an inch of dust. We didn't want to turn it on to blow it all over. The bathroom towels were stained and had holes in them. The bed and sheets were clean but the bed was very hard and uncomfortable. It's pet friendly which is great but the walls aren't sound proof so we heard the dog bark all night. We checked out at 9 and the office was locked, office hours are 8 till 10. When I used the outside phone to call someone from the hotel, I had to call twice before someone answered. I ended up leaving the key in their mail box. This place has the potential to be a great place but until then I would spend the extra $ and stay else where. I would never go back.

Stayed August 2013
6 Thank Kristi D

Travellers are raving about these Charlottetown hotels

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Made a reservation online through the PEI tourism site but had to cancel due to unforseen circumstances so called on a Sunday to cancel. All I got was the answering machine so decided since it was a sunday not a big deal, everyone deserves a day of rest. Called on Monday morning and got the same answering machine so left my name and number with a message to call me back. No call back so called again on Monday evening and was able to speak to a person but they informed me that they were not in the office at the moment so I gave him my information and he said as soon as he gets back to the office he will cancel my reservation and send me an email with the cancellation number. Still nothing by Wednesday so I sent an email to confirm the reservation was cancelled. It is now Friday evening and still no email or phone call to let me know that they have cancelled my reservation so I tried calling again and got the answering service but this time the message was that the message box was full so couldn't leave a message. Very frustrating, definately not the way to run a business. Would never recommend this place.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple