“Surprisingly fabulous!”

Splendid Essence
Ranked #40 of 257 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Cuisines: Chinese, Taiwanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Splendid Essence is a congregation of all kinds of beauty and splendor inside an exquisite cottage.The restaurant on the first floor offers trendy and gourmet vegetable dishes and an assortment of Chinese teas and beverages in a cozy and congenial atmosphere. The bright and delightful space on the second floor offers facinating classes, lectures and exhibitions to enrich your life.The third floor is an elegant Buddhist praying hall.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

After a month of traveling in the Maritimes and having our fill of seafood at least once a day, we were both missing vegetables! So we decided to try out Splendid Essence and are very glad we did.

Although very unpretentious from the outside, the waitress was knowledgeable and friendly. We later learned that she had only been working at the restaurant for 3 weeks but she was what sold us on staying to eat.

I don't care for soy products for various reasons and the menu is mostly soy so we asked them to prepare one of the dishes without the soy bits and that worked. It was a fabulous bean vermicelli noodle dish with mushrooms that was perfectly spiced and delicious.

We also had a baby bok choy dish with mushrooms that was amazing. The bok choy was so tender and sweet - it was the best I have ever eaten. The restaurant is not licensed for alcohol so we had a ginseng tea that was ideally suited to the meal.

Service was excellent and the portions were large, as you will see throughout most of the Maritimes. We only ordered two dishes for us and we had a hard time finishing. The bill for everything was $18.50 plus tax and tip. That is phenomenal in a province where spending $60 for dinner is normal.

Loved it and would definitely be a regular if I lived in the city. We were staying at the far end of Grafton near Victoria Park and we were able to walk to the restaurant in about 15 minutes. Easy to find but it is closed on Sundays and it closes at 8:30 on the other nights. We also called ahead and the first night we were in town, they were closed for a private party so probably best to call ahead and check on things for the evening.

2  Thank Jan J

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Got sick of lobster everyday and missed chinese food. So we went here as a family. We were surprised that the food tasted good. Probably spoiled since there are too many chinese restaurants in markham (Toronto, Ontario, Canada). We would definitely come back if given a chance.

Note:
you have to pay for parking (street)

Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is very quaint. The service was excellent. The food was fantastic as this is a vegetarian delight. The dishes that I had chosen were well presented with the upmost care in serving. The vegetables were cooked just right for my taste not soft nor too crunchy. The portion sizes for what you pay is well worth the trip. The sushi was what I would say in my opinion fantastic not salty as others I have had in past, truly palatable. I would recommend that if you are looking for vegetarian cuisine give this restaurant a try. I certainly would return given the opportunity.

1  Thank Ruston63
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Sting in PEI For a conference and if you get tired of the typical food this is a great place to visit. Service is exceptional and they really go out of their way to ensure that you have enjoyed your meal. I am on a low carb diet and there was a great selection of dishes to choose from.

1  Thank budsybaby
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Really nice veggie restaurant. Doesn't even feel like you're eating vegetarian for people like myself who love their meat! Nice, serene environment. Amazing drinks, try the oolong milk tea.

2  Thank moosab1