“great style” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Charlottetown
Canada
“great style”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

High quality contemporary styling make for a very refined look.The island suite has an excellent layout and has everything you need for a short stay.Exceptionally clean and well maintained.There is a restaurant on the main floor that makes hotel dining a real treat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank 57chef
Jay N, Supervisor at The Holman Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
It was a delight to read your review, thank you so much for posting it. We are pleased that you enjoyed both the accommodations and dinning. I'm glad that the modern decor caught your attention. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review and we hope to see you back at The Holman Grand in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

Stayed here for two nights in January. The room was well appointed with a very comfortable bed, great shower and hardwood floors. I appreciated the energy-efficient features including an automatic nightlight. Enjoyed two meals in the restaurant as well- definitely a couple of notches above a typical hotel restaurant. Would happily stay (and dine) at the HG again for work or leisure. Great location in the city-centre.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. I am glad that you enjoyed the room and its energy-efficient features. We take a lot of pride here in trying to keep as green as a hotel we can. I am also happy that you were able to try our in-house restaurant. We truly feel that the Red Water Rustic Grille is a step above your typical hotel dining establishment. Thank-you again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to happily welcoming you back.
Milnthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for a night in January after a work party. Check-in was lovely and the room was nicely appointed with Aveda products, small fridge, a Keurig-disappointed that there was no bath, but recovered. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, but we did run into a few issues. Firstly, when we arrived back at the hotel, thinking we'd grab a drink at the Red Water Rustic Grille before heading up to our room, we were very disappointed to find it was closed-at 11:10pm on a Friday night. There was no one at the desk, so we thought we'd go up to our room and try to order a bottle of wine from room service. No luck there either. And the bed, while comfortable, wasn't enough to ensure a good night's sleep as the heating system was very loud and wouldn't even stop when turned off at the wall-it was like sleeping in a tunnel near the airport as in addition to the noisy fan, the light on the smoke alarm/sprinkler flashed all night long. Given the time we didn't address this that night, but we did upon check out. We got a "Oh really? How strange. We'll look into it." In the morning, we tried ringing to have some more coffee sent up-in fact we tried for 45 minutes, to have it ring busy the whole time. In the end, my husband went down to the front desk (on his way to work) and asked them to send some up which they did. :) I did not have to work so thought a leisurely breakfast in bed would be lovely, so I rang down at 9:40am (thinking I had lots of time)...but again, busy signal! I finally got through at 10:04am to be told they stopped breakfast at 10am. Needless to say, I wasn't too pleased. So in a nutshell, the room was nice but there are still a few bugs that I thought would be worked out by now. Underwhelmed and a bit disappointed by our staycation.

Room Tip: The higher you are, the better the view-ask for a room facing the water.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Denman-Wood
Thank-you very much for leaving us some comments in regards to your stay. We are very happy that you choose to stay at the Holman Grand. We are, however, very disappointed that your staycation was not as ideal as it should have been. We sincerely apologize for the troubles you had with the restaurant. We have discussed these issues with their management and they will certainly be addressed. I am glad to hear that you thought the room was nice and should you stay with us again the noise from the air can be completely shut of to your room with a call to the front desk. Thanks again for leaving us a review and we hope to get a chance in the future to really impress you.
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014 via mobile

I booked a night at the Holman to get a little time to myself. I wasn't dissappointed! Having booked the romance package, I was greeted by chocolates and wine. The package included a dining credit as well. I had a lovely meal in the seemingly popular hotel restaurant.

The room was modern and fresh. There was no carpet and crisp white linens. I also enjoyed the pool and spa. Though small, they were well appointed, clean, and modern.

One of the best features of my room was the view. I was on a high floor and I could see straight out the harbour. Gorgeous.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel equally for a quick getaway or if I had business in Charlottetown.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Nick and Michael, Thank you so very much for writing about your stay with us. Its great to hear some feedback in regards to the romance package. We are very happy to offer this service and I'm extremely happy to read that you enjoyed it. An extra thank-you for posting the pictures and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Charlottetown, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at this location just before the Christmas Holiday in December 2013. We booked an "ISLAND SUITE" for 2 nights. The website shows a nicely laid out room with a fireplace. When we checked in, everything looked fine but there was no fireplace as it showed on the website. I called the front desk and a nice young lady came up to check our complaint. I brought up the website showing the room on my computer and showed it to her. There was no doubt in my my mind that I suite I booked online was going to have a fireplace. She informed me that not all "ISLAND SUITES" have fireplaces, only the ones located on the 8th and 9th floors but this is not indicated on the website. She arranged for a room change at no extra charge and even helped us move. She also indicated that this issue has been a complaint made by many other guests in the past but it has yet to be addressed by management. I didn't catch her name but I have no issue with the customer service she provided. After the hassle of moving, the fireplace was just a "FAUX FLAME" and didn't provide any heat. If they normally charge more for the fireplace it's totally not worth any extra dollars.

The hotel is brand new and the room itself was very modern with nice hardwood floors and large bathroom. They could use boot mats in the rooms so wet footwear can dry off without leaving a wet spot on the floor. The rooms could also use some more decor. We had issues trying to regulate the temperature in the room. It seemed like being in the middle of a war between "HOT & COLD". I would set the temperature and soon as it got close to that number, cold air would blow in to keep the temperature from rising above the desired setting. The climate system was always battling making it very difficult to settle on a comfortable setting. I found this very disappointing for a brand new hotel. The bed was very comfortable, no issues with getting a good sleep on the bed.

We checked out the pool, it's in the basement on the same floor as the lower level of the mall. It looked nice, we didn't have time to use it. The hotel has 9 floors, the only vending machine is on the 8th floor and if I remember correctly, there are only 2 ice machines for all 9 floors. The view was probably great as our room was facing the harbor. The weather was not cooperating as there was a snowstorm during our stay obstructing the view which is clearly not the fault of the accommodation. It's a great spot if you want to be in the downtown and go for a nice dinner or a few drinks without worrying about getting a ride. It's a short walk from a few great restaurants and pubs.

Overall I feel the location has plenty of room to improve. The room had 2 bottles of wine on the counter for $25 a bottle, but no wine glasses. At $210 a night, I don't think I should have to work so hard at being comfortable. I can get a room anywhere for under $100 if I want to battle it out with the climate controls and get a months worth of exercise to get a Pepsi or a bucket of ice. If you book a room at this accommodation you won't disappointed with the quality of the room, it will be the little things that Grand Holman seems to miss out on, and it will make you wonder what you were paying over $200 a night for.

Room Tip: Get something above the 5th floor facing the harbor if you want a good view of the city.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CommanderRyker
Jay N, Supervisor at The Holman Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you so much for leaving us a review about your December stay with us. We are disappointed that your stay fell short of expectations. As a newer property we very much appreciate and value guest observations and opinions, such comments are helpful as we plan upgrades going forward. Please be assured we in no way are interested in misleading our valuable clients, after reviewing the web site we have made a revision to our description of the Island Suites to clarify fireplaces are in the 8th and 9th floor rooms only. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that in the future you will give us a chance to change your mind.
HFX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for two nights and it really is a beautiful hotel. We stayed in the Harbour Lights suites which is a one bedroom. Very large, great bathroom with two person spa tub. Large living room and eating area and great views from every window. Only 2 of these suite types in the building on 9th and 8th floor. We were on the 9th. Pool was great with an OK work out room with some free weights and cycle, and a couple treadmills. We did not try the restaurant but it was very nice and we heard great things about it.
Without a doubt the best hotel in Charlottetown.
The staff were very friendly and helpful all throughout the weekend.

Room Tip: corner unit on 9th floor, room 911 was very nice, on bedroom suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jay N, Supervisor at The Holman Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
We are delighted to hear that you had such a great stay in one of our Harbour Light suites. Thank you so very much for sharing your experience at The Holman Grand. It is great to read that you were able to enjoy the pool and were well taken care of by our staff. I can't help but agree with you about being the best hotel in town, we truly believe it and will work hard to remain that way. Thanks again for leaving such a wonderful comment and we hope to host you again.
Enderby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

My new wife and I came from the west coast of Canada to my brothers wedding and spent three wonderful nights in the Holman Grand. I had been to Charlottetown before but did not know anything about the hotel. I booked online and of course it can always be uncertain what you are getting by the pictures. I found it an easy and enjoyable process and the communication from the hotel was great. Of all the hotels we stayed in on our two week trip this was our favorite. Part of that was location too. We enjoyed evening strolls on the sidewalks and to parks and through the small shops around. Thankyou Holman! We will be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a superb view of harbor
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jay N, Supervisor at The Holman Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Jamie, thank you very much for leaving us a review of your stay. We are glad that the hotel met your expectations and that you were able to enjoy your brother's wedding. It is wonderful to hear that the communication with hotel was great and that you were able to see some of the local sights. Its delightful to read that you will be staying with us next time you visit Charlottetown. Thanks again for the review and have a Grand day!