“Hospitality abounds!”

Ranked #3 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Morris, Mb.
“Hospitality abounds!”
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Colonial Charm Inn. Shelley and Reg were wonderful hosts, extremely hospitable and helpful with dinner reservations and travel information. We stayed in the Foster Suite. It was very comfortable but a little noisy as it is right on the street side. The breakfasts were very delicious. The location is superb as you can walk downtown and also go for a walk in the park only a few steps away.

Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I stay at B&Bs on all our trips and always love them. This was our first experience where we said "never again." Sure, due to finances we had to book the cheapest room. But this room (called the cozy room) was so tiny it was uncomfortable. The bathroom even tinier.

While we could have coped with this, it was the run down shabby appearance of the bed and bathroom which were the turn off. Peeling wallpaper, a toilet seat that was barely on, threadbare (and I mean threadbare!) towels, and fussy decorating. I love antiques, but the room was just not attractive.

Shelley and her brother were ok, but there was something about Shelley that just rubbed us the wrong way. We couldn't put our finger on it and I guess it was just us.

Breakfast was good, coffee good. As for the location, yes its in walking distance to downtown. But the neighboring houses were run down and the street was heavily travelled. All in all we found the experience to be a big disappointment.

Please don't think I'm one of those "crabby" or "picky" reviewers. If you look at my other reviews you will see this is the first time we did not give a good or excellent review of a place we stayed.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the "cozy room."
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ColonialCharm, Owner at Colonial Charm Inn, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
First I would like to say I was completely surprised to read this review and I wasn't sure how to respond. Yes the Cozy Queen is our smallest room in our 8 room bed and breakfast as the website clearly states as well as the confirmation letter that you receive after you chose your own room. It does however have a queen size bed, two bedroom chairs and an ensuite bathroom with a tub and shower. I apologize if you found the seat loose. It is a new seat and perhaps if you had mentioned it to any of us while you were there instead of not saying a word we could have fixed it for you. I personally take great offense to everything else that was mentioned. The houses around us are not run down and are actually quite beautiful as the heritage society in PEI takes great pride in the local homes and businesses. Yes it definitely is well travelled as we are located in the capital city of the province and our walking distance to the center of the downtown core is one of the reasons people choose us and keep coming back. Decorating in a bed and breakfast as anyone will tell you is usually the owners personal taste and therefore will usually be different every place you go. If people are going to "grade" you on how they feel about decorating then perhaps a cookie cutter hotel is the best way to go instead of the personal touches in a bed and breakfast. I have never had a personal attack on my personality or character and simply cannot believe your unkind words. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us and that I personally seemed to rub you the wrong way. I thought that I went out of my way to stay up late waiting for your late arrival past regular check-in time, helping you up with your bags and helping you to find a place still open to get something to eat within walking distance. We also had our chef make special dietary breakfasts for you each morning taking special care not to have any cross contamination with any allergies. I have spent 18 years loving what I do and meeting some of the nicest people, making new friends and helping people regardless if it is their first or 20th time to our beautiful Island. I have the feeling that this review was more of a personal attack for some other reason than anything else and that it is obvious that there was nothing that I could have possibly done to change your mind that was clearly made from our first contact and people will see the stark difference from our over 150 + reviews from travellers from all over the world.
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Recently visited Charlottetown. on a solo vacation.Shelley, Reg and Jeff were great hosts. and pointed me to delicious restaurants in the downtown which is five minutes walking distance. The breakfasts were a picture(literally!!) and my room was so cozy to come home from a long day of walking. I would definitely go back especially for the 70 mile yard sales!Thanks for everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Right from the time we walked in the door and Reg introduced himself we felt welcomed and at home. Our room could not have been more comfortable and private, the kind you look forward to coming back to after a day out or a night at the centre for the arts. Everything is in walking distance and Shelley and her brother Reg are there with suggestions and directions. Every morning they serve an excellent, hot full breakfast. Could not have been a nicer stay.

Mission, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Charlottetown is a wonderful place to spend a few days. To make it even better, stay at the Colonial Charm Inn. A beautiful heritage house kept neat as a pin. Shelly is a truly wonderful hostess, enthusiastic and knowledgeable about her city and the rest of PEI. A great location for a stroll of old town Charlottetown. It was a pleasure to stay here; we could have stayed longer.

Houston, TX
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I had booked a room on their website a few months before my actual stay. Two weeks before my stay I was contacted that the room I had booked had under gone renovation and the bathroom no longer had a jetted tub. The inn-keeper offered a discount of approximately $25 or an upgrade to the loft. I took the upgrade. I appreciated the advance notice.

Upon arrival, the inn-keeper's brother welcomed us and gave us a tour. He also gave us some suggestions on where to have dinner, what to do and where I could go for a run.

The loft was VERY big, modern and clean. It was also very quiet as it was on the third level of the house. The only down side was having to carry our bags up two flights of stairs. If you are not fit or have very heavy luggage, I would advice staying in some of the other rooms that are on the second level.

The house is located within a 10 minute walk of downtown Charlottetown and so makes getting to restaurants very easy. Dont have to worry about driving under the influence..hehe. I would recommend eating at Brickhouse. Very yummy and nice ambiance. The house is also located very close to the waterfront which has a long trail for walking/running. I loved running for an hour!

The next morning we met the actual inn-keeper at breakfast. She was super nice and gave us many suggestions on what to do on the island and where to have lunch/dinners. She was also very attentive and ensured our coffee cups were always full. The breakfast consisted of multiple courses and were also very yummy. Great way to start the day.

I would stay here again if in the area.

Lititz
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this fabulous B&B in Charlottetown. It is only a short walk from the downtown, has very comfortable accommodations, excellent full breakfast and wonderful hosts. Shelly and Reg are the best. They are gracious host and have excellent recommendations for restaurants and places to see. This was the best stay of our two weeks in Canada. If back in PEI will definitely stay here again.