“A great PEI experience”

Ranked #3 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Portland
“A great PEI experience”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

If you only have a few days and want to get to know PEI with ease and comfort, the Colonial Charm Inn is the place for you. We did not know what to expect on arriving early for check-in, but were warmly welcomed and offered an upgraded room since we were staying four nights. The Herbert William Suite is an amazing room - newly furnished and huge by any standard, but still cozy in its own way. We just wish we could have enjoyed the private balcony more. Breakfast was something different each day and always scrumptious. Shelley keeps the conversations moving while she serves, and her professional chef brother, Reg, provides a lot of good cooking tips and recipes if you get back to the kitchen. During our 3 week trip to the Maritime Provinces, this was the most comfortable and best value accommodation we experienced.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Hubbards, Canada
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My husband & I spent four nights here in late September. It was our first visit to the island in many years and we found Shelleys tips & travel advise invaluable. She & Reg were amazing hosts & the inn itself is, indeed, charming. Loved the location - just a few minutes walk from downtown. Did I mention the breakfasts? Something different every morning and always absolutely incredible! And there were always homemade sweets & tea/coffee available anytime of the day.We've stayed at many B&Bs and this one tops the list. We're already planning next years visit to Charlottetown & we'll definitely be staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms... the one downstairs was convenient as it had a sort of kitchenette. Sure, i...
Farmington, Maine
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We have never been to PEI before our trip in August of 2013, not knowing what to expect or where to stay, we ended up choosing the Colonial Charm Inn based on a recommendation of someone who has stayed there in the past. We were a little hesitant to stay at a B&B as we were travelling with children.

After a 2 night stay in the recently update attic room, we couldn't have imagined staying anywhere else. The room was fantastic...plenty of room to spread out, great bed, nice bathroom and a nice balcolny to enjoy the city. The location was nice, but the real pleasure was how accomodating Shelley and Reggie were for my wife and I and the kids, they went out of their way to make sure we were taken care of and that all of our needs (and some "wants") were there for us. Breakfast was fantastic. 5 stars!!!!!!

Room Tip: The attic room is fantastic!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Morris, Mb.
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Colonial Charm Inn. Shelley and Reg were wonderful hosts, extremely hospitable and helpful with dinner reservations and travel information. We stayed in the Foster Suite. It was very comfortable but a little noisy as it is right on the street side. The breakfasts were very delicious. The location is superb as you can walk downtown and also go for a walk in the park only a few steps away.

Stayed September 2013
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I stay at B&Bs on all our trips and always love them. This was our first experience where we said "never again." Sure, due to finances we had to book the cheapest room. But this room (called the cozy room) was so tiny it was uncomfortable. The bathroom even tinier.

While we could have coped with this, it was the run down shabby appearance of the bed and bathroom which were the turn off. Peeling wallpaper, a toilet seat that was barely on, threadbare (and I mean threadbare!) towels, and fussy decorating. I love antiques, but the room was just not attractive.

Shelley and her brother were ok, but there was something about Shelley that just rubbed us the wrong way. We couldn't put our finger on it and I guess it was just us.

Breakfast was good, coffee good. As for the location, yes its in walking distance to downtown. But the neighboring houses were run down and the street was heavily travelled. All in all we found the experience to be a big disappointment.

Please don't think I'm one of those "crabby" or "picky" reviewers. If you look at my other reviews you will see this is the first time we did not give a good or excellent review of a place we stayed.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the "cozy room."
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
ColonialCharm, Owner at Colonial Charm Inn, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
First I would like to say I was completely surprised to read this review and I wasn't sure how to respond. Yes the Cozy Queen is our smallest room in our 8 room bed and breakfast as the website clearly states as well as the confirmation letter that you receive after you chose your own room. It does however have a queen size bed, two bedroom chairs and an ensuite bathroom with a tub and shower. I apologize if you found the seat loose. It is a new seat and perhaps if you had mentioned it to any of us while you were there instead of not saying a word we could have fixed it for you. I personally take great offense to everything else that was mentioned. The houses around us are not run down and are actually quite beautiful as the heritage society in PEI takes great pride in the local homes and businesses. Yes it definitely is well travelled as we are located in the capital city of the province and our walking distance to the center of the downtown core is one of the reasons people choose us and keep coming back. Decorating in a bed and breakfast as anyone will tell you is usually the owners personal taste and therefore will usually be different every place you go. If people are going to "grade" you on how they feel about decorating then perhaps a cookie cutter hotel is the best way to go instead of the personal touches in a bed and breakfast. I have never had a personal attack on my personality or character and simply cannot believe your unkind words. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us and that I personally seemed to rub you the wrong way. I thought that I went out of my way to stay up late waiting for your late arrival past regular check-in time, helping you up with your bags and helping you to find a place still open to get something to eat within walking distance. We also had our chef make special dietary breakfasts for you each morning taking special care not to have any cross contamination with any allergies. I have spent 18 years loving what I do and meeting some of the nicest people, making new friends and helping people regardless if it is their first or 20th time to our beautiful Island. I have the feeling that this review was more of a personal attack for some other reason than anything else and that it is obvious that there was nothing that I could have possibly done to change your mind that was clearly made from our first contact and people will see the stark difference from our over 150 + reviews from travellers from all over the world.
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Recently visited Charlottetown. on a solo vacation.Shelley, Reg and Jeff were great hosts. and pointed me to delicious restaurants in the downtown which is five minutes walking distance. The breakfasts were a picture(literally!!) and my room was so cozy to come home from a long day of walking. I would definitely go back especially for the 70 mile yard sales!Thanks for everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Right from the time we walked in the door and Reg introduced himself we felt welcomed and at home. Our room could not have been more comfortable and private, the kind you look forward to coming back to after a day out or a night at the centre for the arts. Everything is in walking distance and Shelley and her brother Reg are there with suggestions and directions. Every morning they serve an excellent, hot full breakfast. Could not have been a nicer stay.