“Had a Wonderful Time”

Ranked #4 of 43 Charlottetown B&B and Inns
Tallahassee, Florida
“Had a Wonderful Time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

Had a great breakfast (chef baked fresh bread, muffins and quiche). The staff went above and beyond to accommodate our dietary needs. Room (Loft) was very clean, private balcony, lots of room. Friendly and made us feel at home. Gave great recommendations and guidance for our stay in Charlottetown. Can't wait to come back for another (longer) stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We booked a room for a late September trip combining Fall Flavours events and business on PEI. Our hostess was friendly, helpful and very knowledgable about all of the island. We felt comfortable and welcome in our spotless room. Breakfasts were delicious-professional chef quality! The location is perfect for anyone wishing to explore Charlottetown, we walked to all activities. When business required an extra night on the Island, we did not hesitate to return to the Colonial Charm Inn, our cosy room, friendly faces and yummy food.
Mike and Wanda

Room Tip: We liked room 8 on the main floor.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

We've been travelling in the east coast for a week and this was definitely my favourite accommodation. It's in a great location in downtown with a few minutes walk to some great restaurants and the waterfront. It was very clean and quiet. The service was very friendly and Shellie made sure that all her guests were well taken of. I loved the little touches including free fast wifi, having a hair dryer, access to the lounge room and balcony, and the daily baked goods and tea available throughout the day. I also loved the lemon grass shampoo. The breakfast was delicious and all the recommendations were spot on. It was tremendous value for the very affordable rate. We're hoping to return next year and will definitely recommend this place to all ours friends and family. Make sure you try her scone cookies when you stop by!

Room Tip: We booked the cheaper room but since there were availabilities, Shellie offered to upgrade us to a l...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

Appreciation of the Innkeeper

From the moment I came to the door
And my foot fell onto the floor
I was taken with the charm of the Inn

Thousands of miles I'd come to roam
To have Shelly and Reg make me feel at home
Truly the best way for my trip to begin

A warm, soft bed to rest my head
Breakfast was a delicious spread
Homemade treats from the farm

But the time came that I had to leave
And more than ever I came to believe
In Colonial Charm Inn's: Charm

I normally don't write reviews. I can't think of the last time I did. But sometimes an experience is just too special to remain silent. Karma demands I tell the you about my stay at the Colonial Charm Inn, because I'd like to think that if others had the same kind of positive experience with a place, they'd write about it, so I could read about it, and make the smart choice.

As a medical student doing fourth year electives I have the privilege of traveling all over the country learning how to be the best physician I can be for my patients. I was delighted when my application for a two week elective on PEI was accepted, and began my search for accommodations. I was intrigued by the Colonial Charm Inn, as I prefer the personal touch of a bed and breakfast to the sterile experience of most hotels. I enjoy getting to know the owners, the community feel that comes from dining with other guests, and the opportunity to stay in a beautiful, historic Victorian who's walls hold many, many tales of island history. My expectations were significantly exceeded.

Flying all over the country, I had a typical traveller's last minute change and was going to arrive to PEI a night early. Gary's warm voice assured me that he had me covered and invited me to stay that night in the loft. I felt relieved and started my day of 20 hours of travel to finally arrive at the Inn.

First impression? Absolute awe at the beautiful stained glass windows, the 100y ear old hardwood floor, gorgeous antique cabinets and decor, shiny wainscotting and moldings that adorned the house. It was like stepping back in time to a scene out of the Anne of Green Gables. Exquisite suits of armor line the second floor landings, while original artwork proudly hangs on the walls. The dining room is splendidly set with delicate table cloths, wooden chairs, and books telling the history of the house, the island, and its people. In fact, a talented local author Hannah has her work available for your perusal. She tells marvellous tales from a first person perspective about growing up on PEI.

Reg cheerily greeted me at the door and after a comforting welcome, we were talking like old friends. He toured me through the house while en route to my loft, that Gary had reserved for me. The loft is not only on the third floor of the house: it IS third floor the house. The ENTIRE third floor. Complete with kitchen, king bed, desk, couch, beautiful bathroom with a bathtub big enough for my 6'2" body to comfortably soak in warm, bubbly water, until my muscles completely relax and I'm ready to just sit and read for bit on the balcony that opens up to the the great outdoors so I can watch the sunset and the foxes come out to play in the twilight. The "room" must have easily been 1200sqft if not more. I've lived in places half this size in Vancouver. It was luxury on steroids. Taken from my rest only by the rumblings of my belly, I came downstairs looking for a recommendation for dinner.

Reg is an expert on how to find the best food on PEI. Having been born and raised on the island and an accomplished cook himself, he knew exactly how to find me the kind of meals that custom suited MY tastes. He asked all the right questions and came up with the perfect place. He'd then consistently go the extra mile and make me a reservation. And it's a good thing he did! The places I went, during my two weeks there, full of locals enjoying their secret spots. I can't remember the number of times I'd hear the occasional tourist, who'd stumbled in and sit next to me say "We should have come instead of those other places we went". After filling my belly full of the best food of my two months on the road thus far on that magical first night - I returned to the Inn in the cold, misty, rain night that defines the east coast Autumn. I was greeted by Reg's friendly smile, and the all important question: "What about breakfast?". Being a professional cook, who also teaches cooking classes, he is a wizard in the kitchen, and wanted to know if I had any dietary issues to accommodate.

I awoke to the mouth watering aromas of fresh baked cinnamon rolls, maple bacon, and homemade bread as the sun was ascending some of the higher rungs of the ladder into the sky. Not usually being a morning person, I raced through my morning routine to go enjoy the stunning flavours that I knew awaited. In short: "It was awesome!"

I spent two weeks at the Colonial Charm Inn and can't recommend it highly enough. But, if you're looking for the uninspired and unimaginative environment offered by hotels that are decorated in Costco and Home Depot's most mediocre, then this place isn't for you. If you're looking for the predictability of a corporate hotel, devoid of personality, so you can be certain that each room looks like every other (no matter what city or country you're in) then I'd recommend one of the chain hotels instead.

But, if you're like me and you travel to try new things, meet the locals, experience the history of the building and the land, the culture of the people, enjoy tasty home cooked meals, conversation with other guests, and engaging and friendly hosts who bend over backwards time and time again to ensure your continued enjoyment, then I can guarantee you won't find better. In fact, in all my world travels: I never have.

In closing I'd like to say: "Thank you" to Shelly, Reg, Gary, and Jeff for making my experience on PEI - Perfect.

And to all you travellers: I hope you enjoy your stay.

Be well,
-=Raistlin

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have stayed at the Colonial Charm Inn again this year when visiting PEI. I would, and have recommended this B&B (Our friends stayed and loved every minute!). From the moment you arrive your made to feel welcome, the owners and staff are awesome and very knowledgeable of the Island.
The rooms are full of charm very comfortable, and tastefully decorated, the name Colonial Charm really does say it all!!! I have stayed in the main floor suite, along with rooms on both floors and have slept great in all, the Inn is always very clean and inviting.
PEI is a truely spectaclar place to visit and would not be whole for us without the hospitality we recieve at the Colonial, a must see Island and place to stay. Thanks again, and see you again!!!

Room Tip: All have been awesome!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Gloucester, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed just one night at Colonial Charm. The pictures are deceiving in the promotional/advertisements. It is a delapidated old Victorian with few redeeming qualities. The breakfast was poor, quiche full of potatoes with chocolate chip muffins, yuk. Wifi was in the hallway. The location was on a noisey street corner with limited parking. Stayed in a different B&Bs every night for a week on PEI and by far it was the worst! We aren't picky travelers but this needs to be made known.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
ColonialCharm, Owner at Colonial Charm Inn, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
In this type of business it is strange that as innkepers we open up such a personal piece of our lives, not just a business and invite in complete strangers without knowing anything at all about them. We then share not only our advice and a piece of ourselves and in some cases our own families and everything we have worked so hard to build and maintain. We are then of course subject to their public and personal opinion which people can of course view before choosing us. We however as innkeepers have no such luxury to return the favor so other people like us can see and accept the wonderful and amazing people who have arrived as strangers but left as friends.
What a disappointment to read your review. We have been in business 18 years and have over 150 reviews and you are the only person that has given us a 1 star review. To people reading this review we have received over 50 reviews this season alone all stating how fantastic our establishment is. With regards to your breakfast comments. Our hot items change daily and as people can see from the other reviews we have two chefs on staff and the one that makes quiche has literally worked all over the world and has been a professional chef for 23 years. I do personally remember asking you if you wanted anything else at all for breakfast as I remember you not eating much of the breakfast nor mingling or speaking with any other guest at the tables. We always have starters of fruit and or yogurt as well as fresh pastries. I apologize for the breakfast that morning not being to your taste but we did offer to make you something else which you simply indicated that you were fine. With regards to the building and pictures, our pictures are very accurate and our building is not delapidated. We have re-invested many $$$ every year to improve and maintain our Inn. There was a major renovation in the spring of this year and the room you were in had a brand new bathroom tub/shower and tile work. As for the parking, that is completly false. We have 6-7 spaces off street depending on car size, as well as 4 along the side of our building. To say we have limited parking is just completly wrong. As for our wi-fi, it does work through the entire house. We would of been happy to offer some tech advice on getting your device working but all our other guests in the room you were staying commented on how fast our wireless internet is. Our location is clearly stated in every website we have. We are in the downtown of the capital city and of course there will be traffic. Our location is usually a plus for people as you can walk everywhere. Each room also clearly states if it is on the front, side or back of the house and which ones are quieter with regards to the street. After a reservation is made and a guest picks their room, they also receive an even more detailed description. We pride ourselves on delivering more than what is expected to our guests and this is the reason alot of our guests extend their stay with us. It is very difficult to have to sit here and write a response to defend ourselves and our 18 year reputation. This is not only our business but it is a part of us that we put everything into.
Portland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

If you only have a few days and want to get to know PEI with ease and comfort, the Colonial Charm Inn is the place for you. We did not know what to expect on arriving early for check-in, but were warmly welcomed and offered an upgraded room since we were staying four nights. The Herbert William Suite is an amazing room - newly furnished and huge by any standard, but still cozy in its own way. We just wish we could have enjoyed the private balcony more. Breakfast was something different each day and always scrumptious. Shelley keeps the conversations moving while she serves, and her professional chef brother, Reg, provides a lot of good cooking tips and recipes if you get back to the kitchen. During our 3 week trip to the Maritime Provinces, this was the most comfortable and best value accommodation we experienced.