“Couldn't pass the temptation”
Review of Dave's Lobster

Dave's Lobster
Ranked #26 of 252 Restaurants in Charlottetown
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Description: PEI lobster rolls, awesome grilled cheese, local craft beer. Eat in, enjoy our sunny deck or take-out.
Titusville
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,321 helpful votes
“Couldn't pass the temptation”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were looking for the Information Center and it was approaching noon so we elected to try Dave's Lobster. At $15.00 each I figured it better be good and I was not disappointed. My wife had the local fare and I elected to try the garlic butter...both were delicious and generous portions. Chips and a soda plus tip and the PEI tax...$44.00. A little pricey compared to the shack I discovered on my way out, but perhaps you get what you pay for. In Bar Harbor, Maine you will pay much more per roll. Hint; If you do not like celery in your lobster roll, they will build you one without. I would go back and try it again. Bathrooms in the same area. Great service.

• Visited June 2014
4 Thank James H

Toronto, Canada
“Good lobster rolls”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Small place, cafeteria-style, but very good. Choice of toasted or not toasted rolls, packed with fresh lobster.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Aileen10
PEI
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Went for supper with friends on recommendation of others.
I can't say the food wasn't good but the experience left me wanting.
Ordered The Taco, thought I'd try something a little different. If I didn't like it that was on me, but I tend to like things a little spicy and that's what Dave's was offering. The others had all ordered The Local, the more traditional style lobster roll.
Got our order and went to find a table. Sat down, and noticed something odd - no taco shell. Just lobster sitting on leaves of lettuce. No problem, took it back to counter. Apparently got someone else's who wanted a lettuce wrap instead of bread. A new one was quickly prepared, and rejoined our group.
Filled in the other couple with us. They'd heard the servers talking while their order was being prepared. The server indicated they must have made a mistake, as someone's lettuce wrap was missing (but they didn't come to correct).
I had 3 bites (about half) and thought, this is just an OK lobster roll but bland, not what I was expecting. The description of the Taco indicated there'd be lime, cilantro, red pepper flakes, topped with their home made slaw. The slaw was present but no hint of the other ingredients.
My guess is the server was preparing lobster for the Local, plopped it on a soft taco shell and voila, but I could be mistaken; maybe I got what I ordered.
I should have taken it back,again, but not wanting to be a nuisance and the others were finishing, so I didn't.
One of the servers came to clean off the table.I thought I'd pass on my disappointment when she asked if we enjoyed our lobster rolls but the question never came.
Comments from others in our group where nice location, lobster roll good/just ok and pricey. At $15 for a lobster roll served with a small bag of chips, I'm not in a rush to go back to see if my experience was just a mishap or if the Taco is truly bland.

1 Thank MyFathersSon
Dave H, Owner at Dave's Lobster, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dave here. I'm really sorry to hear your experience wasn't up to your expectations. Reading your review, it's not up to mine either. A few responses:

1. Re: the order mixup, I'm sorry this happened. I'll remind the staff to be diligent when completing orders. Mistakes like this can always happen. My hope is that they're addressed quickly and completely.

2. Re: not asking how everything was, I will remind staff that they should be checking in with everyone they can, post-meal.

3. Re: the blandness of the taco ... this is the big one. To be completely honest, I had one yesterday and observed the same blandness as you. I don't think you got the wrong thing. I think you got the right thing, wrongly prepared. I am meeting with our chef at the first of the week to review all 3 recipes. We will fix this in the next day or two.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to give us the feedback. We are only 3 weeks old and while most of the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive we don't have everything right ... yet.

If you'd give us another shot, your next meal (hopefully a re-try of the taco) is on me. Shoot me an email at dave@daveslobster.com so I know who you are and I'll make sure you're taken care of next time you're in.

Again, thanks and sorry. DAVE
Orillia
“New kid on the block is a hit”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

This is a new restaurant on the Charlottetown waterfront. Great location and a very good product. The service was efficient and friendly and the lobster roll was delicious! Perhaps a little pricey but there is a very generous portion of lobster on this roll and it also comes with a sour pickle and a bag of covered bridge chips as a side. Yummy.....

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank DOGSTARR
canada
“Finally, a great lobster roll in Charlottetown!”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

At last...made it to Dave's Lobster! I was actually there twice on my first day back to PEI. Once for my favorite breakfast treat, the famous Mary's Cinnamon Roll (with Row 142 Coffee) and again for dinner. I had "The Local" and it was just perfect. Had to use a fork to work my way into it! Buns are made locally and slightly crispy with melted butter. A hint of celery/mayo and chives. Classic. Came with really great potato chips (choice of four flavours) and crisp pickle on the side. I went with one of the seasonal beers.....Blueberry (or maybe two).

All in all an excellent experience. Love the decor and the music. The friendly, efficient staff were super fast.

Having just been in Maine a few days ago and sampling a few great lobsters rolls, Dave's Lobster was actually the least expensive of them all. We had a great meal at Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, Maine, and the comparison for similar meals (regular drink, not beer) would have been $50 for two at Bob's, vs about $40 for two at Dave's.

Next up, the Lobster Taco.......probably tomorrow. :)

• Visited May 2014