“Central for good value”

Charlottetown Backpackers Inn
Brugg, Switzerland
“Central for good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

The hostel is very centrally located and therefore a good starting point for trips inside Charlottetown, but as Charlottetown is central, for any kind of trip on PEI.
At this time of the year, some students life there which creates an interesting mix. Levi's huge movie collection has surely something to offer if you're not up to going out in the evening.

The included breakfast consits of bread, jam, the obligatory peanut butter, fruits, orange juice and banana bread. I hate bananas, but I like the bread nonetheless :-)

The bathrooms and showers were not as comfortable and clean (but this was clearly due to the other guests and not because of lack of cleaning) as I've seen in other hostels.

All in all a cozy place that gets familial with the time of the stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

This is now my third stay at this hostel!

CBI, as it is affectionately known by its staff, is a home away from home is a suberb location that offers more than just a bed for the night. The staff are exceptional coming from across Canada and even the globe to work at this little place that shines with charm and character.

I loved the small touches such as the bed being made when I arrived - no hassle with pillow cases and sheets! There are real duvets instead of cheap blankets and I had a fantastic nights sleep, I awoke the next morning fully rested and ready to go to be greeted with a free breakfast. Home made banana bread is brilliant! I loved the breakfast as everyone came and sat and ate together, discussing their plans for their stay and I arranged a day trip with a couple of other people up to Cavendish for the day. The staff were also on hand to offer their advice and suggestions on what to do and where to go - I went up to East Point and North Cape based on staff recommendations and was not disappointed!

The hostel is located a stone's throw from Downtown and is great for shopping and late night drinking which again the staff are happy to tell you where to go; when I visited they had just implemented a notice board which I thought was a great idea to let everyone know what was going on around the Island.

I was fortunate enough to stay over the weekend and was invited to music trivia with all the staff and other guests and the local pub (of which there are many!) It was a little harder than I imagined but the atmosphere was great and everyone was happy just to participate.

I would recommend a stay here to anyone visiting Charlottetown; especially in the summer when the Island has so much going on.

I stayed in the private room and although more pricey than your other hostels it is well worth it! The bed was so comfortable, I had a TV in my room, towels water bottles and even air conditioning which was great for the warm evenings,

I have also stayed in the dorm rooms and have absolutely no complaints of this fantastic place. Well done to Levi (the well travelled owner) and all the SUPERB staff I encountered!

Room Tip: The double private attic room is gorgeous and well worth the extra money; especially if there are t...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

The location of Charlottetown Backpackers Inn is perfect to see the sights in historic Charlottetown. The hostel itself is in a 1902 home, fixed up to be perfect for hostellers. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and we were invited to take part in the weekly music trivia team event at a nearby pub. The fact that your luggage could be stored safely, and there was a free breakfast featuring homemade banana bread were great extra touches. if you needed an early breakfast, all you had to do was ask.
I have travelled around the world over the past 30 years, staying at many hostels, and this was one of the best: very clean, comfortable, and friendly. Well done Levi and staff.

Room Tip: Room 2, where I stayed, is a female dorm, and had drawers and ample space for all 6 people.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Etobicoke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

I have stayed at many hostels and CBI in my opinion was one of the better ones. It is clean, safe and conveniently located in Charlottetown. The staff at CBI were great and the owner Levi was very accommodating. To guard my bike against theft, once it was in the bike box, Levi let me keep it in the house overnight. In particular, one young man took in upon himself to go above and beyond to help me with my bike. The garage is pretty cool. Although I didn't use all the amenities, the garage had lots to offer (darts, pool table, etc). Breakfast was also included which was a great bonus. During my recent stay, it was unusually hot in PEI and as such, the bedroom was so hot and AC would have been welcomed. If not for the hot bedrooms, I would have rated my stay as excellent.

Room Tip: I stayed in the private room which was a bit more expensive but well worth it. The room had charact...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Charlottetown, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

The inn was clean and well kept. Guests are always happy and having fun and the employees are very helpful. good price, good breakfest and great location.
There was lots to do around the hostel and everyone that worked for the hostel knew their stuff. This house was like a home to me and i will be coming back and bringing more people.
PEI is amazing and the hostel was just the perfect addition to my stay.
Thank you to the staff and amazing guests. I loved it!!!

Room Tip: i loved the mixed dorm. its spacious and you meet men and woman. good times in room 3!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012 via mobile

HI Charlottetown is a quaint little heritage home with great staff. Well located close to the waterfront and minutes from nightlife.We felt very safe at all times. The garage is a great 1970s lounge area with pool table & vinyl records. Will stay here again the next time we come by PEI.

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2012

Spent two nights here in the private room. Staff and volunteers were very friendly and helpful--even went out of their way to provide breakfast when we had to leave early. Our schedule did not allow us to socialize as much, but they had nice indoor and outdoor spaces for doing so. Close to Visitor's Center, shops, restaurants, laundromat.

• Stayed July 2012